NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Marty

Default Chemtoy Hi-Bounce Balls

I’ve seen a few posts in this section that mention the Chemtoy Super Balls. I was digging through my rat pack past last week, and found some of my collection. Little me was a big spender, buying these at my local Big N store on sale for 20 cents! Has anybody else ever seen these on the original card? Every time I have seen them with original packaging, it has been in the big box where they were loose and sold for 10 cents each (back in 1970). I still have some in these blister packages and some loose. I remember playing with a few when I was a kid. The pictures in them always made me laugh – some were pretty nice and very clear. Some were so dark you could hardly make out that it was face, let alone recognize the player. Anybody else have any fun memories of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012 (2).jpg (73.3 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by laughlinfan; 08-24-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM
David M.

Are those the same ones they used to sell in the machines for a quarter? That's the only way I remember seeing them.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Chemtoy Super Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
I’ve seen a few posts in this section that mention the Chemtoy Super Balls. I was digging through my rat pack past last week, and found some of my collection. Little me was a big spender, buying these at my local Big N store on sale for 20 cents! Has anybody else ever seen these on the original card? Every time I have seen them with original packaging, it has been in the big box where they were loose and sold for 10 cents each (back in 1970). I still have some in these blister packages and some loose. I remember playing with a few when I was a kid. The pictures in them always made me laugh – some were pretty nice and very clear. Some were so dark you could hardly make out that it was face, let alone recognize the player. Anybody else have any fun memories of these?
I remember having the super balls, with the players pictured, but just can't recall how they were packaged. I think they were loose. Those are very cool in the original packaging.

A Brooksie super ball in one of those packages?!?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Are those the same ones they used to sell in the machines for a quarter? That's the only way I remember seeing them.
Yes me also
Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

hadn't seen those, but i do have a pete rose marble.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I remember them as being loose and picking them out of a box from our (extremely small town) local grocery store. I had about 7 or 8 of them, mostly Phillies (Harmon, Bowa) and Reds (Rose, Carroll) from what I remember. I do think I saw them in gumball type vending machines as well, but it wouldn't have been at our local store.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

team boxes exist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (74.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 AM

I got mine out of a vending machine at Kmart. I haven't seen them packaged any other way.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 AM
B.ob L.amb

I have some complete sets of the New York Yankees that came from an original team box.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:09 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default chemtoy

anyone have a cesar tovar for sale
would love to buy one of those blister paks
sflayank@aol.com
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I always bought them from a large box, the local store had an AL box next to an NL box. Never saw the team boxes at the time, and this is the first I've seen of the blisters.
If anyone had a team box or AL/NL box with or without the balls for sale I"m interested.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Al Richter

Default Balls

Larry--bet there are some team lineup variations
Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Marty

Hey Mark! Don't remember who I have in my blister packs - sounds like a good rainy day project to dig them out and take a look! I remember I had some HOFers so entombed, but haven't looked close in 25-30 years or so! Not sure about Tovar, Larry, but I will keep my eyes peeled for him too!

I am guessing that the team boxes were probably distributed to cities/towns close to the teams, and maybe the AL/NL boxes to cities without teams close by(?) Have seen full boxes of different teams from time to time on eBay, but never a blister pack - probably not too many people bought them in 1970 without freeing them; hi-bounce balls aren't too much fun all sealed up! I am guessing some of the loose ones did end up in gumball machines - I remember Hi-bounce balls were pretty common in those, but I don't remember ever seeing these baseball ones sold that way. Perfect (large) gumball sized, so would make sense to sell them that way.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Bob Davies

Default Montreal Expos Hi-Bounce Balls

I have 3-4 Montreal Expos balls I bought from when I was a kid, in Montreal. I recall them being sold loose in a box at the local corner stores. After reading these posts, I now would believe these were likely team boxes that were sold one at a time by the store owner.

I never saw a blister pack... although now you've set me on a chase on a new trek... to find some Expos in blister packs.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
I am guessing that the team boxes were probably distributed to cities/towns close to the teams, and maybe the AL/NL boxes to cities without teams close by(?)
Sorry to blow your theory, but AL/NL boxes were at most toy stores when I was a kid in Santa Monica, about 8 miles from Dodger Stadium and about 45 from Anaheim.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Marty

Duplicate - removed.

Last edited by laughlinfan; 08-27-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Dup
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Marty

That's OK, Anthony - theories are meant to be blown! I am guessing the Montreal Expos box wouldn't have gone to your area (or many areas outside of Quebec!), so maybe AL/NL nationally, and individual team boxes near the home town team as well would seem logical, then. I will have to check my blister packs to see if all (or many) teams were included, or if they were limited to a small set of teams. I do know that there were mixed teams in each pack.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I wonder if the team boxes were simply a way to sell returns the next year?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default AL/NL Boxes

AL Auction:http://www.legendaryauctions.com/197...lot166397.aspx

NL Auction:http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...ring/1060.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 166397a_lg.jpg (16.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg item_34511_1.jpg (48.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Marty

Hey Dave - interesting thought. I am guessing if the team boxes were made up of returns, it would have required someone to sort them back at the factory(?) I would think, from a marketing/sales perspective, it would probably make sense to put popular players in the AL/NL boxes. The two auction links (thanks, Joe!) probably reinforce that they tried to put some of the better players in the league boxes. Makes me wonder if lesser known players would have been produced in smaller numbers - seems reasonable.

I did enjoy REA's writeup - I am guessing, though, that kids did like these; I know THIS kid bounced a few of them off the walls, but I would have reserved that fate for players I didn't really like!

And not for nothing, I am wondering, 45 years later, who came up with the great company name?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Anthøny N. ex

we used to use them for batting practice. Tougher to hit since they were so small, but if you connected they'd clear the fence easily.
IIRC they tended to fracture and chip pretty easily too.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Hey Dave - interesting thought. I am guessing if the team boxes were made up of returns, it would have required someone to sort them back at the factory(?) I would think, from a marketing/sales perspective, it would probably make sense to put popular players in the AL/NL boxes. The two auction links (thanks, Joe!) probably reinforce that they tried to put some of the better players in the league boxes. Makes me wonder if lesser known players would have been produced in smaller numbers - seems reasonable.
An educated guess on my part as Topps and a few other companies would repurpose and resell their returns back in the same time frame.

I don't remember these on Long Island as a kid.

Last edited by toppcat; 08-31-2015 at 10:22 AM.