NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2001, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Default O.K., si it justr happened yesterday, but doesn't anyone want to say anything about Derek Jeter, or

Posted By: Vognar Julie

I wanted the Snakes to win. For one thing, there should be some sort of law against winning 4 (or 5!) Series in a row, and besides, I was getting tired of the slumbering Yankee dragon suddenly waking up in the playoffs and beating the tar out of everyone.

And no, I don't think I'm being unpatriotic.

...I never saw anyone perform anything resembling two plays Derek Jeter made. And Shilling, acting like Radbourn, and Rivera, making mistakes. And the Big Unit, coming in to pitch after pitching the night before.

Haven't been that excited since Kirk Gibson hit the limp off home run against Dennis Eckersly in '88. While all my fellow A's fans were switching off the T.V. and grunmbling, I was still pointing at the screen and saying, "DID YOU SEE WHAT THAT MAN JUST DID?
HE HIT A HOME RUN BECAUSE IF HE"D HIT A SINGLE, HE NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT TO FIRST BASE!

Much too much out of me.

Julie

Old 11-05-2001, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default O.K., si it justr happened yesterday, but doesn't anyone want to say anything about Derek Jeter, or

Posted By: Elliot

What an unbelievable series---ONE FOR THE AGES. It will only get better with time.

Old 11-05-2001, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Granted, I wanted AZ to win just to see Mark Grace, one of my favorite Cubs (ok, ex-Cub), get his ring but if the Yankees won ON ONE could say they didn't deserve it. Those 2 extra inning games - I feel for Kim, but those games are examples of why I love Baseball.

This series was the most exciting that I can remember and I've watching for the last 20+ years.

Watching 20+ years? Oh God, Am I THAT old?

Old 11-05-2001, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ephuspitch

I can't remember when I've had so much fun doing "Monday Morning Managing." The series had SO many things to talk about:
--Let Schilling hit?
--Bring in Johnson?
--Which pitch should Womack run on?
--Should you try to sacrifice a runner to third even though you've got little chance of success?
--infield in or out in the ninth? Torre said in, the right answer might've been out, or at least in at the corners, DP depth in the field.

Heck, that's just a few of the big ones, and in only two innings of only one game. We were treated to seven of these gems.

For me it compared to '91, when Tom Kelly decided to just keep sending Jack Morris back out there until it was all over.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I definately agree that it was the best World Series since my beloved Twins won in '91. It looks like it will be my last great moment for the Twins. It is such a shame because we know have a team that can compete.

Having been a Twin fan for life and a season ticket holder since '92 it will tear at my heart if they contract the Twins.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Read on ESPN that Marlins, Twins and Montreal teams could be over.

What about the Tampa Bay Devil Rays??

Why the Marlins or the Twins?

jL

Old 11-07-2001, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I was reading about this in a 1902 "Spalding Base Ball Guide" - fascinating stuff.

Old 11-08-2001, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

The Jeter plays were awesome, but I still give the nod to Brooks Robinson - as great as he was, he actually got better in the World Series. As far as a jaw-dropper, Gibson's homer can't be matched. If Brosius had been pinch-hitting with a patch over his left eye, maybe...

Old 11-09-2001, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vognar Julie

Put them all together they spell M-O-N-E-Y. I'd heard that the Devil Rays were in the mix too--that it'll be two out of three.

Thank goodness the A's broke 2,000,000 this year. That still doesn't fill many ballparks.

Julie

Old 11-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

From my understanding the big reasons that the Twins are on the list is 1) Carl Pohlad is willing to let them go for $250 mill, I guess the $1.8 billion he is worth is not enough for him, 2) The Twins are debt free, 3)We have no viable stadium to bring in the needed revenue to succeed in the future.

As far as the Devil Rays, it sounds like they are tied into a 30 year lease, and have highly paid players that may not be taken in a dispersal draft. They do play in the one stadium that is worst than the Metrodome for baseball.

The other thing that sucks if Minnesota is contracted we will probably have another team that we will end up paying so much more in the long run.