NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 PM
N
Banned

Default The card that got away twice...is it gone for good? & Share your cardhunting stories!

Update: Click here for denoument post.

I have been hunting down this particular T206 card since early January. I check eBay and N54 often for any Kling, so I was shocked when this card slipped past my defenses...twice. Initially, it was sold as a lot in early January, but then changed hands again...boo. Gee whiz!

Do you have any stories you'd like to share about hunting down a particular card? How long were you searching for?

Cheers,
NJ

Photos:
1 + 2: Card sneaks past me in a lot that sells on 1/12
3: Card is then relisted by the purchaser of the lot and is sold in 6 minutes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klingom.jpg (56.7 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg klingom3.jpg (48.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg kling.jpg (36.3 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by njdunkin1; 02-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Tony Davis

Oh Snap...

It was puchased 6 minutes after it was listed... That means some one out there has a Kling Old Mill saved as an instant, super, mega alert. Don't kick yourself... you had no chance unless you watched ebay 24/7!

The funny thing is the guy who bought the original lot thought that the Matty was the tough card, then the Evers port, then a few others... lastly, he thought, I'll list this OM Kling for $70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kling.jpg (66.4 KB, 652 views)

Last edited by t206fix; 01-21-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Sean Costello

I was the underbidder on a T206 Plank three times before I finally got one.

Not really a good comparison I suppose. I was the underbidder on the same card, a Street/ Lenox, twice in two months. I still haven't found another one.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I was the underbidder on a T206 Plank three times before I finally got one.

Not really a good comparison I suppose. I was the underbidder on the same card, a Street/ Lenox, twice in two months. I still haven't found another one.
Whoa! A Street Lenox sounds like a tough card to find. Grateful you found a Plank, Sean--one of my favorite designs in the set!

Last edited by njdunkin1; 01-21-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Rich v@n He$$

I once bought an Ebay BIN within minutes of it being listed. The seller is a great contributor to this board as well. Just one of those things....I sat down on a Friday night looking to do some deep searches and it just happened to be listed at the same time. Card was a 1939 Canadian Goudey, particular player that I collect. Just not many out there.

A few years ago I let one particular 1959 Volpe slip away assuming it was a reasonably easy catch. Havent seen another example since.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

You can have an eBay alert go directly to a text on your phone in case anyone doesn't know. I have bought a few things less than a minute after posted.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-21-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:45 AM
D@le Irv*n

Just recently, I was bidding on some 52 Topps cards, which the seller had replied to me that they did in fact ship to Canada, but didn't tell me the fees.

Assuming (bad decision) shipping was likely around $8-$15, I carefully bid on some cards but kept my bids under $15.00 per card. I ended up winning 3 and found out shipping was only $1.45

If I had of known (my fault for not asking) I definitely would have bid higher on quite a few more cards, which I seen, after the fact, they sold for very reasonable prices.

I also think back, when I joined the site, the many cards I seen that I wanted but being uneducated I didn't purchase any only to see those same cards now out of reach for me!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Ebay sends me emails on my followed searches. How can you change it so that you receive texts? Would rather my wife doesn't get all of the search emails.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleClark23 View Post
Ebay sends me emails on my followed searches. How can you change it so that you receive texts? Would rather my wife doesn't get all of the search emails.
I second this question...
Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I do most of my ebay trolling on my phone with the mobile app. When you do a search, there is the option (upper left corner of screen) to Follow it. Once you hit follow you'll get two options Alerts over email and Alerts over phone. You can choose either or both. Obviously you need to register your mobile number with ebay to get phone alerts.

I can't figure out how to set up texts on their regular internet site. Maybe you can only do by phone, but that's stupid if it's the case.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-21-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i missed out twice on a joe jackson w514 and havend come across one since - i also missed out on a babe ruth contiero once - and have not seen one since - ugh...
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I once won in auction a Jerry Dvorak (the 1953 Topps painter) painting of Buck Leonard that hung on my wall for several years. I finally sold it. A year or so later, it was offered for auction again and the price was right, so I bought it a second time and put it back on the wall in the same spot.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
i missed out twice on a joe jackson w514 and havend come across one since - i also missed out on a babe ruth contiero once - and have not seen one since - ugh...

I did the exact same thing with the W514 Jackson on eBay a year and half ago and then bought a raw one from a board member and sent it to SGC and got a 60!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
I did the exact same thing with the W514 Jackson on eBay a year and half ago and then bought a raw one from a board member and sent it to SGC and got a 60!
Nice avatar lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Howard Chasser

Default 1959 Willie Mays box

Negotiated a deal with ebay seller for a 1959 Willie Mays Bazooka box for around 1k (it was a number of years ago). He turns around and tells me he is selling it for a friend and his friend doesn't want him to sell it to me (even after explaining to his friend that we already had a deal and he thought it was a reasonable price at the time). The guy seemed legit. A week later it is listed as an auction on ebay again (different seller - original owner? I was really pissed and was determined not to bid more than the 1k the original deal was for. I didn't and ended up being the under bidder Probably needless to say - I have not seen another.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Lee Hen.ebry

My first T206 Broad Leaf 460....Took about half a decade before I was able to purchase one.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I once won in auction a Jerry Dvorak (the 1953 Topps painter) painting of Buck Leonard that hung on my wall for several years. I finally sold it. A year or so later, it was offered for auction again and the price was right, so I bought it a second time and put it back on the wall in the same spot.
Lol, awesome story David
Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

A couple things.

Oddly, a Jose Canseco was the last card I needed for the 1988 Topps set. Easy right? Nope, took 2 years to get one. At the time it had fallen into that limbo of not being a common, but also not worth enough to be in the showcase. So every time I asked the answer was "sure we have that....Out back somewhere"

And, not cards, but one that got away and later didn't and one that did and I'm now glad it did.
The stamp dealer whose shop I hung out at briefly got into cards. He picked up a couple nice items, and two I wanted were a nice older photo of Fenway Park, and a Ty Cobb letter. The Cobb letter was too much, the photo a bit more than I wanted to spend. I've become convinced the Cobb letter was a complete fabrication by Stump. Green maybe felt pen on Cobbs stationery. First page was typical reply to a fan - thanks for remembering me, etc. The second page was really downright mean stuff just as Stump portrayed him.
The photo was a neat pic of a game in progress and signed by "some front office guy"
Eventually I moved was doing a bit better and decided to buy them both, saved up and went to the shop but he'd gotten out of cards about a month before and sold everything. He checked with the guy who bought it all to see if he still had them, no luck he'd moved the stuff wholesale almost right away.

A couple years later I go to the Shriners show and in a binder of random stuff, there's the photo. Same price as it had been, so I bought it.

After a while I decided to look up the guy who signed it.

Yeah, "some front office guy" was Frank Navin, Tigers owner. Didn't figure it out for a while because I was looking for a Red Sox front office guy. DOH!

Steve B
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
N
Banned

Default Update...

Morning, all --

A stroke of luck in the search: the second seller was able to put me in touch with the buyer. After a few e-mails and some discussion, we were able to come to a price which was fair for both parties. I signed off on the Kling this morning--he is now a proud new member of the Dunkin Kling back run!
Enjoy the scans

NJ

Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM

I've been fortunate. With my eclectic collection if I miss out on a card I just wait for another to come up regardless of time. No worries.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Sean Costello

Great going NJ. How many do you still need?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Great going NJ. How many do you still need?
Thank you, Sean
I'm sitting at 5/11, with three toughies out of the way (both Sovereigns and the OM).
Any cards I don't have by mid-July I hope to snag at the National this year.

Last edited by njdunkin1; 02-04-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Correction date for National. Thank you, Val :]
Old 02-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Val Kehl

NJ, I think you meant to say "mid-July," instead of "mid-August."