NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default SCAM of the CENTURY

Posted By: James Verrill

Check this out:

People MUST be insane.

If I am right, a single "page" from a 1937 Goudey thumb booklet (book #4, last page) was torn out and then slabbed by "AAA". It is graded as, and sold by the scam artist seller (pacificvintagesports) described as, "DiMaggio Rookie card".

What a scam. Not even a CARD. Not even his ROOKIE.

BIG joke. BIG surprise its a private auction.

Am I missing something here? Or, is this really as blatantly fraudulent as it seems?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2717874736&category=31721

Old 03-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

He's done this before with the thum movies, or at least I'm pretty sure I've seen it from him (know I saw it somewhere). Really sad, since a nice "full" booklet would carry decent value and would appeal to legitimate collectors. This seller has dropped another notch in my book, and I didn't think that was possible.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Yep, you read it right.

Truly one of the saddest elements in this hobby.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

Although I haven't been in the vintage collecting game as long as some of you, I can definitly share your frustration on CRAP items like this. Personally I think that these graded cutouts take up valuble space in the vintage categories and I wish Ebay would put a stop to it. I can't recount how many times I've been searching the auctions and have to thumb through 500 listings of NASA or AAA graded cutouts that have no value of any kind, other than what some unknowledable person may pay for them. This in my opinion is fraud at it's purest form. The pages themselves torn from vintage publications have slight value if any at best and cutting them down into perfect squares doesn't hide the fact that they are damaged and altered pictures from magazine or newspaper pages. It's a real shame.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I remember seeing really trashed Spalding Guides sell on ebay for about $20 2-3 years ago, some coverless with severel edge damage - you could get a reading copy cheap. Not any more - a few entrepreneurs started tearing out the team photos, which were on glossy paper in the 1900-1906 volumes (I could be off on this range a little), and so survived without browning of pages, and selling them individually on ebay. They were very nice and would sometimes individually bring the price that was paid for the guide. I didn't have a problem with this practice personally because the guides were so trashed that they were practically of no value, and the pictures were great to look at. So why not matt, frame, and hang them on the wall for all to appreciate? And you still had the resulting book, sans full-page team photos, to reference.

Then Roy Huff expanded the practice to include cutting up ALL books and magazines, regardless of rarity or condition, and loosely disguising the cut-outs as "graded" "cards" (though as David has pointed out - he describes them as 'cut-outs' and the people who bid on them ain't too bright). I don't know how many of these guides exist, but Huff and now others, are destroying them almost in bulk now - check the ebay listings. I refuse to sell any of my Spalding or Reach guidebooks on ebay any more, simply because I know odds are that they will end up in AAA holders.