NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-11-2023, 05:46 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
$680 out of $700 million deferred. That's hard to believe.
That is insane amount of deferred money but he will make a ton in marketing each year.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-11-2023, 08:04 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
That is insane amount of deferred money but he will make a ton in marketing each year.

Even Bonilla will be retired before this guy stops getting paid.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Yep. Capitalism sucks.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Capitalism is the only thing that allows me to buy baseball cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-11-2023, 09:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
$680 out of $700 million deferred. That's hard to believe.
So what's the present value of the contract?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:06 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So what's the present value of the contract?
Not sure if this is correct:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1280.jpg (178.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:18 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

What’s the payment after 10 years ?
2 million a year for 340 years ? 😊
Old 12-12-2023, 07:41 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
What’s the payment after 10 years ?
2 million a year for 340 years ? 😊
Apparently he gets the rest from 2034-2043 so not quite as long as you suggested.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:46 AM
Jay Shumsky

Does the deferred money get counted as salary paid when determining the luxury tax owed during the years it's being paid or does the contract only get included during the years he's playing based on the present value which is around $46 million per year?
Old 12-12-2023, 08:08 AM
James M.

Quote:
Yep. Capitalism sucks.

I wouldn't say Capitalism sucks, not to get political, but any sort of system/organization without any kind of regulation leaves itself open to corruption and rampant abuse. You wouldn't mind the players salaries, team values, and price of tickets/ballpark concessions, if the average persons money rose with the times. But that's not a discussion for here.

I wouldn't be surprised if deferment is addressed in the next CBA. I can't imagine this makes many people happy.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:30 AM
Dave

Quote:
Does the deferred money get counted as salary paid when determining the luxury tax owed during the years it's being paid or does the contract only get included during the years he's playing based on the present value which is around $46 million per year?

Exactly. 46 Mill gets counted towards the cap.

Still a pretty huge cap hit.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:16 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Yep. Present value of total payout = $46 million per year. Cap hit = $46 million too.

After the initial screwed-up reporting, this deal now seems . . . manageable.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:20 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I wouldn't say Capitalism sucks, not to get political, but any sort of system/organization without any kind of regulation leaves itself open to corruption and rampant abuse. You wouldn't mind the players salaries, team values, and price of tickets/ballpark concessions, if the average persons money rose with the times. But that's not a discussion for here.

I wouldn't be surprised if deferment is addressed in the next CBA. I can't imagine this makes many people happy.
Oh my! Dodgers are DEFERRING COMPENSATION!! Can you believe it!! What rampant corruption and abuse!! I don't like this at all!
Old 12-12-2023, 10:13 AM

I don't understand the issue. Don't we all try to make as much money as possible in our jobs? Why does it become different if the job is a professional athlete? Why shouldn't Ohtani make as much money as he can? Who wouldn't in their own employment?

There is only one person in the world who can play the game like Ohtani can, and that's Ohtani himself. Why wouldn't he be subject to a different standard when it came to his pay?
Old 12-12-2023, 10:38 AM
James M.

Quote:
Oh my! Dodgers are DEFERRING COMPENSATION!! Can you believe it!! What rampant corruption and abuse!! I don't like this at all!

I apologize if the points I was trying to make weren't clear. The two things are separate issues, I'm by no means saying the deferring of compensation is corrupt. I'm quite fine with how the deal was structured. The second point I made was more along the lines of owners of smaller market teams who feel like they couldn't afford a deal such as this, and such would raise this issue during the next CBA negotiation.

To my first point, I'm just a firm believer that too much money has permeated the sport. I fully understand that owning a team is a business, you want to maximize your profit. But these gaudy numbers that surround everything related to professional sports nowadays is pretty ridiculous.

Donscards.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:40 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't understand the issue. Don't we all try to make as much money as possible in our jobs? Why does it become different if the job is a professional athlete? Why shouldn't Ohtani make as much money as he can? Who wouldn't in their own employment?

There is only one person in the world who can play the game like Ohtani can, and that's Ohtani himself. Why wouldn't he be subject to a different standard when it came to his pay?
My issue with sports on the whole, and this is just a personal opinion, is that there's too much money involved in all of them nowadays. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that players are paid millions of dollars to play baseball, or really any sport for that matter. Yes the market dictates what they're worth/paid, and it's just something I have to live with.

Donscards.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 AM

But what makes it ridiculous? Salaries provide a window into the health of the league. Clearly MLB is doing very well considering how often these contracts are offered. I'm really not sure how it can bother people that talented individuals who generate revenues are paid salaries that reflect their value. Isn't that what everyone wants out of their job? It's upsets me I can't get it in my own work. But I'm not going to take it out on a baseball player.

Last edited by packs; 12-12-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:23 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

One need not be a communist to understand that $700 million to play a game is kind of absurd. Good for him, go and get his, but it’s also a little nuts that we have chosen to value a ballplayer like this rather than any functional role.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:34 AM

A talented professional athlete is earning their way. In every other circumstance it seems like maxing out your potential value is encouraged. But not in sports.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:53 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
A talented professional athlete is earning their way. In every other circumstance it seems like maxing out your potential value is encouraged. But not in sports.
Nobody is criticizing him for maximizing his value or getting his money. I even said it explicitly. Many people recognize that paying $700,000,000 to a player of a game is rather absurd for the obvious reasons.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:16 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Nobody is criticizing him for maximizing his value or getting his money. I even said it explicitly. Many people recognize that paying $700,000,000 to a player of a game is rather absurd for the obvious reasons.
Anybody getting $700 million for anything is absurd. More absurd is Elon Musk's kids (as an example) being worth $2 billion each just for popping out of the right birth canal.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:25 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers.jpg (41.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 02:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

When anyone comes up with a better way than the free market to determine what someone's services are worth, please post it here.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:22 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
When anyone comes up with a better way than the free market to determine what someone's services are worth, please post it here.
*Chairman Mao enters the chat*

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'll believe MLB is an example of a free market when teams aren't heavily subsidized with forced tax revenues and the states/cities aren't paying for most of the stadiums.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:05 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I'll believe MLB is an example of a free market when teams aren't heavily subsidized with forced tax revenues and the states/cities aren't paying for most of the stadiums.
I'm pretty sure most stadiums have been paid for more by cities and states than by the teams. The new stadium being built in Las Vegas is just the latest example.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most stadiums have been paid for more by cities and states than by the teams. The new stadium being built in Las Vegas is just the latest example.
Exactly.

A state protected monopoly heavily subsidized by the state is a poor example of a free market lol
Old 12-12-2023, 05:03 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Exactly.

A state protected monopoly heavily subsidized by the state is a poor example of a free market lol
Sorry, I realized I misread your earlier post that I replied to.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
If you are going to cross off the list any entity that has negotiated tax breaks or subsidies, there won't be much of a free market left.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
If you are going to cross off the list any entity that has negotiated tax breaks or subsidies, there won't be much of a free market left.

If you believe it is necessary to negotiate special breaks and subsidies from the state for a business to operate, that might be a clue that it ain't a free market at all.

There's nothing free market about it if it's government subsidized and a state protected monopoly. This is one of the worst businesses in America to claim is free market.