NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default question regarding t202 chance picture I bought

Posted By: sean

wondered if anyone knows anything about this. Its about 11 x 11and its the picture used in the t202 set of frank chance. Its glued to some old scrapbook paper. Sorry but thats all I could fit in my scanner. The top of his head is actually there.
thanks!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

(rotated so we don't have to turn our monitors 90 degrees)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

delete

sorry, misinterpreted

Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well for starters it has a caption. So it is not likely to be an original photograph.

Look at it with a loop, a really strong magnifying glass. If you see little dots, then it is a photo mechanical transfer. That would mean that what you have was printed in a book or magazine, or at least printed, the caption was added at that time.

If you illuminate it with black light and it fluoresces, then it is a post WW II item. Brighteners are added to most papers now, so they look better and brighter. Old paper lacks that. The brighteners shine when hit with black light.

There are some rascals out there that will buy an old scrapbook then add new stuff to it. Or add some new stuff to the old stuff. Imagine an old scrapbook with a bunch of genuine 1910 stuff in it, newspaper clippings and postcards. Then imagine someone soaking some reprint T206s in tea, rubbing them on bluejeans to get some wear, a resoaking in tea, a little time in the oven, then pasted into that old scrapbook.

It is still neat to have the image used in T202.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Ed, Sean says what he has is 11x11, so it isn't a T202 middle. I've bought T202 pieces. Bought them where they were part of a lot. Bought one once 'cause the guy really wanted to sell it, and once it was sold I could then haggle with him on other stuff I wanted that he cared little about.

Max... now I've had to move my monitor a second time... at least it is back to rightways up now.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the advise, Ill hafta find a blacklight. Since its pasted to scarpbook paper will that still work? It certainly seems old and I dont know of any books pre ww2 that are this big so I was thinking maybe its a print? I have another of lobert sliding into home that was also form the t202 set and one of ed walsh that was not.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Perhaps this was from the large, oversized 1911 "Book of Baseball." I don't own a copy, but the size sounds about right.

Patrick

Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

hmmm Ill hafta look into that. Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Well Patrick, that sounded like it could be correct. I looked through my copy, no such photograph. There are several drawings, and over 200 photographs (I took a stab at counting them as I turned back through the book), but that one isn't there.

But that is the style of photo. Either a book similar to Patten and McSpadden's, or a magazine maybe.