NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Eric
Eric

Default OT: September 11, 2001... Where were you?

I will remember that day very clearly for the rest of my life. I was a senior dental student in a practice management seminar in Iowa City and someone came in and told the lecturer. He took off his glasses and was wiping away tears as he told us. The computer lab was swamped at break. We were dismissed early and I went home and 53/54 channels we had were showing coverage of the attacks. I just felt numb and in a daze that day. Hard to imagine that the images were real.
I am sure many or most of you remember as well. Any other stories to share?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: September 11, 2001... Where were you?

I was a freshman in HS in my keyboarding class. All of the upper class students were basically in tears. My math class was later in the day and my teacher's wife was supposed to be on the first plane. Was very emotional in that classroom. Something I'll never forget.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM

I was in AP History. A teacher came in a said something to my teacher who then told us to go to the library. They had TVs set up. I'm from NY but had no connection to NYC despite being only about an hour and a half from it. It was weird being so close but also far away from everything.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I was off that morning...watching as the second plane hit...

My shift started at 4pm that day...large office with hundreds of folks in cubicles...very quite...we were all in shock.

Those moments changed many of our lives.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 AM

I was serving a two-year LDS mission in Denton, Texas.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Ben North

I owned a masonry construction company and was putting brick on the steps of a house. Weirdly we never had a radio on the job site, that day we did. It is one of the few days in life I know exactly what I was doing.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

I started at home, saw an email when I got up from a friend just saying "if you're not watching tv you should be" So I asked what channel and he replied "any of them" - First clue I had something big was happening. Eventually I went in to the bike shop figuring people would want a to gather and talk or stop somewhere for updates. Only had 3-4 customers all day. - The place is right on a bike path and especially at the time was a bit of a community hangout since we had picnic tables and ice cream and were totally ok with non-bicycle customers.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

I was in Washington, DC. Saw the smoke rising from the Pentagon. Never forget.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 09-12-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Kyle May

I just posted this in the other 9/11 thread.

I was in 1st grade at the time. My class had about 20 kids in it. By noon, there were only 10-13 from parents pulling their kids out; nobody knew what was going on, and the one plane was hijacked over Cleveland, which is 40ish minutes from the school. I left in the early afternoon for a doctor's appointment, and remember the entire ride there listening to the somber tone of the radio news host, followed by "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. When I got home after the appointment and was able to see the destruction, I was confused. Being so young, I didn't understand. I grew up in a very Patriotic family and wanted nothing more than to help, even at the age of 7.

I wrote a letter to President Bush in the days following the attacks. I don't remember what I said, but his team responded with pictures and a generic letter. Pretty cool at the time (I still have it).

Every year, I watch YouTube videos and TV shows that recall the horrific events that unfolded that day. I shed tons of tears and always try to learn a new story.

I will Never Forget.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I was between classes in college. Walking to the parking garage with other classmates there were a couple of people outside a fox affiliate radio station booth for the St. Louis area. We walked by all the time and no one ever gathers outside the station, even if it is just one or two, so we thought someone may be doing an interview. We just off the cuff asked a gentleman what he was watching. He explained that a plane had just crashed into one of the twin towers in NY.

The station's TV's were viewable through the window and that was what was being watched. While watching and talking to the Gentleman trying to figure out what he knew about the crash the second plane came in and hit. Since we had just arrived we assumed they were replaying the original crash before it was obvious that it was the second. We stood there watching long enough to watch the towers fall. As time went on the crowd just grew larger. The gentleman we first talked to was at this point yelling "This is war, we are going to war now!"

Our school had to close for the day because an hour after getting back to the school a bomb threat was called into the school.

That evening I worked a shift at Wal-Mart and there were masses of people coming in to stock up on stuff as well as gas cap locks. Yet they weren't unruly or rude they seemed to want to just talk about the day and converse about what they knew.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-11-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

In a high rise in Times Square. Watched the fires but left before the collapse. Walked from 42nd Street to 180th Street in Washington Heights to try to walk over the GW bridge. Got there about 5 minutes after they closed it to pedestrians. Found out years later that the Port Authority employee in charge of the bridge has same name as me. Odd coincidence. Ended up having lunch in a Dominican restaurant at 11 am and drinking a few Presidente beers. All very surreal to say the least. Walked miles and miles that day but was on adrenalin and utter confusion.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-11-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Bob McLean

I was at work as a high school principal at the time. I remember going from class to class and not much work going on as the staff and students were in shock. Many parents came in and picked up their children and took them home to share the moment. I remember talking to some of the older students about the significance of this event and how I thought our country would never really be the same.

In looking back it is amazing how resilient our people are. Things went in a tailspin for a while, but as usual we picked up and kept on with our lives. Hope this sort of attack never happens again, but it seems hard to imagine it not happening with all the forces of evil in the world.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I was working for Lucent Technologies, at a local Waffle House.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

I was driving from Stamford, CT, to Purchase, NY, on the Merritt Parkway when the radio mentioned that it was believed "a small prop plane" hit one of the towers. Initially, it didn't sound nearly as grave a situation as it really was. I walked into work to see a bunch of my colleagues gathering around a TV in a conference room. We watched live as the towers fell, and there were folks in that room who knew people in and around those buildings. We were sent home from work, and I remember falling asleep later that day in hopes that I'd wake up to learn it was all a bad dream. It wasn't.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 AM
M@rk Lu7z

I was in Annapolis, listening to the morning news on the radio while preparing for work. The news sent me to the TV, and I stayed home to see the whole horrible story unfold. But my wife had to take our baby to his two-month checkup that morning, and so I was wondering the whole time if the events of that day would change the world that he would grow up in.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

My ex was divorcing me and I was as driving home from a counseling session. Heard it on the radio. I was an FAA air controller on a 4-midnight shift. When I got to work all air traffic was on the ground and suspended.
Larry
@ndrew woo.dfin

I was on base in Minot ND doing some work for the base commander at his office. I remember hearing something and looking up at the TV and seeing the first tower on fire. The base commander made a call to SF/MP "upgrade ThreatCon to Delta. This is not an exercise. I repeat ThreatCon Delta is not an exercise!" and closed the base down. He told us to pack it up and report back to our Shop and await further instructions. He said "I just know this is not an accident" Seemed about 30 sec later the second plane hit.

Regardless of peoples support or opinions I do not regret anything other than getting out to soon. I got to be part of the surge, Battle of Baghdad, OEF, OIF, OSW, and so much more.

Member since 2009
T0m C@rf@gn0

I was on my way to work on Route 22 in Union NJ. There is one bend in the road where you would go around it and the towers in NYC would be right in front of you. I got around the bend and saw the smoke coming from the first tower that got hit. Got to work as quickly as I could and was the only one listening to what was happening (small manufacturing company). My boss was in a meeting and I told him about each of the towers as they fell. Rat bastard wouldn't let us go home early.

So 5:00 I am leaving and as I get outside and look up I see the smoke and dust from the towers going over the area in NJ. For days afterwards the was an amazing stillness. Not much auto traffic and no plane traffic. The silence would be broken when fighter jets roared overhead.

My father had worked in the towers for decades. I have pictures of my family watching the bicentennial fleet of ships (1976) coming up the river as we watched from near the top of one of the towers. He moved on from that job in 1988 but he knew many people from that office that was still there who were killed.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Paul

As I, too, mentioned in another thread, I was on a subway under the towers as the second plane hit. Back then I lived in Brooklyn and commuted to Manhattan every morning. I had heard a "rumor" that a plane had hit one of the buildings as a boarded the 2 train at Grand Army Plaza, heading for midtown via Wall Street area. I figured it was a small prop plane, if anything.

As we got to the downtown stations, Fulton Street, etc., the train didn't stop but just kept going through. Over the speaker we heard there was a "police investigation" so we were going to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. When we got there, instead of people getting off as usual, the subway got mobbed by people boarding. They were in tears and visibly shaken. That was how I learned that a second plane had hit.

I got out at Grand Central. As I walked up the stairs to Lexington, across the street from the Chrysler Building, they were evacuating the building, and everyone was looking up expecting a plane to hit it, too. I got home that night by walking over the Manhattan Bridge, under a thick cloud of black smoke and military helicopters whirring above me - and F-15 fighters a bit higher in the sky. There were dozens of people handing out water and graham crackers to anyone who crossed the bridge. My apartment, which once had a view of the Twin Towers in the distance, smelled like burning plastic for quite awhile, as the smoke floated over Brooklyn for what seems like it must've been at least a few weeks.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Was on the NJ turnpike listening to Imus when Werner Wolf called in to report he had seen a plane hit a tower. Looked to my right and saw smoke. I worked at the Meadowlands, when I left for home our parking lot was filled with ambulances and emergency aid vehicles. When I arrived the next morning, they had all been replaced by heavy construction vehicles.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Fred

I was actually the City Adminstrator for my home town at the time. Small town but I was responsible for the day to day operation of the city including the full time fire police and Dpw departments. We're about 2 hours east of NYC. Very surreal when that second plane hit on tv. Even that far away city people were unnerved and looking for answers. I could imagine what officials closer were going through.

I believe we had volunteers that went into the city to help at the firehouses later on.

Just not a good day.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Peter F

All these stories bring me right back.

I was in my apartment on Upper West Side in Manhattan listening to the radio getting ready to leave for work. They reported a plane had flown into one of the towers, no one knew much more at that moment. I remember thinking it must be a small private plane.

I left for work but something told me not to go down into the subway so I ducked into my local diner who had a small TV on and sat there for an hour or so. A group of NYers all staring at disbelief at the TV.

Yet I STILL took a cab to my midtown office. All my coworkers were waiting downstairs.

A few NJers who weren't up for the trek home, walked back uptown to my apt, and as we walked north all we had to do was turn our heads to see the smoke. We watched the news the whole dreaded day.

Today here in NYC is the exact kind of weather as 2001. Clear, sunny, crisp.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Ken McMillan

Northern Minnesota on vacation at a resort. Watched the 2nd plane fly into the second tower.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM

I was working for the Chief of Naval Operations at the Naval Interoperability Tactical Center. Although work was of the utmost importance, I was mentally beside myself THiNKiN of my Brother who was a NY City Policeman working Ground Zero.

We are Best Brothers to the End...
And He has Nevar Spoken a Word to me about What Happened THaT Day!

Vigilance has become a Family Motto,

"iN my MiND, THiS Day iS Memorialized!"
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
In a high rise in Times Square. Watched the fires but left before the collapse. Walked from 42nd Street to 180th Street in Washington Heights to try to walk over the GW bridge. Got there about 5 minutes after they closed it to pedestrians. Found out years later that the Port Authority employee in charge of the bridge has same name as me. Odd coincidence. Ended up having lunch in a Dominican restaurant at 11 am and drinking a few Presidente beers. All very surreal to say the least. Walked miles and miles that day but was on adrenalin and utter confusion.
Where in Times Square, Steve? I was at 1515 Broadway on the 46th floor. I walked from my apartment on 34th and 1st over to work and slowly pieced together what had happened as I talked to people. My cell phone was not working as I tried calling my parents...as I was walking all I could see was smoke in the sky coming from the south. Will never forget seeing the TV footage of the planes hitting and then looking out the window while the Towers burned. Remember it all like it was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I was in the first grade in Rhode Island. I don't remember the day itself, but I do remember over the next few days the school handed out large cardboard signs that had the flag on one side, and the lyrics to Star-Spangled Banner and another song (God Bless America?) on the other. About five years later, I was flipping through the channels and saw what I thought was a horror movie, that showed a wall of ash tearing through a city and smothering everything in its path. It wasn't until I checked the program guide that I saw it was a documentary about 9/11, and that was footage from the tower collapse.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Teaching school on Long island. Knew it was bad when the principal called all students to main office if their parents worked in the towers. You could see the smoke coming from Manhattan on the second floor of the school which is probably 30 miles away. When school let out I went to pick up my daughter at a day care. My town fire department was out in full force and heading into Manhattan to help out.
3 families in my neighborhood lost a love one that day and one of my students lost his Dad.
When I took my shower before work this morning I was thinking of all who perished that day...you just never know when the end will come... I am sure no one thought the morning of 9/11 that this is my last shower and I won't be coming home tonight. Don't forget your tell the people in your life that you love them.pick up the phone and make a call to mom,dad,or that brother or sister your fighting with.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Default A Memory & Few Mementos

I Remember….

That morning I was sitting in my new office with a view looking South. Due to a promotion, I'd been relocated here. What a great view! I could even see the upper floors of the WTC in the distance from my window. The old office, at 90 Church, was directly across the street from the Trade Center. There my view was blocked by the towers, only giving me a view of the Center's plaza. Just three days ago, I met and had dinner there with a colleague. I was feeling good, could hardly wait for my day to end. Thanks to my Yankee CC incentive program, I had tickets to see Yankees vs. Chicago at the Stadium that evening.

Due to the bright sunlight that morning, I had shut my blinds. A co-worker came in and asked me to open them. He heard that the WTC was hit by a plane. I immediately thought terror attack. We looked and saw a cloud of smoke from one of the towers, we turned on the radio and tried to call our colleagues located at the offices across from the Towers....couldn't get through.
The staff gathered to watch from my window, and then the second tower got hit. All we could see was smoke as we listened to the radio. We were in shock…some started crying…some began praying. Then the first building collapsed..... we saw a mushroom cloud....we evacuated.

I caught a cab, but after a few blocks he refused to continue. The city was locked down. I walked home….everyone was afraid. When I reached home, my answering machine was blinking with messages from friends and loved ones, wanting to know if I was safe. I couldn’t help it… I began to cry.

A few of my mementos....
Yankee Tickets....

The Flag.. Everyone raised the Flag! Together we Stand!
Flags were flown from buildings, automobiles, store fronts, Lapels.... chants of USA! Mmmm…. how soon they forget. I proudly wore my pin, never wore one before. My employer also issued a special lapel Flag with our acronym, and a letter of commendation for the work we were doing during the crisis.

Heroes Comic.... Comic writers and illustrators honor those who perished in service. Proceeds to The 911 Fund

US Postal Heroes Stamps... Proceeds to the Federal Emergency Management Agency

WTC Steel Commemorative Medallion.... 10% Proceeds originally stated for The Fund for The City of NY. After public outrage, the Fund denied involvement. This controversy halted production and distribution to the issuing foundry. Shipment and recycling of the WTC steel was then rethought and managed differently. I wanted a medallion, made contact with the company marketing rep, and was successful. I've never shown this before today.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Duncan

Lake Placid, NY for a conference. A day just like today. Clear blue sky and a touch of crispness to the air. More than half the people at the conference were from Long Island but couldn't get home since all the bridges were closed.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Tony N.

Default 9/11/01

I was a freshman at PSU, and my day off was Tuesday & Thursday from class. I worked at the US Postal Service on my off days, and I was sorted thru address changes and forwarding mail to the new zip codes.

The one lady told me that an airplane hit the WTC. I didn't think too much from that statement, but once 3 more planes hit other targets, the towers collapsed, and they let us watch TV in the break room, it was a day I will never forget.

The next day I bought a new car, and the finance manager at the dealership told me that his brother worked in the World Trade Center, but he forgot to set his alarm since he was up watching Monday Night Football the night before. I think he was a Giants fan. He slept in past 9:00am, never made it to the office that day. He said MNF saved his brother's life. Crazy story.

Can't believe it's been 16 years already.

Tony
Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I was at my office but the thing I remember most was coaching a 6-year-old softball team. We decided not to call the game off. I don't recollect much about the game, but I remember we all enjoyed not thinking about it for a couple of hours. Mostly I remember no airplanes passing overhead as air traffic had been grounded.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM

I was driving into D.C. for my job on Capitol Hill. Once at work, I could see the smoke at the Pentagon from my office. I remember walking outside gazing at the Capitol dome and hoping it wasn't next.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I was 25, had been living in Denver for about a year after a move from Massachusetts.

Couldn't fucking believe it....saw the second plane hit on the news.

Truly insane.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Eric
Eric

Thanks for all the posts so far. It is very interesting to read how well most of us remember this day. It is also always neat, I think, to hear more about fellow collectors aside from what cards we have. What a day.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:35 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

was driving across bay bridge in San Fran (am I the only one on this thread from the west coast?).

Took the whole family to the newly opened WTC/memorial about 2 months after they opened it. Was amazing; something every family should do. Went to the top floor and absorbed it all in. Two of my kids were not born and one was a year old when it happened.

Sat them down near the window and gave them our version of events. Wanted them to understand two things:

1.) don't spend a minute of your life hating another race/religion/country/orientation. Respect everyone regardless of our differences.
2.) Make sure your generation slaughters every terrorists that threatens our country, and freedom is worth dying for.

I will never forget that day.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Greg Mitchell

Grand Central Station. In NyC all day. Close friend (and my Little League coach) near top of WTC. R.I.P.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I was off to war. Semper Fi
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Thank you for your service
Old 09-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I was on the 9th floor of the Union County Jail in Elizabeth, New Jersey visiting an inmate. Beautiful clear view of lower Manhattan just across the river. Watched the second plane hit. Went across the street to the Courthouse and listened to the radio as the towers fell. We were numb with shock. Everyone in the Courthouse knew people who worked in the towers. I had been there just the week before. The image of that plane is etched in my memory
Old 09-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Thank you for your service.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Marty K.

Default 9/11/2001

I was playing Baseball on Doubleday Field...Our game started at 9:00 and ended around 10:15...... 7 innings. Right after the game the managers called us all to home plate. As we stood in a circle around home plate we were told what had happened. There were many guys from the city there and even a couple of NYC firemen.
Surreal.....I immediately went back to my Bed and Breakfast on Chestnut Street and watched all morning long in my uniform. At 2:30 or so I went to the HOF in a daze....Hardly anyone there of course. Took a picture in front with the flag at half mast........the rest is a blur.... overwhelmed...in shock..
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Awesome, Marty!

I attended the HOF Game there in 1999, but they didn't let me play.
It was the Rangers vs. the Royals, though many of the stars sat it out.

It was the last year they had the HOFG on Induction Weekend...what a shame.

Me and a pal did play catch on the grassy incline which faced the just completed Induction Ceremonies, but that was held on the site of some soccer fields.

We thrilled some of the remaining drunks (they were just 'pleasantly distracted') with what was left of our curveballs.

- never seen so many porta-potties in my life!

Thanks for sharing

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Thank You, Eric - for your service and sacrifice.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I was on my planning period (teacher), getting ready for the day. Another teacher came in and said "A plane just flew into one of the Towers." My reaction was a resounding "Huh!" as I pictured some yahoo flying their little plane into it. So I went on worrying about my lessons. Then she came back and said "Another plane just hit the other tower!" That's when my brain turned on and we rushed to a TV. The rest of the day, I felt like I was in a bad, horrible movie.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Rob

I worked in the home office of a large healthcare provider. We have over 5,000 people in our building...each floor has cubicles for as far as the eye can see.

I was in a meeting. Someone stuck their head in the room and said a plane just hit the World Trade Center. We all thought it was some private pilot in a small plane that got lost in the clouds. We finished the meeting and as we left the room, we were met with an odd, empty, silence. Everyone was gone. The cubes were empty. Way down at the end of the floor we saw a crowd. Everyone was huddled around a TV. I got there in time to see the second plane hit. Our office was closed shortly after that.

I had just moved into an apartment in the landing path of an international airport. Every five minutes it sounded like a jet was going to land in my living room. It was a very eerie feeling in the days following 9/11.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Tony

Working in Baltimore watching on tv with co workers. Lost a high school buddy. My wife lost 3 very close family friends. My brother worked on wall st downtown. Nerve racking couple hours trying to reach him.

My father in laws birthday is today sept 11th. Turns 79. He's retired army and sand hog in NYC. He's extremely patriotic. In 2001 vowed to never celebrate his birthday again. His health is not the best so tonight is the first time in 16 years the entire family got together for his birthday. Bittersweet.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 PM

My wife, daughter and I were on vacation in Spain. I remember looking at a TV as we were walking out the door from this great roadside restaurant in the Picos de Europa and seeing a building on fire, but it didn't connect. About an hour or two later, we arrived at our hotel in Potes, which is a remote village in the mountains and it was on the tv in the bar. Everyone was amazing to the three of us and the rest of the day was a blur. Our daughter was less than two and we tried to be strong for her, and took her to a carnival where we met up with a young Spanish couple who literally led us around for the rest of the day. The rest of the trip was spent trying to connect with friends and family ( from NJ here) and wondering what was next. The feeling of being so disconnected from the events was (and still is) difficult to explain.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

On a train headed into NYC for a meeting at World Financial center. When it pulled out of linden you could see the towers and black smoke was pouring out of one. I called my wife and she turned on the TV and it said a plane had crashed into the WTC. Saw second plane hit and everyone on plane was crying out of concern for folks they knew. When train got into Penn Station I walked right down and got on a train going back home ( I was told the last to leave Penn station that morning) When the train came out of the tunnel one tower was already down the second collapsed before we reached Newark. I had finished a project on the 40th Floor of one WTC on August 27th. I have never looked at the city the same way since. Now when I go to city I drive in. Sad day
Old 09-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I was a high school student and ended up getting pretty sick the night before. I told my mother that I wasn't going to school the following morning and not to bother me. The next morning however, I was shaken pretty aggressively by her and nearly had a heart attack. I was just about to ask her what the hell she was doing, but the expression on her face told me that something was really wrong. All she said was "come into the living room and look at the TV." I quickly got up and when I stood in front of the TV, I saw that CNN was on. I just couldn't believe what I was watching - looked like a scene from an action movie. We were all so stunned. Very sad day.

Last edited by samosa4u; 09-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Bry@n

I was here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-71.4075413

in the middle of the Peruvian Amazon studying spider monkeys. The site is in the middle of nowhere - you fly into Lima, fly into Cusco in the mountains, fly down to the lowlands and land at a grass airstrip cut out of the forest. There is a small village, Boca Manu, there with mainly thatched-roof houses. From there, it was a 13-hr boat ride up a river with only indigenous people save for one tourist camp fairly near the settlement. Arrive at the right spot on the river and then it was a 2-km walk to get to the field station on a small oxbow lake.

The only communication we had was an incredibly expensive satellite phone that sometimes worked and a cb radio to talk to the people in the small village. The night of the 11th people were eating dinner when the radio crackled, telling us that planes flew into the buildings at 9 am that morning, both buildings collapsed, and that each building might hold 50,000 people. That was it, no more info.

The girlfriend of one of the guys I was with worked a couple blocks away. We spent the rest of the night on the satellite phone trying to reach someone's family or friends but that took forever because all of the phone lines were busy and the satellite phone didn't work well anyway. Finally someone got through to someone in (I think) California and gave them instructions to check on the people in New York. It wasn't until the next night that we were able to get an update (everyone was ok).

That night and the next day were surreal - out in the middle of the jungle, sleeping in a tent, following monkeys around and not having any idea how many people were lost, whether there were additional attacks, who was responsible, etc. We got a bit of news over the phone (I think calls were like $5 or $7 per minute) but not much.

A few weeks later a new group of researchers came in and brought some magazines and newspapers and they were all read cover to cover by everyone there (Americans, Colombians, Peruvians, Brits, and Canadians). I remember sitting there and staring for minutes at a fuzzy picture of someone who had appeared to have jumped head first from one of the towers (Newsweek perhaps).

On my trip home in November, long hair, worn out field clothes and boots, worn backpack, I was searched more times than seemed possible and still remember the soldiers with machine guns in the airport in Texas as I entered the US. It was also surreal returning home - I was moved by what had happened but still short on details and had neither really lived through it nor been subjected to constant coverage, discussion, and worry. I got home to find that everyone had changed and that I was on the outside a bit.

Sorry for the long post, I thought some might like to read this.