NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default The Skydash Collection ... the aftermath

Posted By: Ed Ivey

scarcity x popularity = rarity

or maybe I have scarcity and rarity mixed up

or maybe it should be a divided by rather than (x)

The bottom line: collect what you like.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Seriously folks, if a PSA 2 Wagner is at quarter million - what other cards in our hobby can equate to that price tag?

Then lets put them on a table, choose one.

steve

Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think the prices were a bit low...

I think he'd have done better with a different auctioneer. And that the cards should have been individually listed, instead of some being in lots.

I understand I'm not running a card auction house, so I don't know as much as those guys. I think they did what was best for themselves, instead of Skydash.

I wish him well with the others. And I hope he kept just a few of the cards to pass down a generation or two.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Rhys,
I Really Liked Your Take On The Hobby as it so stands, As You See it! Collecting Rarer cards from other sets really means your diving deeper in to the Prewar Pool of History. Like you said though, whatever floats your boat....

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 12-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

steve- not every card below is in the $200K club, but i think these are some choices up in that stratosphere:

T206 Wagner
T206 Plank (high-grade)
Boston Garter Jackson
T210 Jackson
Baltimore News Ruth
Four Base Hits Kelly (Hi Leon)
'52 Mantle Mint-Gem Mint
'33 Lajoie (high-grade)

being a T206 collector, and a Jackson lover...here are my top 2 picks:

T206 Wagner
Boston Garter Jackson

Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I truly believed that the Thorpe would fetch between 80-100K. As others have mentioned condition with a card this rare is not much of a factor relative to the hammer price.

The large lots discouraged heavy bidding. I got close on one but was way off on a few others. Lot sizes between 3 and 5 would have been great. Hopefully a few will come up on eBay.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

To all.

I like the rarity of things. My Star Player candy cards may not be the most valuable cards out there and the commons are probably worth less than my T206 Cobb bat off, my Old Judge Cap Anson, Old Judge John Ward, Old Judge Amos Rusie, B-18 Joe Jackson (that is sewn into a pillowcase with eight other B-18's) and even my very much trimmed large Gypsy Queen Tim Keefe. However, other than the Keefe, if I had a LOT of money, finding those cards and replacing them would be fairly easy. Heck, I could even get cards that were in better condition. Not so with the Star Player Candy cards, especially one card which was uncataloged before I brought it to this boards attention.

Now, if I had the money, I would definetely go after the Tin Tops before the T206 Wagner because if I wanted the Wagner, I could always go out and find one. I know a guy right now (old-time collector) who has an ungraded one. So, if I won the lottery, I am sure I could name him a price and buy his. His Sons might like the card but I am sure they would like the cash better.

Having the opportunity (and money to do so) to buy a really rare item should not be passed up, at least in my opinion. I am still kicking myself for not having enough money to buy an 1899 Cincinnati Reds Sterling Silver season pass a few years ago. Being a Reds fan, I had not seen one of those before and haven't seen one since. So, even if I won the lottery this weekend and had the money, where am I going to find another one of those??

This is why I said in the thread about what fun things you would sell your collection for that I wouldn't sell my cards for most anything because once they are gone, I probably wouldn't be able to find them again. That isn't so with the T206 Wagner.

Just my thoughts, ideas and priorities as far as my collection goes,

David

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been away so am a little late in my response:

There was tremendous competition for Sky's collection and I am certain Mastro had to give him a competitive rate.

Second, there is not an auction house in the country that would survive with a 20% buyer's premium, as well as a 20% fee to the consignor. Anybody with any worthwhile material can negotiate far better terms than that.

And I am also of the opinion that the material did not do as well as expected. Despite the rarity and condition of the cards, Tin Tops are not widely collected, and for that matter not even that widely known. Many collectors knew little to nothing about them before this find.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Those Tin Tops are undoubtedly great cards, particularly for those with an eye to scarcity. As mentioned, they also have wonderful Horner photos (at least some of them). But the market for those is much thinner than the market for a T206 Wagner. If price were no object, many more people would choose the Wagner over the Tin Tops. As someone mentioned though, I bet the winner of that Thorpe also owns a Wagner. Just a guess.
JimB

P.S.
I would add the Just So Cy Young to that list Michael provided of cards in the 200k + range.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

I'd like to hear skydash's opinion.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Ed,
I dont think you will get that yet. I believe Mastro still has alot of the collection to auction off.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Jim- I would put the Cy Young at 200K as very low wholesale!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

How about the N172 Anson in Uniform to be added to the above list?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: skydash55

Well...where to start...
I as well was a bit disappointed with Thorpe's performance. I really thought it would fetch more. That being said,I also agree with several posters on this thread that mentioned other tangibles affecting the price(slumping economic outlook,limited tin top collector market,and not quite the "Aura" associated with Thorpe as with....say a Jackson). I am grateful to all of you who bid on these great cards. Not for myself,but for the actual owner.I(skydash)am related to the individual to whom this collection actually belongs. The individual who owns this collection is quite elderly and is in need of long term care(thus the decision to sell the cards was made...by them). They asked if I would act on their behalf to research the collection for eventual sale.That is when you saw my first post back in August.Whatever this collection brings,100% will be used in their future care.That was and is my only priority regarding these cards.
Now...what was just offered in this past auction was a very small part of this collection,as you will see. I appreciate again,all the help the members on this board have provided me.As mentioned above,this has nothing to do with me,and I know all you guys and girls out there with elderly relatives can appreciate my position.I am looking forward to the future auctions,and I think you all will be quite happy with what turns up. Skydash

Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Ohhh, ok, i thought you "inherited" this collection, and that the money would be yours...

either way, amazing cards, i was bidding on the cicotte SGC 96 & the lot of 37 SGC 88's...was outbid on both.

good luck in April, and best wishes to your relative.

be well-
Michael Sarno

Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Hi Sky- I assumed this was only a tiny portion. I guess you consigned it close to their deadline, and they needed until the April sale to get it all catalogued.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Ohhh, ok, i thought you "inherited" this collection, and that the money would be yours...

That's a valid point. I really didn't want to disclose the nature of the sale of the cards only because of the initial skepticism regarding the collection in the first place. Posting a find like this,then trying to paint myself as a saint(which I'm not doing now either),would have been too much.Several members of this board whom I've personally met with can verify the reason behind the consignment.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Yes, we discussed it, and I never mentioned it since it is nobody's business but yours.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Hi Sky- I assumed this was only a tiny portion. I guess you consigned it close to their deadline, and they needed until the April to get it all catalogued

You are correct,sir.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Yes, we discussed it, and I never mentioned it since it is nobody's business but yours.

Thank you Barry. You are a class act all the way.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

no biggie...obviously it's your business, no one elses...

i was just surprised to hear this, as it was presented differently from the beginning (but i totally understand your reasoning)...

best of luck.
MS

Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Skydash, I can't think of a better use for the proceeds of the collection; I hope your relatives can get all that they need from these sales.

The one thing that seems strange now upon reflection: why did you have SGC put "Skydash Collection" on the flips when you were only acting as an intermediary? Is that the nickname of the person who once owned the cards?

Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I'll answer that- "Sky" is a commercial pilot.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

You do a commendable service, Sky. Long term care eats up any savings like nobody's business.

BTW -- What about the "city dump" part of the story, is that still true, along with the second box that was never found?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Yes. Everything I posted regarding the collection is true. I am really sorry the rest was not recovered.No telling what was in there!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

As a follow up, Mastro's new banner add above advertises %0 consignment fees on any graded card over $1k.