NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Default Strange Tip Top Pricing

Why is this:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=11221

Selling for more than this:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=97781

Same card. Same technical grade. But the cheaper one obviously presents much, much more cleanly. And the auctions are only a short time apart. I guess I should have sucked it up and bought the first one. I was expecting the second one to sell for at least a thousand less than the first one.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

was very surprised at the price of the Goodwin one too!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Why is this:

I was expecting the second one to sell for at least a thousand less than the first one.
A few thoughts come to mind - maybe some others out there were also holding out for the second one as you were and now don't want to be without one. Or maybe it has something to do with the auction houses...

Last edited by Matt; 07-15-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
pete ullman

Perhaps PSA Registry People too lazy too cross over cards? The SGC is much nicer in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Strange Tip Top Pricing

A follow up to Paul's comments: TIP TOP PRICING

These cards are very hard to predict the pricing! The Dreyfuss in the SCD listing VG is $900. When he became member of HOF in Dec. 07 and with the POPULATION from SGC a total of 11, 5 being SGC 10's, I believe this is what is driving the record sales price of this card. The Goodwin auction of March 08, the Dreyfuss SGC 50, (of which there is 1 per SGC Population) went for $9,595. In the very same auction a SIMON SGC 50 went for $1,980. At the recent Mastro I picked up a SIMON SGC 40 for $248. I pick up 2 Fred Clarke's SGC 30's for both under $2K. The Goodwin auction of March 08 Fred Clarke SGC 30 went for $4,249. Around Jul. 08 a Fred Clarke on EBay SGC 40, the bid was somewhere around $2,125.

At this point I have near completion of 2 Sets, 25 in one set, 24 in the second.

I have NO CLUE what the value of these 2 Sets, are. I guess I just have to sell them to find out what they are worth.

Any Tip Top Fans have any valuation comments?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 PM

I actually didn't hold off on Legendary's card. I was the underbidder. When I saw Goodwin's, hope renewed that I would own one of these things. I guess not. Do any of you have a nice one with severe back damage? Or maybe slightly trimmed?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default prices

When you go to VCP and look at pricing you can always tell the Goodwin cards (pick a set, any set)....just look for the ones that have sold for 400% of all of the others and you barely have to look at the venue.....it's almost unbelievable.....
Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Dreyfuss

Paul,
As I mentioned I have 1 complete set, and 24/25 in my second set.
This is my only Dreyfuss. I too was going to go for the Mastro or Goodwin! But the bidding just got out of control, should have grabbed the Mastro, but I believe who ever won it, the sky was the limit!
HOPE YOU LIKE IT!
dreyfuss.jpg
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When you go to VCP and look at pricing you can always tell the Goodwin cards (pick a set, any set)....just look for the ones that have sold for 400% of all of the others and you barely have to look at the venue.....it's almost unbelievable.....
Leon,

Because you're in the auction business, you might appreciate this. I remember that not long ago on this board the topic came up regarding the high prices Goodwin's auctions realize. One board member explained that Bill does a really good job marketing his auctions, and sometimes he takes some cards from an upcoming auction to shows and displays them on his table(s). Kind of to whet collectors' appetites. You and Scott might want to consider something like this.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
qu@n nguy3n

from the title of the thread i expected the goodwin to have doubled the mastro card with one day to go...but it's still relatively in the same neighborhood...albeit the legendary is much nicer.

from my experience when multiples of the same cards come up for auction people hold back on the first lot figuring there's always a second shot/let market dictate price and go stronger on the latter...kinda like the t206 planks that went in silk road and rea.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Goodwin also sends out a lot of catalogs...I signed up a long time ago and only participated in that one auction...didn't win anything and yet I still get all of their catalogs....so I think they just don't drop anyone off their list.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default For the record

I think Bill Goodwin is a nice guy and runs a great auction. His marketing is very good too. I don't take anything away from his efforts. Great catalogs too......

Rob D- we will have some of our items in our next auction at the National for show.....so if anyone wants to get some exposure with a consignment .....hey, can't blame a guy for a plug every great once in a while.....
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Rob D- we will have some of our items in our next auction at the National for show.
Excellent, Leon. Good marketing decision, sir.

My guess is you'll see positive results from this in your next auction.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Haven't there been several threads bashing Legendary and pointing out their less than impressive prices realized?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Greg, this is true. I found that Bill and Doug used to be master marketers -- probably better than Bill Goodwin -- but then they seemed to have lost their mojo about 18 months ago. Sometimes marketing magic just disappears overnight.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Door #2???