NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default More "Dealers at the National" Questions?

Ok, I will admit...I haven't been to a National. Its even been awhile since I was at any "Big" show.

My questions...especially after looking at the pictures and You Tube videos of the National...

How did the dealers do selling this year?
Collectors seem to think the show was great, but I hear that a lot of the greatness is based on the social, interactive nature of the Show. Anymore, buying cards is easy online and maybe cheaper.
Do dealers save some of their inventory for the Show and sell it all then?

How does a dealer compete among the the T206, 33 Goudey and 1950's and 60's Topps customers when there are dozens of each card available down every aisle? Are there price wars? Just in the videos I watched, table after table offered so many similar cards. I can imagine anyone looking for a T206 Piedmont Chappy Charles had several dozen to pick from, and if you needed a 1956 Hank Aaron, there were 100 to choose from.

Any dealers here knock it out of the park, and can't wait for next year just because of the sales success?

Thanks for your commentary.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I had very good sales but I go with low expectations. Also, the things I have, parallel my collection somewhat, so not any other dealers were likely to have the cards I did. However, admittedly I mainly go to the national for the social aspect. I see hundreds of friends that know me and I remember tens of names . I have sort of a phobia about remembering names which isn't at all good with what I do in the hobby......oh well....

Last edited by Leon; 08-10-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Archive

Brian

I know one dealer who did well. He told me that he had around 200 T206s and that they were all bought up (except for 2) by other dealers on Tuesday before the show started.

Jantz
Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

I think if you go there to really sell cards and move inventory for a fair price so you can turn it around and buy/sell other cards i think you will do alright. but if you have family heirlooms that you price for 2-3 times the going rate, they will sit. But some dealers go for different reasons than others.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM
pete ullman

While I didn't buy much this year...the few things I DID buy I was able to negotiate 20-35% of asking price in most cases. Most dealers were looking to sell...even some dealers with super high buck/rare cards were dealing!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 PM

Every dealer I spoke with seemed to have a really good show. FYI, there was a serious paucity of T206s from my perspective. I came it with a want list of 10 and only found three of them.
JimB
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Dealers who sell on ebay didn't have to deal with ebay fees, paypal fees or shipping costs. That's a lot of negotiating room. I can see why dealers are adamant about not missing the National - in the future I'll certainly show up every year that I possibly can.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

True story. I volunteer at a busy playhouse and last night a woman there said to me "I just had electroshock therapy treatment yesterday and will probably forget you name." I said "Don't worry, I'm not good with names either."

Last edited by drcy; 08-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Bill Gregory

I don't take it personally when people forget my name, and I hope that people I meet, should I have a momentary brain fart, will forgive me for doing the same.

If I don't see a person on a consistent basis, it's just too easy to forget. I've got so much useless stuff crammed in my head taking up space. I blame it on my A.D.D.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Often when you meet someone, especially in a crowded converse filled situation, the last thing you do is try and memorize the person's name. That's why you usually have to ask for the name again.

Besides, I have no need or great desire to know everyone's name. There some peoples' names that I know that I'd have problem forgetting.

Last edited by drcy; 08-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Someone could go through Brett's fish-eye table photos and add names - that would help. No need to label me, Chris or Frank - I remember us.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Tony Gordon

I always do well at the National because it usually draws a huge crowd and everyone is there to spend money which is unlike any other show. While there may be a dozen tables with the same cards at the National, these cards often vary in condition and price, giving collectors many more options. Also, each dealer has his own unique selling style so customers aren't just choosing a card, they're also choosing the right dealer that fits their buying style. As far as buying goes, I actually find buying easier and cheaper at shows than online. Along those same lines, I have a buying problem and have a constant influx of inventory so I never need to save anything just for National.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Every dealer I spoke with seemed to have a really good show. FYI, there was a serious paucity of T206s from my perspective. I came it with a want list of 10 and only found three of them.
JimB
I heard the same and also had about a 30% success rate, although with a far easier and much longer list than Bloomie's.

Last edited by toppcat; 08-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Bi11..R0berts

FWIW - I spoke with several dealers yesterday at a local show all of whom said this past national was their best. Good to hear.

Last edited by brob28; 08-11-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Someone could go through Brett's fish-eye table photos and add names - that would help. No need to label me, Chris or Frank - I remember us.
Scott- Are Brett's photos posted somewhere here or on the internet? Link?
tbob