NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: s falletti

Okay, I should probably blame this on my wife for giving me this task in the first place, (read, but I'm too afraid of this woman);

Set the stage; Foggy eyed, half-nekid, cold feet and a blazing sun through the sink window...

While filling the gigantic and somewhat complex Cuisineart Grind n Brew coffee machine with the kitchen sprayer, I looked away briefly and inadvertantly sprayed/doused the edge of a Sanella Ruth SGC encapsulated, that was sitting on the counter awaiting packaging.

Thinkin no big whoop, I wipe it off then notice a small bit of the moisture had crept through the ?seal. Water was just touching the black frame within. Luckily the card was far from the wet corner. I used the vacuum to remove the water -no ill effects.

This was a rather new submission, gently handled and couldn't find damage to the holder. I always thought these holders were thoroughly heat sealed and humidity not a concern. Reckon we should store these in a cool-dry place.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: darren

I keep all graded cards in sealed plastic sleeves to avoid such catastrophes.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Jon & Jennifer

...as stoopid does....

I found that Windex ALSO penetrates those seemingly air/watertight slabs...

Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: barrysloate

And Darren is certainly an expert on water damage. He has lived through and is still experiencing the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, and doing wonderful work to help people in medical need. Just thought I would add that to your post.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I remember being at card show one time and seeing a booth with graded cards sitting in the bottom of an aquarium, demonstrating their alleged water tightness. Can't remember the name of the company, though. There are probably better ways to display a collection, and safer ways to tempt fate.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: jay behrens

If the tank is filled with piranah, I'd think they would be pretty safe

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

I used to own a piranha, and he lived for fifteen years. True story, you can't make these things up. He ate goldfish.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: B.c.Daniels

I had oscars and Jack Dempsey's that I fed lots of feeder gold fish to. The oscars got huge,died and my neighbor's son brought them to school for a biology class autopsy.A fatty liver and elevated liver enzymes from too much cholesterol was the diagnosis! No cards bubbling from the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: leon

We had an Oscar that grew from the size of a minnow to about a foot long. He must have weighed a few pounds. He was in a 65 gallon tank. One time he got real sick, and at the time I worked at a vet (I was 16), the vet gave me a syringe of tetramiacyn (or something like that), we took him out and gave it to him, and about 1 minute later he was all better. Only time I ever gave a fish a shot.....had that sucker for about 10 years or so....(well, maybe that's a fish story but it seemed like that long)....regards

Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: pete ullman

In college I put a little quarter sized pirahna in my roommates tank because I hated his lame tropicals and wanted them terminated...I know...mean thing to do. He then gave it to our buddie Skibbie who had a 70 gallon tank with 3 pirahna and eventually a snakehead.

The pirahna grew to about 6-8 inches wide and we used to feed them goldfish before Mike Tyson fights to get riled up! It's an awesome sight to behold! Eventually the snakehead took down one of the pirahna and it was all downhill from there.

pete in mn

Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Joann

Oh no. First I have to try to figure out what it is about vintage card collecting that goes with being a lawyer (besides income - not many doctors here but lots of lawyers).

Now I have to wonder also about why vintage card collectors also seem to dabble in carnivorous, aggressive and violent sealife. I never heard of one person in my whole life that had any of these fish, and you vintage collectors are suddenly coming out of the weeds about it!

Oh, and giving the fish a shot has to be one of the best laughs. And I had just picked myself up after falling down laughing about taking a fish to a vet. lol You go Leon!!

Joann

Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: pete ullman

i'm a dentist.

pete in mn

Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Joann

lol Pete. Yes, a dentist that tried to assassinate his college roommate's harmless little decoration fish. That one's pretty funny too.

Joann

(I had kind of figured you were a dentist based on your username.)

Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: jay behrens

no one had any fighting fish? I always wondered how they would do against a piranah.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: davidcycleback

When I was a little kid, my family lived briefly in tropical Australia. Before we moved, a local said "There are 210 different kinds of snakes where you are moving. But don't worry, only 95 are poisonous." The public beaches had nets in the water due to sharks and the place was home to flying foxes (the largest bat), cat killing birds and varieties of lizards. I had lived my whole life in Wisconsin where you get excited if you see a groundhog. After seing a picture of a rural Wisconsin farm house covered in snow, the local kids though I came from the exotic place.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: ullmandds

jay...you mean beta? those colorful little fighting fish? i believe they only attack each other! there aint much that'll take down pirahna or snakeheads in the freshwater world!

pete in mn

Old 01-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

That is correct. A piranha would kill the beta in about two seconds. Male Siamese fighting fish only fight other males, and they can also squeeze the eggs out of the female and place them carefully in the bubble nest they build. But in the process, the female is killed. We had them all, saltwater too. Being a fish is a tough life.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Ed McCollum

but I did get a venus flytrap for Christmas. Not nearly as entertaining as I though it might be. The bugs have to be pretty stupid and pretty slow to actually get caught.

Brings this thread full circle. Stoopid is as Stoopid does.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default Stoopid is...

Posted By: Julie Vognar

not only are they ugly--they aren't even safe! (thanks for the heads-up--I never knew that either)