NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 AM
Dave

Default Ebay seller returned cracked out slab

I sold a GIA slabbed card and buyer cracked it out to try to get a better grade.

He then asked to return claiming it wasn't authentic, but PSA said it was altered and never said it wasn't authentic.

I accidentally hit accepting return but didn't know at the time the card was cracked out.

The buyer said before it was sent to me on ebay it was no longer in the slab and Ebay said I still had to accept the return.

They even have a policy under conditions of returned item policy for Art and Collectibles. "item must not be removed from sealed packaging" but still made me accept the return.

Can you tell me what they recommend I can do since the card sold for over $5,000?

i have also been in close contact with Ebay high value department who said I had to accept the return even when card is crack out and advised it may not be the same card as sold since it no longer was in the slab which wasn't even returned to me.

Ebay claims after many many phone calls that GAI is not approved grading company and the buyer has the right to regrade but it didn't say that on "items must not be removed from a sealed package" policy listed under Art and Collectibles.

Has anyone had to accept a return after selling a slab card and buyer cracked it out?

Thank you for your comments
Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Robert Williams

Ebay sucks. This is totally not right. You did nothing wrong and are going to wind up taking it on the chin due to Ebay's "The buyer is always right" philosophy.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:24 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Where does buyer live? If in USA, tell them you are reporting them to FBI fraud unit, file police reports for theft and don't forget to blast them on Blowout website. I would not let this go lightly. Also tell them you will take them to court...

Sometimes a little bit of pushback will help you get your item or money back.

Also recommend pushing yourself higher up the ebay food chain for help...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Dave

Dear Tim,

Thank you but a card was returned just cracked out so no proof of original, the police and USPS advised they don't handle these issues. I was thinking of writing a letter to Ebay CEO. I was wondering has anyone had this issue before and what the outcome was? Keep in mind I'm the seller.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The first thing to do, if the situation warrants it, is file a police report with your local department. They are the ones that are your first line of defense as that is where you pay taxes, you are in their jurisdiction, and so forth. The officer taking the report, and who probably takes lots of them, can give you a bit of procedural advice depending on the details. On the ebay stuff it sounds like you are up shi# creek without a paddle.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Garth Guibord

Dang, that is a bad situation. Sorry that it went south and good luck trying to get it resolved.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The first thing to do, if the situation warrants it, is file a police report with your local department. They are the ones that are your first line of defense as that is where you pay taxes, you are in their jurisdiction, and so forth. The officer taking the report, and who probably takes lots of them, can give you a bit of procedural advice depending on the details. On the ebay stuff it sounds like you are up shi# creek without a paddle.
He already said the police refused to handle it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolifedave View Post
Dear Tim,

Thank you but a card was returned just cracked out so no proof of original, the police and USPS advised they don't handle these issues. I was thinking of writing a letter to Ebay CEO. I was wondering has anyone had this issue before and what the outcome was? Keep in mind I'm the seller.
I don't understand. You sold a GAI graded card. You did not get a GAI graded card back. How on earth can Ebay NOT side with you???
Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

That is total BS. If an item in not returned in the same condition as what you sent it in, then it's on the buyer.

Keep calling eBay until you get someone who understands your situation. Insist on speaking with a higher up. Keep calling until you are satisfied. Most people in customer service working for eBay are clueless on how things work. They do not look outside of the box.

Also, post the Buyers's username so he doesn't try to pull that with anybody else.

Good Luck!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 11-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Dave

Ebay sides with buyer per money back policy
Old 11-08-2019, 07:02 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Dear Tim,

Well they are just passing the buck. Have the police file a report as suggested by others and the file a report with FBI internet crimes unit at https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I would also let buyer know what you are doing just to throw the fear of god into them...

Lastly please post buyer so rest of us don't get burned...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Ebay sucks. This is totally not right. You did nothing wrong and are going to wind up taking it on the chin due to Ebay's "The buyer is always right" philosophy.
Just send it in to PSA with Bobby, it will pass eventually. PSA is GAI anyway...
Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't understand this:

"I accidentally hit accepting return but didn't know at the time the card was cracked out."

How was it an 'accident' to accept the return if you did not know the card had been cracked out?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Richard L.

What was the time factor from sell date to return date? Imagine if everyone started doing this. The buyer could never lose only gain. Wtf?
Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Assuming you have the same card back and can sell it again, was the GAI slab really adding much value to it anyhow?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
What was the time factor from sell date to return date? Imagine if everyone started doing this. The buyer could never lose only gain. Wtf?
About 1 week
Old 11-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Dave

He asked for a return and later after I accepted the return advises
it was cracked out. Ebay high value team advised it didn’t
matter and they would stand by buyers for ebay money back policy.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
He asked for a return and later after I accepted the return advises
it was cracked out. Ebay high value team advised it didn’t
matter and they would stand by buyers for ebay money back policy.
Well that f**king sucks.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Just send it in to PSA with Bobby, it will pass eventually. PSA is GAI anyway...
You really are truly miserable and probably need to find a new hobby. One that makes you happier.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Can the op clarify one thing. He stated that it was in a GAI slab ..What was the grade? My point would be if it had a number grade and PSA said it was altered then I think he should take the return. Unfortunately we live in a new world where cards in slabs with number grades are getting proved altered ALL THE TIME. And I am not a lawyer but it would be very difficult to convince a judge and or jury that it was fraud on buyer when the fact is you sold an altered card on ebay. And dont we want ebay to stand up for us when we buy altered cards on ebay?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Dave

No problem accepting same card in same slab but it was removed from slab.

You can keep card in slab for a crossover.

Reason for return was doesn’t seem authentic but it was
authentic.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling
Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

He sold a GAI graded card! Not a PSA/BGS/SGC graded card. Seems he did the right thing, as far as he knew. Now the original item is Damaged.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling
The buyer was gambling. He wanted to turn a GAI card into a PSA goldmine. Now the seller doesn't even get the GAI graded card back. This is a horrible situation and makes me NEVER WANT TO SELL A GAI CARD ON EBAY!!!! The buyer has everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very early GAI grade -- the ones that are supposed to be legit.

Question for the seller -- did you have either SGC or PSA review before you listed, at any point, and if not why not?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-07-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This is getting interesting. It looks like the guy who won this card has a very big feedback. He might be well known in the hobby.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'd trust the early GAI grade over the "PSA Goldmine" opinion any day of the week.

Seller got completely screwed, IMO. Once the buyer cracked it out, it should've been deemed non-returnable. Such a shame, and typical eBay to automatically side with the buyer. Their dumb "blanket policies" should not always apply in the collectibles arena.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The buyer was gambling. He wanted to turn a GAI card into a PSA goldmine. Now the seller doesn't even get the GAI graded card back. This is a horrible situation and makes me NEVER WANT TO SELL A GAI CARD ON EBAY!!!! The buyer has everything to gain and nothing to lose.
This is exactly why this is the buyers fault. Assuming the OP didn’t know the card was altered (which I believe is true) the buyer took a gamble on a GAI slabbed card to turn it into a big win. We’ve all seen cards graded by low end companies thinking what the PSA or SGC grade might be and for me it’s usually a pass for this reason.

Send in the card for crossover in the slab. The buyer didn’t do this because he didn’t want the negative influence of a GAI slab/grade.

Good luck to the OP
Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Person that won the card has over 11K feedback with 99% Positive.... This whole thing seems just a bit odd.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Jonathan Sterling
John, You make a good point. The reason for the return was the card wasn't authentic which is no true it is authentic. The buyer paid lower then market value due to GAI holder and wanted to cross over to PSA. He could have gotten authentic if he wanted but didn't and he could have crossover in slab but again didn't. I bought the original GAI card on Ebay many years ago and even had a screenshot of the sale for Ebay and buyer to see since at one point he thought I alerted the card which isn't true. We all know buying an GAI card has its risks but I didn't think a card can be sold on ebay then slab open an a "card" returned. The question is can a buyer open a slab and then return an unslabbed card for any reason. Maybe another buyers gets SGC graded card on EBay not happy sends to PSA to get a higher grade but they don't grade higher and decides to return unslabed card.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm thinking about sending a letter to Ebay CEO and let him know what is happening.

Ebay has closed the case from their end.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I'm thinking about sending a letter to Ebay CEO and let him know what is happening.
Unfortunately, that and 5 bucks will probably get you something nice to drink at Starbucks...
Old 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

He then asked to return claiming it wasn't authentic, but PSA said it was altered and never said it wasn't authentic.
So did PSA put it in a slab with grade: A?

I don't understand why PSA would render an opinion of authentic without slabbing it. And if that is the case, it would seem the card was over-represented in the first place.

Assuming it was the same card, but that can be verified by pictures of the card you sent & the card you received back.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:04 PM
pete ullman

Aaaaaaaand what card may this be???
Old 11-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
So did PSA put it in a slab with grade: A?

I don't understand why PSA would render an opinion of authentic without slabbing it. And if that is the case, it would seem the card was over-represented in the first place.

Assuming it was the same card, but that can be verified by pictures of the card you sent & the card you received back.
PSA didn't slab the card and said it was altered but my guess is the buyer didn't want it slabbed unless given a number grade.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Tim Odeen

Who do you bank with? I think i would alert my bank that this is a fraud case. Because I imagine the money has moved out of PayPal and ebay is going to have to get the money from you. If you don't pay, and ebay tries to claim money that you have ID'd as fraudulent, that might push this into legal action where the bank might help represent you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I see both sides on this. Buyer did not get what was advertised. Card was advertised as NMINT along with some nice keyword spamming in the auction title. Card was not NMINT, it was altered. So he's got a legit case for a return.

However, not cool to return it cracked out.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Dave Seffernick

Could you PM me his ebay user name. I'd like to block him. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Allan

Post 23 says it came back in a PSA sleeve. I assume this means it came back not slabbed but with the label that says Evid. Trim.?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplyon86 View Post
Post 23 says it came back in a PSA sleeve. I assume this means it came back not slabbed but with the label that says Evid. Trim.?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Buyer could've had a PSA sleeve from a previous bad submission he had, doesn't prove anything about this particular card being submitted. Seller never said there was a flip, just a sleeve.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here