NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default $OLD pet peeve

You're not helping the community learn values when you change the price to SOLD after a successful BST sale. Leave prices intact so we all can learn what stuff is selling for. I've got access to VCP but others might not. And I would argue that BST might be a more accurate representation of real world and up to the minute pricing vs. ebay and AH which may have been shilled to begin with. The only argument I've heard is that buyers might not want their price paid publicized but does that really supercede the community value of historical prices? Net54 could even start building a pricing database as an awesome value add to its members.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Dave Foster

+1
Old 04-08-2017, 01:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

We had a thread on this same topic a year ago or so. I agree with you completely. I've noticed Jake quoting listings so sellers can't just delete asking prices after a sale. Seems like a reasonable way to make sure there is a record.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:15 PM
A.J. Johnson

yeah I think I started that one too. lol

Hoping I can change some hearts and minds...
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-08-2017, 01:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Either you or I did. It's one of my pet peeves as well, along with people listing cards without asking prices. That may have been the thread I started. Also a spirited discussion.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Jerry

I wonder how many times cards are sold at asking price. I'm sure a lot of cards have sold below the original asking price through negotiations even though the seller put "SOLD" without deleting the original price.

Last edited by jbl79; 04-08-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:28 PM
A.J. Johnson

yes I would argue that a requirement of using BST would be to input the final selling price post sale.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Robert J. Miller

Yes. Agreed. I would like to see the sales price also.
Robert
Old 04-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

+1 for all comments
Old 04-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

-1; it will never happen.(as far as it being mandatory to leave the sales price)

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM

Default $OLD pet peeve

I understand why some sellers don't want to post final price/terms, so I'm sure you're going to get some replies that disagree with you, but what I don't understand is why even the ORIGINAL ASKING price is often deleted by the sellers instead of simply putting "SOLD" in front of it.

Even if the seller doesn't want to disclose FINAL price/terms, it's not like the ask price is some big secret if it was out there with the original post; I don't get the point of then deleting it but that's just me; I don't do much for transactions so maybe I don't understand. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mattjc1983; 04-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:10 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
yes I would argue that a requirement of using BST would be to input the final selling price post sale.
I think forcing a seller to input a sale price is a little much and would be difficult to enforce. It may also lead to inaccurate information being reported. Leaving the asking price up doesn't seem like too much to ask though.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Agree with most of the comments here. Put SOLD in the thread title and leave the prices in the thread itself.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

+1,000,000,000,0000

to all saying leave the frickin' price in the posts!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Steven

Well I myself did this today as I do after every sale, sorry it seems to piss people off so much.

You could always pm the seller for sale price if you were really that interested, in the end its really no one else's business.

I guess I feel different. My main complaint is how freakin rude some members are here. Some, do not feel the need to write back, let you know if they are not interested or keep up with basic communication...also had that happen today.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:31 PM
pete ullman

I agree with steve...the early bird gets the worm! I cant think of anything more annoying than being contacted after a sale by people offering more that it sold for or voicing their opinions regarding the sale price.

To me its MUCH more annoying seeing cards ridiculously overpriced on the BST bumped for year after year.

Atleast my cards are selling...which is the intended purpose of the BST...It's not called the CMT(card museum thread)after all!

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Would be nice but it's the a@@holes who brag on the thread weeks later about how they flipped it and doubled their money or who say they would have paid more. Not worth the heartburn for the seller.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
-1; it will never happen.
+1
Old 04-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I agree with steve...the early bird gets the worm! I cant think of anything more annoying than being contacted after a sale by people offering more that it sold for or voicing their opinions regarding the sale price.

To me its MUCH more annoying seeing cards ridiculously overpriced on the BST bumped for year after year.

Atleast my cards are selling...which is the intended purpose of the BST...It's not called the CMT(card museum thread)after all!
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Not worth the heartburn for the seller.
Why the heartburn for the seller?? They sold it for what they felt was the price they wanted to get, no?
Old 04-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Eric Bea.chley

If you sell something for $100 that maybe you purchased for $50, you go away happy. Then when someone looks through your thread weeks later and says "hey, that's the rare variation of that card and worth $2,000 easy" you feel like crap. Who needs that?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Well I myself did this today as I do after every sale, sorry it seems to piss people off so much.

You could always pm the seller for sale price if you were really that interested, in the end its really no one else's business.

I guess I feel different. My main complaint is how freakin rude some members are here. Some, do not feel the need to write back, let you know if they are not interested or keep up with basic communication...also had that happen today.

I'm curious why you remove the asking price too. I agree the sold price isn't anyone's business besides you and the buyer, but having already posted the asking price in your original post, why do you remove it after it's sold?

I'm not one of the people pissed off by it, just asking.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

This is much more annoying than removing the price.
James
Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I list a card for $100.

My hobby friend , Joe Blow, with whom I have done deals with in the past and who has given me good deals, wants the card that I have listed. I am happy to oblige and gladly offer him the card for $80.

In my opinion though it is still a $100 card, so if Joe Blow does not want the card, and Dick Head, with whom I have never done business offers me $90 for the card, I will not sell it to him.

If Dick Head turns around and tries to tell me that Joe Blow bought the same card from me for $80 recently, how should I respond.

My concern with BST is the lack of anonymity of the buyers and the sellers, and at least in my case cards often sell for less than the asking price, but I do not feel obligated to reveal the selling price and my reasons why there is a discrepancy. Publishing my selling prices under my name is not a good idea, nor should it be mandated for any seller.

I cannot make as strong a case for leaving the asking prices on the listings, but these could prejudice buyers against me who think they are too high, even if they do not represent the actual selling price.

I also realize that their are buyers who almost always negotiate a sales price and buyers who always pay the asking price. Does this matter? Sure it does. Because if that original $100 card now becomes an $80 card, the non-negotiating buyer pool will be less inclined to pay the asking price of $100.

We all have different budgets, differing ideas about the value of cards and different motivations for buying certain cards. I say leave it alone. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Buyers should do their homework and buy cards for a price they can afford and are willing to pay.

I would conclude by saying that I am happy to work with many Joe Blows on this forum, but there are a few in the other group as well.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

As a buyer for a card, that may potentially sell it at some point in the future, the last thing I want is someone using the sale price of the exact card I am selling(the price I paid for it) to be used as a negotiation tactic when trying to buy the card from me.

Removing the price I paid for a card is great. Gauging prices can be done in lots of other ways.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-08-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Pete Sycks

I get more pissed off when people bump the thread with "Sold". Nobody needs to know that a thread from 3 weeks ago is now sold.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Noel

Default What?

Quote:
Hopefully this comment was made after having a drink or two.

Noel Wrye
Old 04-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned

how about when a card has been on the BST, bumped a few times and doesn't sell. then you see it in eBay as an auction, where it "sells." then a few weeks later the original seller has it on the BST again. then you see it in one of the smaller auction houses, where it "sells." then, a few weeks later, the same seller has it on the BST again. that's kind of a pet peeve.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
As a buyer for a card, that may potentially sell it at some point in the future, the last thing I want is someone using the sale price of the exact card I am selling(the price I paid for it) to be used as a negotiation tactic when trying to buy the card from me.

Removing the price I paid for a card is great. Gauging prices can be done in lots of other ways.
+1

To me, it's all about privacy. Once the transaction is complete, it's between buyer & seller. Wasn't a public auction, so the deal is considered private.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
I'm curious why you remove the asking price too. I agree the sold price isn't anyone's business besides you and the buyer, but having already posted the asking price in your original post, why do you remove it after it's sold?

I'm not one of the people pissed off by it, just asking.

Basically for the reasons already mentioned, its also just habit as that seems to be the way it was always done. The only person I owe anything to at that point is the buyer, removing the price also removes irritating the buyer in any way. I would rather make my buyers happy than irritated, return business is the best business.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:15 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
This. It's annoying enough when someone pulls a random sale price from somewhere in an attempt to justify their lowball offer. It's worse when they come in saying "I know you paid X for this, so you're just being greedy if you refuse my offer of X+$1.00." Just because I got something for a good price does not mean I'm obligated to sell it for that price, and I don't need anyone trying to throw a guilt trip on me for trying to turn a profit on something I picked up on the BST.

If you want to ask the seller to leave the price up when you buy something, that's fine, but it's excessive to insist all sellers should do so or that there's no excuse for deleting the price.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I have had buyers actually ask me to remove the sale price.
On the topic of b/s/t pet-peeves: guys who don't post a pic of the item they are selling, and ask for a pm so they can then email you a pic.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Basically for the reasons already mentioned, its also just habit as that seems to be the way it was always done. The only person I owe anything to at that point is the buyer, removing the price also removes irritating the buyer in any way. I would rather make my buyers happy than irritated, return business is the best business.

Fair enough

Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Agreed with the people who said it was no one's business other than the buyer and seller. Didn't know it was my job to educate the community about prices.

Happy to share info about cards and their history but you're on your own when it comes to prices. Too much emphasis already placed on "values" especially with all the dumb money that has entered the hobby over the past few years.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Eric Pugh

Default AJ is right. Again.

Whatever AJ Johnson says I agree with.

Last edited by uniship; 04-09-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniship View Post
Whatever AJ Johnson says I will blindly agree with. If you want to sell your cards on a public website for the love of God have the decency and basic self respect to allow the public community to see what it sold for . Thanks for listening.
I hope this is sarcasm
Old 04-08-2017, 08:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Agreed with the people who said it was no one's business other than the buyer and seller. Didn't know it was my job to educate the community about prices.

Happy to share info about cards and their history but you're on your own when it comes to prices. Too much emphasis already placed on "values" especially with all the dumb money that has entered the hobby over the past few years.
YES...this too!!!!!! Too many people looking for a magic formula or instant pricing on all permutations of cards...do some work!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniship View Post
Whatever AJ Johnson says I will blindly agree with. If you want to sell your cards on a public website for the love of God have the decency and basic self respect to allow the public community to see what it sold for .dont be scaredy cats. Be men. Live while you can. Stand by your sold prices and don't be little girlie men. Thanks for listening.
Blindly Agreeing wit anyone on Any Website
Has NothiN ta do wit the "Love of God..."
Decency and Respect oN a Public Website?
Where ya From, Jupiter?

And Jupiter iS No Longer a Planet!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 AM

Default Amen brother!!

Quote:
You're not helping the community learn values when you change the price to SOLD after a successful BST sale. Leave prices intact so we all can learn what stuff is selling for. I've got access to VCP but others might not. And I would argue that BST might be a more accurate representation of real world and up to the minute pricing vs. ebay and AH which may have been shilled to begin with. The only argument I've heard is that buyers might not want their price paid publicized but does that really supercede the community value of historical prices? Net54 could even start building a pricing database as an awesome value add to its members.

Totally agree with you! The way I see it, if the price was there (ie present and visible) before the item sold, what's the sense behind removing it and changing it to "SOLD"?!?!?! Its not like it was a secret what the price was so why remove it?!?! This especially bothers me if I missed the thread prior to the item selling so the first time I come across the thread is after the item SOLD so I never knew what the asking price was in the first place!!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmarathonman View Post
Totally agree with you! The way I see it, if the price was there (ie present and visible) before the item sold, what's the sense behind removing it and changing it to "SOLD"?!?!?! Its not like it was a secret what the price was so why remove it?!?! This especially bothers me if I missed the thread prior to the item selling so the first time I come across the thread is after the item SOLD so I never knew what the asking price was in the first place!!
+1
I believe boards such as this are meant to share information and help educate people. That's why I am here, to share the knowledge I have, and to learn the knowledge I don't have.

Plus I like to beat myself up for missing out on some great things

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
This. It's annoying enough when someone pulls a random sale price from somewhere in an attempt to justify their lowball offer. It's worse when they come in saying "I know you paid X for this, so you're just being greedy if you refuse my offer of X+$1.00." Just because I got something for a good price does not mean I'm obligated to sell it for that price, and I don't need anyone trying to throw a guilt trip on me for trying to turn a profit on something I picked up on the BST.
+1 again. I bought my house for a good price so I should sell it to you today for a bargain because I paid a pittance for it.

Now replace "house" with "card".

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
And Jupiter iS No Longer a Planet!
Where did it go?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:02 AM

I MiGHT Be a Bit Confused...
Cause EverTHiN THaT Frank Said made Sense ta me ~ Go Figure Aye!?
While BeiN Serious Nun da LeSS!
(WHaTs uP Wit DaT!?!?)

As Far as dis Humble Website is Concerned,
Franks Also Dead oN!!!

"Good oN Ya Frank!"

For the Last 20 or So Years
Dis "Pet Peeve Topic" Has BeeN Discuss'd Many Times!!!

So Here Ya Hav iT...

Legal Definition of caveat emptor:

A principle in commercial transactions: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk as to the condition of the property or goods

No Where does it State ta List the Sold Price, Add a Scan,
No "Im Taken Offers"...

So Unless You Can Convince "Our Local Peasant/Forum Owner"
(Hey There Leon! )
Ta Change His MiND!?!?

Ohhhh They'll Come Ray...
THeY'LL MoST Certainly Come!!!

"Pet Peeves" Will RoLL Thru dis Forum
Like THiCK Memories,
THaT WiLL Hav Ta Brush THeM AWaY From Our Faces!
Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
+1
+1 again. I bought my house for a good price so I should sell it to you today for a bargain because I paid a pittance for it.

Now replace "house" with "card".

If everyone knows what you paid for it, it can be harder to get what you want for it. You need to realize that a house is not a card and that is a very bad analogy.

A card can be 1 of 1. Very specific in a thin collector market. There may only be a dozen people on the planet that want the card. The card may only sell 5 times in a hundred year period(if that) depending on what it is. It may take a very long time to find that person. That ask price and that buy price are hugely important to the sellers ability to get the desired asking price in a market like that on 1 of 1s, errors, oddities, and obscure issues.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 04-09-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Steven

I guess what I don't understand is how it upsets people so much, almost like this entitled attitude with the information. There have been tons of reasons why this practice is done and some members here seem to gloss over those. I do to not possibly piss off my buyer, I don't even ask I just do it...I am a guy, it's easier that way. No one really owes anyone else an explanation...which brings me back to my point mentioned above.

Just yesterday I reach out to a member looking for a specific card, he inquires, inquires more and wants a price. I write a nice 2 paragraph description to go along with the scans of the graded card and highlight recent auction activity and my price...crickets. I don't even get back a "no thank you" or even an "up yours"...email just goes deaf.

The basic communication skills that lack in this hobby are astounding, treating someone with common courtesy seems to be becoming the exception and bravery behind a keyboard is always dramatic so removing a price, which isn't any of my business to begin with, seems like small potatoes.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post

If you want to ask the seller to leave the price up when you buy something, that's fine, but it's excessive to insist all sellers should do so or that there's no excuse for deleting the price.
So I'm curious.... You talk about not having to justify getting an item cheap, and that it doesn't mean you have to sell it at that price - which is fair...
But then you complain about someone making a "lowball offer"?
So you're saying you get items as cheap as you can, but the buyer shouldn't try as well?? With all due respect, and it's nothing personal..... A lot of dealers are delusional and quite hypocritical. You try and get items AS CHEAP AS YOU CAN as a dealer.... Why shouldn't buyers try and do the exact same thing?? ....think about it...
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Scott Russell

I've got some crazy ideas.

1. If you think prices should be left up, then when you sell , leave yours up.

2. If you are insulted by lowball offers, you probably should find another business. Really how taxing is it to say "no thanks?"

3. If a seller is asking a museum price for something and it gets you worked up, maybe you should consider another hobby. Really, how hard is it to NOT buy something?

4. If someone is doing business in a manner you don't approve, don't do business with them. Really. No, REALLY.

5. In any of the scenarios above, resorting to calling people out, sending angry PMs, actually insulting them, or otherwise disrupting the peace of the universe is ludicrous. I don't have time to get worked up over everything I disagree with ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DOESN'T HAVE TO AFFECT ME!

Are these little pieces of cardboard (or leather or flannel or felt or silk etc...) really worth the level of aggravation some of you guys put yourselves through? If it's your hobby, isn't a hobby intended to be a relaxing enjoyable pastime? If it's your business, do you really become more successful the angrier you get? This is absolutely NOT directed at the OP, but rather at all the curmudgeons and hotheads in general who are always right.

I recently had a negotiation with a board member whose name I won't reveal without permission. We have done business before and I like him. In this latest negotiation he tried to "educate" me as to the value of my card. The two seconds it took to read the information were pretty painless so I merely responded with my absolute best price. It didn't work out. He didn't call me an asshole, I didn't call him a degenerate, and we'll probably do business again. I guess it's more fun to fly off the handle and act like there's some kind of moral high ground in a negotiation over a baseball card.

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM
A.J. Johnson

Let's try and bring the discussion back to the point. Don't be selfish and delete the prices. Keep em intact for the good of the community. Who cares if someone down the road sees what you paid for the card. Doesn't mean you have to let that figure into the negotiation when it's time to sell. And for those who just plain don't think it's their job to help educate their fellow hobbyists, well that's just selfish and not in the spirit of net54 BST

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 04-09-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I've got some crazy ideas.

1. If you think prices should be left up, then when you sell , leave yours up.

2. If you are insulted by lowball offers, you probably should find another business. Really how taxing is it to say "no thanks?"

3. If a seller is asking a museum price for something and it gets you worked up, maybe you should consider another hobby. Really, how hard is it to NOT buy something?

4. If someone is doing business in a manner you don't approve, don't do business with them. Really. No, REALLY.

5. In any of the scenarios above, resorting to calling people out, sending angry PMs, actually insulting them, or otherwise disrupting the peace of the universe is ludicrous. I don't have time to get worked up over everything I disagree with ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DOESN'T HAVE TO AFFECT ME!

Are these little pieces of cardboard (or leather or flannel or felt or silk etc...) really worth the level of aggravation some of you guys put yourselves through? If it's your hobby, isn't a hobby intended to be a relaxing enjoyable pastime? If it's your business, do you really become more successful the angrier you get? This is absolutely NOT directed at the OP, but rather at all the curmudgeons and hotheads in general who are always right.

I recently had a negotiation with a board member whose name I won't reveal without permission. We have done business before and I like him. In this latest negotiation he tried to "educate" me as to the value of my card. The two seconds it took to read the information were pretty painless so I merely responded with my absolute best price. It didn't work out. He didn't call me an asshole, I didn't call him a degenerate, and we'll probably do business again. I guess it's more fun to fly off the handle and act like there's some kind of moral high ground in a negotiation over a baseball card.

You're right!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't really see it as that big a deal.

I tend to leave mine up, mostly because of laziness. Most of my stuff is on the lower end though, so there isn't much worry about someone using the price as a bargaining tool. If my cheap card has sold for X and someone offers you X+$1 you're probably looking at a pretty good deal

Sometimes I'm mildly disappointed when I go to look at something and it's just listed as $sold, but only a little, as most of them are more than I can/will spend right now.

What I'd like to see is that "Sold" added to the title. That would actually be pretty useful whether the price was left up or not. (Not like I do that myself........yes, that's a thing I should work on. )

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 04-09-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Fixed potentially funny typo
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

^This!^

When I sell I always delete my asking price and mark the item sold. If I ask $100 for a card it's really no one's business if I end up selling it for $10 or $1k. This is a hobby to me, not a business; and while I'll talk cards with anyone all day long it's not my job to educate anyone.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

I'll admit, I hate seeing the asking price removed but only if I didn't have the opportunity to see it due to work or whatever.

I also understand, even though I haven't sold anything on here, that if a buyer wants the listing/asking price removed, then that's a no brainer, imo, removed it shall be.