NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Doug C.

Default Semi O/T: What's a good digital camera for taking pictures of cards?

I've seen threads about the best scanners to use for scanning your cards, but I use a laptop and I don't really have the space for a scanner. I've seen some really good pictures of cards that have been taken with digital cameras and I was wondering if anybody could recommend one that's not too expensive. I don't really need anything professional quality, just something good enough to take pictures of cards for ebay, photobucket, etc. Thanks!

Last edited by Doug; 09-13-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default -My opinion-

Doug, this is just my opinion...but I would not use a digital camera for the purposes you mention ( ebay, photobucket, websites etc)

There are just too many issues that tend to make the picture subpar.
(Lighting, Flash, Glare, Propping the cards up, etc.)

I've got a pretty good digital camera but I have never been happy with the results.

I know you mentioned that you don't have a lot of room for a scanner...but since these are all USB connections, just hook it up when you are going to use it...and hide it in your sock drawer otherwise

I have a Canon 4400F that was only about $100 and it takes great scans (even graded cards with no glare). I probably only use it once a week...and would have no problem storing it the rest of the week. (although I do have room in my case)

So, just my opinion...enjoy either way!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Dave

Any digital camera that takes pictures very good pictures of cards is probably going to be expensive because you'll have to find the right filter.

I just went scanner shopping last week and actually settled on one that's a behemoth because I wanted something that could scan oversized film negatives.

I did however run across a flatbed scanner from Canon, maybe it's the one that Doug is talking about, and it's really tiny and compact. I think it was like 100 bucks.

I've always been happy with Canon products to.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Doug I agree with Brian I have a great camera but have a lot more luck with my cheap scanner. D.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Sony A300

I do very well with my Sony A300 Digital SLR. I haven't used a scanner in ages, so I am not really making a comparison.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Robert Klevens

The Ricoh CX1 has the best macro feature (1 cm) I could find.
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/cx/cx1/
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Doug C.

Thanks for the help so far. I don't really need anything too high end since I don't sell often. I'm just looking for an alternative to the ancient scanner I have access to at work.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I'll chime in with the Canon 4400f. It does amazing scans.

As far as shooting copy shots with cameras, there is no need to use filters with digital files- they can easily be corrected with photoshop or similar programs.
Any camera that will focus close enough to come close to filling the frame should work, just make sure that there is a high enough light level that you're not getting camera shake, and zoom out to the longest focal length (telephoto) your camera has, to avoid reflections if the cards are slabbed.
I recently got a Canon G10 (there is a new model, the G11). It's a compact point and shoot and is absolutely amazing. It's simple if you want it to be, but has a lot of sophisticated features if you want to use them. It's a bit pricey for what it is (about $450) but worth every penny. And for an extra $200 you can get a water housing that will go to 150'
Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Joe M.

Yes I agree, purchase a scanner, I only use a digital camera for larger items, has never worked very well for me with cards.

Joe
Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Yes I agree, purchase a scanner, I only use a digital camera for larger items, has never worked very well for me with cards.

Joe
Ditto. I tried to use a camera for cards and then wised up and have a Canon 8800F and have never looked back although for pennants and larger items, I use the camera.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Rawn Hill

A nice scanner .............. 620B. Cheap too.

Rawn
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I know you mentioned that you don't have a lot of room for a scanner...but since these are all USB connections, just hook it up when you are going to use it...and hide it in your sock drawer otherwise.
I didn't know they all connected and were powered by USB now. It's been so long since I had a scanner that my old one had a parallel port and a AC Adapter and was quite clunky. I ended up ordering a Canon for around $100 and it is actually helpful that I can slide it under the dresser or something when I don't need it. Thanks to everyone that chimed in!

Last edited by Doug; 09-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.