NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default OT, but you guys need to read....

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The Celebrant. It is a book by Eric Rolfe Greenberg. It is fiction, about a fellow who really loved baseball, and developed a fascination with Christy Mathewson. If you care anything at all to who some of the guys are in T205 and T206, or E90s, and the like (whether they've been soaked or not, slabbed or not), then you really need to read The Celebrant. It takes you back in time, puts you in the grandstand watching McGraw's Giants and the college boy from Bucknell.

I was given a cd set, Play Ball! "A Tribute to Our National Pastime" yesterday, by a co-worker. A portion of it has Greenberg reading an excerpt. I encourage you guys to find a copy of the book and read it.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

The bride is looking to find me some reading material on Amazon. I just put The Celebrant on my list. grazie

Sadly, I just finished "Glory of Their Times..." It was way too short.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

sounds like a super read, maybe it will be here in time for the 4 days of joy at the in-laws over Christmas......

Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

if you liked Glory of their Times, they have a (4) CD set with the actual interviews. Difficult at times to hear, it is REALLY nice. $30-ish

Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

The Celebrant is an excellent read. The only books that I enjoyed more than this one were written by Darryl Brock:

If I Never Get Back
Two in the Field
Havana Heat

They are similar to The Celebrant in that they are what I consider to be "Historical Fiction".

Enjoy.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

If I Never Get Back is about that 1860s Cincinnati club, and a great read. Made me dig out my Harpers Woodcut as I read it. Haven't read the others. I went for years without knowing of The Celebrant, it is older than Brock's books. Somewhere I read about it, and with a bit of indifference bought an old copy. It sat for months unread. Then it was electrifying, what a book. I was entranced today, as Greenberg read from the book. Both Brock and Greenberg did their research, they're right on the events depicted.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

THE YEAR THEY CALLED OFF THE WORLD SERIES

by Benton Stark.....Avery Pub.

Well-written and true to the events of the 1904 BB Season that culminated in no World Series played
between the NY Giants and the Boston Americans. The behind the scenes drama is truely fascinating.

TED Z

Old 12-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Ted, so true, 'tis an interesting, and educational book. And seeing who's big in baseball then helps explain why some of the guys are in T206, and why Mr. McGraw, a manager, deserves so many poses.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Andy, Ted, and others, you have listed some books which I enjoyed immensely. I am currently reading Only the Ball Was White, a terrific read and better than The Glory of Their Times (which I enjoyed)IMHO, and can also recommend the following books I have read recently:
When the Giants Were Giants by Peter Williams, When Chicago Ruled Baseball by Bernard Weisberger, Autumn Glory by Louis Masur, Baseball's Greatest Season 1924 by Browning, The Year the Red Sox Won the World Series by Waterman and Springer, Where They Ain't by Burt Solomon and The Beer and Whiskey League by Nemec. All great pre-war books.
My 2 all-time favorites remain G.H. Fleming's The Unforgettable Season (1908) this is a MUST read and of course Eight Men Out by Asinof.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Fleming's book about 1908 is great. And it explains how the Merkle Boner situation developed in a game, and Evers talked with the umpire about it, so he had a plan when second base next went untouched. Fleming wrote a book about the 1934 season that is just as good. Wish he'd written half a dozen more. Both are on ABE, cheap. Search Fleming and Season. I know I keep pounding this nail through the plank, but a book like The Unforgetable Season helps you identify the players in 1908 who were in the public eye, which helps understand how T206 is composed, players, poses and all. Which 2 teams battled to the wire in 1908, Cubs and Giants. If you sort T206s by team which 2 teams have huge tall stacks? Cubs and Giants. Anyone enamored with T205, 6 or 7s, or T3s, should read that book.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Dom DeLillo's account of the Bobby Thomson HR game, Pafko at the Wall which is also the first chapter of his book Underworld, is great reading.

Frank, is the Celebrant an entire book, I could swear I read something very much like you describe, an account of a guy watching a young Mathewson pitch a no-hitter with his salesman brother, but it was just a chapter of one of those compliations of great sportswriting.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator

An entire book. Hardbound it is about 275 pages, give or take a few. And I don't doubt it made it into one of the Fireside books. Below is an ABE lin, I hope, that gets you to a listing. Lots of affordable used paperbacks. I'm slightly ashamed to admit here that I'm a bibliophile and a bit of a book snob, I just like a hardbound book much better.

Frank.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=greenberg&y=8&tn=celebrant&x=36

Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I like my books in at least PSA 8 condition, even if they have been altered.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Peter, how can you read a book if it's in a sterile plastic tomb? Books are meant to be enjoyed, touched, caressed, snuggled with, and, might I say, smelled. Plus the blank pages in the back make great rolling papers.

Anyway, if you liked "The Glory of their Times", which I absolutely did - best baseball book I've ever read - then I recommend "Baseball When the Grass was Real", by Donald Honig. Same basic premise as "Glory", but the interviews are with players from the 1920s and 30s. Highly recommended.

-Al

Old 12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

"Anyway, if you liked "The Glory of their Times", which I absolutely did - best baseball book I've ever read - then I recommend "Baseball When the Grass was Real", by Donald Honig. Same basic premise as "Glory", but the interviews are with players from the 1920s and 30s. Highly recommended."

Honig followed up "Baseball When the Grass was Real" with "Baseball Between the Lines" featuring interviews with players from the 40's and 50's. Both books are great.

The "Glory of Their Times" CD set is one of the best Baseball related items you can ever purchase. Absolutely indispensable for the vintage Baseball buff. Larry Ritter's conversations with Sam Crawford, Rube Marquard, Chief Meyers, Fred Snodgrass, Hans Lobert and Smokey Joe Wood are priceless. There's a lot of material on these recordings that didn't get into the book. Get it, if you don't already have it.

Henry Thomas' biography "Walter Johnson - Baseball's Big Train" is terrific and there is a fairly new biography of Tris Speaker that I will have to pick up soon.

My favourite Baseball book of all is David Halberstam's "The Summer of '49". Reading that book made me feel like I was living in Boston and New York and experiencing that great pennant race firsthand.

John

Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

summer of 49 was really a wonderful book......but if you never read this and are over 50 (or collected as a kid)this is a classic.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

You guys have listed many of my favorites. I have the tapes of "The Glory of their Times," which is a must have for all you T206 nuts.
I'd also like to mention another must have: The Miley Collection of complete old radio games. I have many of them: however, one not to miss is the complete 1949 World Series with Mel Allen & Red Barber doing the play-by-play (Red was the best baseball radio guy of all time--if you don't believe me, listen to these). Another great Miley game is the 1941 All-Star Game with Detroit announcer Ty Tyson and Ted Williams' blast to end the contest. By the way, the sound quality on these is wonderful.
Raresportsfilms has many old world series games on DVD and tape. The 1948 World Series one is excellent (the huge crowds!).
A new book I just finished is "Two Ton," the story of the Joe Louis-Two Ton Tony Galento fight. A great read (only 208 pages): they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

The Miley collection of old radio games is impressive but check out http://billsparks.com/ for the most bang for your buck. Dozens upon dozens of old games in CD/MP3 format for a fraction of the cost of Miley's CD's. I have all of the baseball and one of the football sets and it's an absolute steal of a deal! It's still a bargain even if you have to buy a CD/MP3 player. I picked up a portable walkman type unit for $30.

I'm currently in the middle of listening to a 1950 Indians-Philadelphia A's game from Shibe Park with a pitching matchup of Lemon vs. Shantz.

John

Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Hey John H,

So I look at that Baseball Vol 1 selection and it says there are 60 episodes. Does that mean 60 games??? Which cd are you listening to, how many games are on there, and how much of each game??? I can't imagine 60 games fit on one cd for only $5.99.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Here's an image of the dust jacket to The Celebrant

An interesting novel about vintage ball is The Speed Boy, published in 1938, but set in dead ball times. Here's the dust jacket from that book

Max

Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Thanks for the info.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

"I can't imagine 60 games fit on one cd for only $5.99."

Frank, the website shows what games are on each disc. Each program is about 40 minutes and most games are three or four programs so you get about 20 games per CD. Remember, these are MP3 CD's so there is much more material on each disc than there is on a regular CD. I'm listening to Baseball disc No. 2 right now.

I wasn't kidding when I said that these are a treeeemendous bargain! Trust me, you won't regret buying them. It seems that this is a labour of love for Bill and his wife because they sure aren't making a lot of profit.

John

Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Hey Steve F, and all,

What Al said about Grass is Real is so true, an excellent book to follow the cornerstone book Glory of Our Times. I get goosebumps just thinking about Spud Chandler talking about the greatest catch ever made in a game (which was before Willie's 54 WS catch). A great book. And if you liked GOTT, the CD set is great. To understand it to the maximum, one needs to read a book that is about baseball writers, the title escapes my mind. But in it Ritter talks about how his girlfriend was along sometimes, and how she'd start talking with the player's wife and get the interview all off track. This writers book talks about how Ritter came to do the book. The writers book isn't as great as GOTT, but the Ritter section maximizes GOTT appreciation.

Frank.