NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Man, Wheaties are getting expensive.....

The breakfast of Champions must come with financier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Wheatie...item540e395d38
Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM
pete ullman

have u seen the price of bacon lately...breakfast is getting very expensive!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

This particular seller has dozens of cards and oddball items that I would love to have, but their prices are outrageously high.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Rich Klein

That is Mike Mosier who is among the leadiing "odd-ball" dealers in the country and many times he pays strong prices for good items too.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM

I've dealt with Mike/Columbia City on different occasions, but this item is a wee bit off the chart.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I've dealt with Mike/Columbia City on different occasions, but this item is a wee bit off the chart.
One of a kind Lou Gehrig card? Hard to say what a good value is on something like that.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM
K!ya S@bet

Seems like the seller just wings it on pricing. Take a look at other auctions. Lots of "Only one known" stuff.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Mike

Has been acquiring unique and oddball items for longer than many on this board have been buying cards period. If mike states it is the only one known their is a good chance he is telling the truth as he knows it. He is a wealth of knowledge on esoteric and unique cards. He is not cheap but why should he be on such rare treasures.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
One of a kind Lou Gehrig card? Hard to say what a good value is on something like that.
I agree, Mike Mosier is definitely one of the kings of odd-ball stuff, his table at the various shows is always a fun one to poke through (the most eclectic booth I have ever seen with stuff literally stacked everywhere.) His prices tend to be on the slightly high side overall but he also has many things at VERY reasonable prices and I have purchased many things off of him over the years, but it is also one of those situations where it may be years if you want to find the same piece being offered again at any price.

In this case, that is definitely a strange Gehrig piece and the single-serving Wheaties "cards" have always been really popular as you really only got those on trains, at hotels and restaurants (not nearly as common as the regular box back cards that are a tough sell.) I'd want to see another before I ever decided it was a legitimate single serving Wheaties issue, and at that price I certainly wouldn't be a buyer even if everything checks out.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM
pete ullman

i know those mini wheaties are tough...but there's gotta be more gehrigs out there for sure. definitely a rare piece...maybe 8-10K on a good day?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is an ask price not a reported sale price. Cocicoco has had some items in its inventory for years without a sale. I've seen the same overpriced uncut strips of bread labels for many years. I suspect the Gehrig will be part of its virtual museum for many years to come. Then again, you gotta love a seller who knows he has a rarity and sticks to his guns on price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Todd Schultz

Neat piece for sure. I suspect it's trimmed on the bottom though, so as to remove the "Breakfast of Champions" "whole wheat goodness" yadda yadda message. By the description, it measures 3/4" short top to bottom, which seems like that would just about fit that breakfast message. I guess when you're looking at that level of scarcity you take what you can get, but some purists might balk, and especially at that price.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Barry Arnold

Default brian

part of the reason I switched to granola years ago.

all the best,
barry
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Default 1936 Wheaties mini

Just noticed this thread. This series of Wheaties is by far the toughest Wheaties issue to find. The mini cards issued in 1937-1938 are tough, but this set is impossible to find. Here are scans of the two cards I have, both are near full size as issued on individual serving boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini Gehrig063.jpg (68.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg minimedwick2061.jpg (77.1 KB, 234 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Jonathan Sterling

This is the full sized Gehrig for comparison. I have a Charley Gehringer mini and only type from that set I have ever come across. (tried to post but phone froze will post mini later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140827_23_30_42_Pro.jpg (30.6 KB, 223 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Also after post of Second Mini Gehrig perhaps the 1/1 description on ebay should be modified. (Still pretty rare but as we know Rare dose not always equal valuable) Aside from obvious size difference writing is the same but blue advertising box on mini's is square to the bottom vs a diagonal on the large format.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
Just noticed this thread. This series of Wheaties is by far the toughest Wheaties issue to find. The mini cards issued in 1937-1938 are tough, but this set is impossible to find. Here are scans of the two cards I have, both are near full size as issued on individual serving boxes.
Very cool cards! I have always felt the mini Wheaties cards don't get the love that they deserve as they are very tough to find.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 AM

The mini's are definitely hard to find... the seller does know his odd ball stuff..and he's got tons.... I've bought some obscure stuff from him before...the prices...he has high as well as reasonable prices...

Ricky Y
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Jonathan Sterling

This is The Gehringer Mini only one I ever came across. I like the Mini Gehrig but I think the borders on the regular sized series look great and they display nicely. The Full sized Gehrig is not just one of my favorite Gehrig's but one of my Favorite Baseball cards.
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini.jpg (29.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Wheaties

I haven't gotten into the Wheaties yet but they will be on the hit list in the future. That mini in the first post of the thread is neat....Looks like some can be kind of pricey even though the first one below is a set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Wheatie...item4cfc571b01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Wheatie...item19e8883b69

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Wheatie...item232a3b8249

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Wheatie...item19e88f8087

Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM

Leon,

Glad I got you hooked! Good luck with the Breakfast of Champions. Uh oh, is this copyright infringement?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Leon,

Glad I got you hooked! Good luck with the Breakfast of Champions. Uh oh, is this copyright infringement?
I think you are probably safe on this one Brian..