NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were hoping to complete a 1952 or 1964 set, but I think it's awesome that there are guys who are hoping to buy everything out there. From my reads, neither our Bartirome collector nor the Flood collector are specifically trying to rig the market--both have sentimental reasons for their quixotic quests.

I love seeing collectors who are passionate about the players and the cards, particularly when so much of the "Hobby" is about money these days. True, it takes an awful lot of disposable cash to support this Bartiromania, but there is a love I see here that I just don't when I read all about PSA 8s that get mailed in over and over until they become 9s.
Thanks Jason for your fond thoughts.

So the 32 PSA 8's on the pop report for the #332, would you say there are probably only 10 of them to obtain?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Banned

Default 4 reasons why I pursue 1952 Bartirome much harder then the 1953 Bartirome

You guys asked why I am not buying the 1953 Bartirome.

Actually I have bought about 10 of them, usually PSA 6's. I imagine I will buy a few more PSA 5's and 6's here & there, a few times a year going forward.

But I am not equally obsessed about "hoarding" the 1953 Topps Bartirome UNLESS it is PSA 7's & up, as I am about the 1952 Topps Bartirome in ANY condition.

I did win this 1953 PSA 8 last week:

& previously won a few PSA 8's on eBay in the $150 range.

I see a PSA 7 on eBay now from PWCC, so I will be bidding at the end.

I would love to find the 4 PSA 9's of the 1953 Bartirome.

I equally want to hoard the 2011 Topps Gold Canary Bartirome. 10 exist, and I have 1 of them.

I do not know why it does not interest me to go down the entire list of 1953 Bartirome listings & buy them all up. I did flirt with the idea of doing so a few times, but when I looked at the offerings, there were too many. Is discouraged the right word? There are a 100 listings right now, & I assume that a week after I clear the listings, another 100 would pop up. I assume there are 10,000's of them? So the fact that they are not rare, & we value & find "special" in what's rare is 1 factor why hoarding ALL 1953 Bartirome does not interest me. Also, I want a challenge & the challenge has to have me be able to at least see, if not reach the finish line. With the 1953 Bartirome, I perceive an endless supply & therefore the challenge seems impossible & pointless. Then there is the emergency doomsday factor, that if I did in fact need to liquidate (because as was mentioned, life happens, maybe a financial catastrophe happens or unemployment, or a combination of having to get a wedding ring, having children, & wife expenses happen - then I don't believe I could liquidate 1953 Topps Bartirome's except the PSA 7's and 8's. Gold, silver, $500/$1000 bills are easy to pawn/liquidate immediately. That goes for the 1952 Topps Bartirome too. Easy to liquidate for a fair share of my money back if it was an absolute necessity to do so. I don't want to pour thousands into 1953 Bartirome when I can never recover much of it back!

Finally, & most importantly, is the lack of story attached to the 1953 Topps set. The powerful story of the 1952 Topps set is what hooked me on collecting my family member's card! As a kid I would always see a single, ungraded, not even in a top loader, 1953 Topps Bartirome in my Dad's desk drawer. Never did I even know Tony had a 1952 Topps card. Never did my Dad even know! I played little league in the 1990's and idolized Griffey & mimicked his swing. My Dad was never a card collector, & was unaware of the 1952 Topps set. I was only aware of 1989 Upper Deck and the 1990 Topps No Name Frank Thomas & all cards after that.

So I saw that 1953 Topps Bartirome just sitting around in Dad's desk drawer for years & years, maybe even taking it to school in 3rd 4th 5th grade bragging how my family member was a pro baseball player!

We have always known the 1953 Topps Bartirome to be worth just a couple of dollars. We had searched it before on eBay, but never saw a 1952 Topps mixed into that search.

It wasn't until 2014 that I read the story of 1952 Topps HIGH NUMBERS. How it was a huge failure & they dumped cases upon cases into the ocean! Read about Alan Rosen & the 1952 Topps find in the guys attic. All the rich legendary stories about this card set! Found out Tony Bartirome was in this set! I knew this set to be the famous Mickey Mantle card set, & was blown away that #332 was none other then my family member! Tony a part of the same set as Mickey Mantle's famous card!!! I printed out the numerous stories about the infamous ocean dump & how the high numbers came to be so rare, & gave my Dad some reading material along with a PSA 2 #332 Bartirome. I told him, "Can you believe that Tony is a part of the most popular trading card set in history!?!?" & that it has this amazing story about dumping the last fourth of the cards in the set INTO THE OCEAN!?!?!? AND THAT TONY'S CARD HAPPENS TO BE IN THIS INFAMOUS FATED HIGH NUMBER GROUP!? LOOK AT THESE PRICES THAT TONY'S 1952 TOPPS GOES FOR!!!!!"

I showed him a printed out recent sales from eBay showing $100-$300 for Bartirome PSA 1's to 5's. He was so amused, & just shaking his head like WOW. We know Tony was not much of a ball player, but we are proud nevertheless that he made it & that he is part of this historic, most popular card set & legendary story about dumping high numbers into the ocean. He took that PSA 2 to his work where he proudly shows it off thanks to me.

I got a late start on collecting it, & have only been at it since fall of 2014, but I've made up for lost time well, nearing 100 #332's now. It sucks doing a google search for Bartirome #332 & seeing that these different auction houses sold #332 for much lower amounts then I am used to paying, but some of these sales I see go back to 2005. Wow, it would have been nice to have grabbed this PSA 8 for $682 or this PSA 8 in 2010 for $528. I would have bid $1,000+ on these!!! I even missed this PSA 6 just last year for $170, are you kidding me!?!? $170!?!?!? I would have bid $400!!!! (just months before I became aware of the existence of the card, but still didn't think to look anywhere, but eBay until this month!!!!). Even once I was buying them up on eBay this year, I was unaware that sellers would be willing to sell them off eBay, so I even missed this PSA 3 for $120!!!! I would have bid $300 for it!!! I see such higher prices on eBay, & so much more competition in the bidding, then these off ebay auction houses that are showing only 1 bid for some of these Bartirome's!!!!!! I don't know what would possess these websites to not sell what they get - on eBay! What's 6% ebay fees if you have an eBay store for $15 a month!? Well, now I know & last few weeks I have been signing up with every off ebay auction house there is. Disappointed only Heritage Auctions has an alert feature for BARTIROME search, & disappointed I just paid $1,500+ for my first true PSA 8 from REA (with buyer's premium added) when I see HA had the most recent PSA 8 sold for $597 just in 2013! I have been sending the owner offers through HA's offer tool, but the offers have gone unanswered. I did see a PSA 8 hit eBay very briefly last year when I just begun buying them, & did not yet comprehend that a PSA 8 is hard to find so when I saw the seller's $1,000 buy it now with offer option, I thought offering $700 was good enough, but someone offered $950 & the seller took it fast.

So can someone explain why even just in a 2 year period a PSA 8 would have stayed around $600 in 2005, 2010 & 2013 with these off eBay auction houses & then gone all the way up to $1,300 this month with my purchase?

Now you know the 4 reasons why I gravitate to the 1952 Topps Bartirome over the 1953 Topps Bartirome.

Thanks everyone for making this a great conversation.

I think I will post again with an updated picture of the collection. I will push hard to get 100 of them in the picture. A few $300 offers to buy a few PSA 4-5 ungraded condition #332's have presented itself, & waiting on REA's PSA 8 to arrive.

Last edited by dollarscholar; 10-22-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Tom Boblitt

Neat story......I would argue that you cost yourself some on the REA PSA8 at $1500 as there may have been someone here reading this story that pushed it up. Who knows. Regardless, your quest continues. At 100, you probably have 5-10% of the known population if it's 1000-2000. You talk about liquidity and I'd argue that if you needed to liquidate the 1952's, it would be at a fraction of what you could liquidate the 1953's at in terms of a percentage. Of course, they just don't hold the interest for you. So how far into this are you? $50,000? That would buy a lot of much more liquid Gold or Silver Bullion or $500/$1000 bills in a much more liquid, much more widely-held market. Some people are silver stackers, you are a Bartirome stacker.............

Last edited by autograf; 10-22-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Bill Gregory

This thread is surreal, but also fascinating. I feel bubbles in my head, like I've had too much champagne.

I'm curious as to why you want the 10 2011 Topps Lineage Gold Canary cards of his? Should you acquire all of them, how do you determine which family members get these?

Why if you're also hoarding the '53 cards do you only want PSA 7 +? That seems, to me anyway, to reinforce the notion that you are hoarding these cards for future profit. The '52 Topps cards are from the first full set Topps ever did, and are from the high series. They are innately valuable, condition not withstanding. But the '53s don't have the same demand. However, collectors pursing the 1953 Topps registry will want high grade examples of the card. Can you comment on that?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I took moderator privileges and moved this to the front page from the BST. It's an interesting discussion...
Old 10-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Rich Klein

I"ve written, commented on kind of sort of similar circumstances:

Here are some other exampels

The man who chases 1964 Curt Flood cards

The man (and he has a cool blog and I've sent him cards and will do so again) who chases every Tim Wallach card ever produced (No he will not get them)

The story Roger Neufeldt told me about George Kernek who at point had more than 100 of his 1966 SP Hi # Rookie Card (and his only Topps card I believe(

Now this ---

WHen I was a dealer/collector in NJ in the 1980's -- ( bought a ton of Joe Cunningham carfds in case I ever wanted to open a store in my home town.

Love to hear mose stories such as this and would love to talk to the OP -- and Tony became the Pirates trainer for many years.

Rich
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I"ve written, commented on kind of sort of similar circumstances:

Here are some other exampels

The man who chases 1964 Curt Flood cards

The man (and he has a cool blog and I've sent him cards and will do so again) who chases every Tim Wallach card ever produced (No he will not get them)

The story Roger Neufeldt told me about George Kernek who at point had more than 100 of his 1966 SP Hi # Rookie Card (and his only Topps card I believe(

Now this ---

WHen I was a dealer/collector in NJ in the 1980's -- ( bought a ton of Joe Cunningham carfds in case I ever wanted to open a store in my home town.

Love to hear mose stories such as this and would love to talk to the OP -- and Tony became the Pirates trainer for many years.

Rich

Who is this 1964 Curt Flood chasing guy...we talking Topps? Theres 5 or 6 of them on ebay right now and several on no reserve auction including a psa 8....

I assuming he no longer chasing them....the cycle repeats..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...-baseball-card

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
yeah I know that..but wondering if he is still active ..as there are many on ebay..psa 8s in the 260 range with make an offer as well....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM

The Tim Wallach site is really interesting and he is up over 15,000 cards already. I think he could continue collecting them all for years and not affect the market.

It also made me wonder how many Wallach cards Tim Carroll has cut up for his art. I'm sure 99% of people are all for thinning out the 1980-90's card population, while making art out of them, but the Wallach collector would likely shed a tear or two thinking about cut up cards

http://timwallach.blogspot.com/

As for the original poster, I know from personal experience that it's best not to talk about a player collection for a tough card, it only drives up the price. I think he would be better off just waiting them out instead of offering big money at this point. It's definitely costing him more than it should. If he's not in a rush, enjoy the hunt.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
The Tim Wallach site is really interesting and he is up over 15,000 cards already. I think he could continue collecting them all for years and not affect the market.

It also made me wonder how many Wallach cards Tim Carroll has cut up for his art. I'm sure 99% of people are all for thinning out the 1980-90's card population, while making art out of them, but the Wallach collector would likely shed a tear or two thinking about cut up cards

As for the original poster, I know from personal experience that it's best not to talk about a player collection for a tough card, it only drives up the price. I think he would be better off just waiting them out instead of offering big money at this point. It's definitely costing him more than it should. If he's not in a rush, enjoy the hunt.
All he has to do is refuse to buy from someone that paid a premium for that card which would then cost that person money.....if someone pays 1500 for the next psa 8 and he turns them down..then that's easily a 600-900 loss...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-23-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Who is this 1964 Curt Flood chasing guy...we talking Topps? Theres 5 or 6 of them on ebay right now and several on no reserve auction including a psa 8....

I assuming he no longer chasing them....the cycle repeats..
As mentioned in the article, he is still chasing them....in my dealings with him, he has been a shrewd negotiator and cites both the "Flooded" market for this card (90+ ebay listings) and the fact that he is responsible for creating it. Within the past year I refused to accept his (low) offer price and subsequently sold to another buyer at a higher price. In other words, at this point he appears to be in the market for only the more reasonably priced copies of this card and is now a victim of his own creation. Copies of this card, that based on their condition (low to midgrade) used to sell for $20+ in past years, sit today as unsold BINs for half the price.

The collector chasing the 61 Topps 242 Hal Smith card is still very active in regards to collecting every reasonable priced copy of this card. I would not be surprised if he has more copies of this card than the Flood collector has of his card.

If I were a collector of just a single copy of a card, I would patiently wait and buy as the cards appear versus publicizing my quest thus driving the price up.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
As mentioned in the article, he is still chasing them....in my dealings with him, he has been a shrewd negotiator and cites both the "Flooded" market for this card (90+ ebay listings) and the fact that he is responsible for creating it. Within the past year I refused to accept his (low) offer price and subsequently sold to another buyer at a higher price. In other words, at this point he appears to be in the market for only the more reasonably priced copies of this card and is now a victim of his own creation. Copies of this card, that based on their condition (low to midgrade) used to sell for $20+ in past years, sit today as unsold BINs for half the price.

The collector chasing the 61 Topps 242 Hal Smith card is still very active in regards to collecting every reasonable priced copy of this card. I would not be surprised if he has more copies of this card than the Flood collector has of his card.

If I were a collector of just a single copy of a card, I would patiently wait and buy as the cards appear versus publicizing my quest thus driving the price up.

right a guy chasing a card without paying a premium is a non-issue to deal with.. that was my point...
Old 10-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post

I probably cut a few when I first started, but I have been placing the Wallachs aside for the Wallach guy for the last 4-5 years. I'm probably up to about 200-250 cards in the stack, and I'll send them out once feel like I have run across all I have. I like reading about off-beaten projects like this, regardless of how impossible they are.

I'm actually surprised there are not more collectors like the OP going after as many copies of a single card of a family member, etc. With so many players making the majors and only having 1-2 cards, I would think family hoarders would be more prevalent. I know there were a couple of guys in the early 2000's going after every 2002 Prince Fielder UD Prospect Premieres Autographs, and there was one collector trying to land every copy of a specific Mark Teixeira serial numbered rookie. I believe that guy had over 100 of the 750 copies printed, and that was over a decade ago. I wonder if he kept going, and if so...what % of the population does he now own?

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Don

Interesting thread, for sure.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Life would really get crazy if multiple collectors with deep pockets chose the same card! Maybe nephews of both HOFers go after the 1982 Fleer "Steve and Carlton, Carlton and Fisk" or John Hilton and Ron Cey both tried to gobble up their 1973 Topps issue.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt View Post
I probably cut a few when I first started, but I have been placing the Wallachs aside for the Wallach guy for the last 4-5 years. I'm probably up to about 200-250 cards in the stack, and I'll send them out once feel like I have run across all I have. I like reading about off-beaten projects like this, regardless of how impossible they are.

I'm actually surprised there are not more collectors like the OP going after as many copies of a single card of a family member, etc. With so many players making the majors and only having 1-2 cards, I would think family hoarders would be more prevalent. I know there were a couple of guys in the early 2000's going after every 2002 Prince Fielder UD Prospect Premieres Autographs, and there was one collector trying to land every copy of a specific Mark Teixeira serial numbered rookie. I believe that guy had over 100 of the 750 copies printed, and that was over a decade ago. I wonder if he kept going, and if so...what % of the population does he now own?

Tim

TIm:

On Mark Teixeira: I believe there are 2 super collectors (one of which I know in the DFW area and I see him about 3-4 times a year) and their dedication is fascinating.

Way back in the day -- there was a collector who chased after a strang specific serial # for each card (and this wsa the days of 10K runs); today it would be far different
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Default 1933 Goudey Tommy Thevenow hoarder

I do not know if he is still active or not but there used to be a guy in Madison, Indiana who bought every 1933 Goudey card of Tommy Thevenow. Thevenow was a relative and the guy was, like some others who are hoarding cards, buying them to give to other relatives.

David
Old 10-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarscholar View Post
Publishing this thread has allowed me to obtain 2 PSA 6's this month from private messages on this forum.
This has a somewhat familiar ring to it. Did you happen to know Bruce Dorskind?

Good luck with your quest, and Happy Collecting.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

After a little investigating it seems our OP has registered on our forum with a bogus last name and is now suspended per the rules. If anyone is interested they might google a bit on Cole Bart.iromo .without the period.....Thanks to a member for the PM and helping to keep our community safe....Had this guy wanted to do the right things now he wouldn't have registered with a bogus last name.

or you can cut to the chase with this link to some of the older stuff, there is some newer stuff too.....and Jake, it is the person who started this thread..

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/cole-bartiromo

Last edited by Leon; 10-23-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
After a little investigating it seems our OP has registered on our forum with a bogus last name and is now suspended per the rules. If anyone is interested they might google a bit on Cole Bart.iromo .without the period.....Thanks to a member for the PM and helping to keep our community safe....Had this guy wanted to do the right things now he wouldn't have registered with a bogus last name.

man all this talk ...I wonder if he was truthful on other things

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-23-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 PM

And here I was thinking I was being cynical about all of this.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
and a whole blog....with newer stuff..

http://scammedfromcolebartiromo.blogspot.com/
Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
right I kept posting things challenging him on things...didn't believe it.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-279710--.html

Interesting history, but perhaps he has rehabilitated.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-279710--.html

Interesting history, but perhaps he has rehabilitated.
I looked at that and then looked at his registration which is false...AND maybe I could undestand that but what about the blog I posted a link to, that seems to be a lot of newer things? Now if all of this was over and all debts were paid then so be it. But I don't have time to spend the next 3 days reading about this person or chasing down real names.

Last edited by Leon; 10-23-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
I looked at that and then looked at his registration which is false...AND maybe I could undestand that but what about the blog I posted a link to, that seems to be a lot of newer things? Now if all of this was over and all debts were paid then so be it. But I don't have time to spend the next 3 days reading about this person or chasing down real names.
+1 Leon, a waste of your time. Plus, unless we've re-defined pre-war as before Vietnam, he's in the wrong place...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
+1 Leon, a waste of your time. Plus, unless we've re-defined pre-war as before Vietnam, he's in the wrong place...
It was an interesting thread and I try to help keep the place interesting.....but I didn't expect that turn of events.

Last edited by Leon; 10-23-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

He was better off buried on the BST.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Don

I'm confused now. Was he ripping people off buying these cards or was all this card buying legit and he was banned only because of the name issue?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:

or you can cut to the chase with this link to some of the older stuff, there is some newer stuff too.....and Jake, it is the person who started this thread..

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/cole-bartiromo

I bet his ears don't match either.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I'm confused now. Was he ripping people off buying these cards or was all this card buying legit and he was banned only because of the name issue?
The name issue is actually technical. But the blog about him is very recent. Do we really want scammers on the board? I am not sure I have ever seen more crap on one person. I am all about 2nd chances but if anyone clicks on those 2 links I posted, and reads them....and thinks him registering with a fake name is good.....please help me understand that line of reasoning? Like I said abve, had he registered with a good name, maybe. Plus the half dozen or so extremely threatening emails I just got from him kind of solidify it .
Old 10-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Danny Smith

Nothing surprises me on this board anymore. Amazing.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Rich Klein

Leon:

And I thought running a show was difficult

See you tomorrow --

And man, you've had a fun week
Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
Nothing surprises me on this board anymore. Amazing.
That was my same thought. The guy was celebrating being a hoarder, like that knucklehead who tries to hoard T212 Millers (link: this jerk). If you announce on a hobby forum that your singular goal is to thwart other collectors, find another forum.

Everything this guy wrote screamed "scammer". Then, not surprisingly, he turned out to be a scammer.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 10-23-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: found old thread
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Don

Quote:
The name issue is actually technical. But the blog about him is very recent. Do we really want scammers on the board? I am not sure I have ever seen more crap on one person. I am all about 2nd chances but if anyone clicks on those 2 links I posted, and reads them....and thinks him registering with a fake name is good.....please help me understand that line of reasoning? Like I said abve, had he registered with a good name, maybe. Plus the half dozen or so extremely threatening emails I just got from him kind of solidify it .

I wasn't criticizing the decision to ban him. I was just confused as to why. I thought maybe he was ripping people off somehow with the card hoarding scheme.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
That was my same thought. The guy was celebrating being a hoarder, like that knucklehead who tries to hoard T212 Millers (link? sorry, the search isn't good). If you announce on a hobby forum that your singular goal is to thwart other collectors, find another forum.

Everything this guy wrote screamed "scammer". Then, not surprisingly, he turned out to be a scammer.

Bill
If you are referring to the, "Dots Miller" collector here on Net54, I seriously doubt the good doctor is doing anything nefarious.

If I am mistaken, please forgive an aging man who is getting closer to retirement...and his failing memory.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Dave

What a strange trip it's been.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Here is a quote from a relatively recent article--

《The topic of Donald Sterling lights Bartiromo up. “How do we know Sterling wasn’t attacked and raped by black men years ago?” he asks, triumphantly raising his eyebrows and offering his pointer finger.》

The bulk of the article details his obsession with outing underaged perpetrators and victims of sex crimes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-it-news.html

Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Not that anyone cares at this point but he falsely cites CNBC's Maria Bartiromo as a relative. And here he asserts Tony Bartirome, even though the names aren't the same.

He claimed Tony changed his name to give announcers an easier job. Not only is that a pretty bizarre tale but it doesn't seem to check out anywhere but in the OP.

This feels like a scam in action and perhaps should be reported as such. I wonder if the N54 guys he bought from will ever see their money.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Brian clif.ford

What a bizarre and interesting thread. Good job investigating. Whatever he was up to couldn't have been good.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
If you are referring to the, "Dots Miller" collector here on Net54, I seriously doubt the good doctor is doing anything nefarious.

If I am mistaken, please forgive an aging man who is getting closer to retirement...and his failing memory.
No, I can vouch for that doctor, too. He just likes giant mitts . I mean the guy who wants to buy every T212 (Obak) Miller (link). For all I know, he's still making set collectors pay for that card because he runs them up. He's a jerk and I'm positive that is a fact, not just my opinion.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 10-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Man, I was all involved in reading through (and enjoying) this thread and suddenly BAM!!!!!!!!!! a huge plot twist out of nowhere like a Hollywood movie. Yowza. So, Bruce Willis was dead the entire time??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Al Richter

Default 332

Good thing he wasn't into Reiser gray backs...or maybe he was and that's why it never shows up
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Dan Bretta

What a strange, strange thread. I'm sure an armchair psychiatrist could have a field day here reading not just this thread, but the articles linked and Cole's own Newsball blog.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
right I kept posting things challenging him on things...didn't believe it.

... has become the voice of reason!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Jeff C.

Ok, Leon, thanks for protecting everyone here. Huge job you have and everyone is grateful that you have our best interests in mind.

Now, here's the part I need some help with. Undoubtedly there is a scam hidden in his hoarding. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Can someone give up some possible scenarios?

(OP failing to post an updated pic after stating multiple times that he would was starting to send up red flags)

Thanks. Jeff
Old 10-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Tom Boblitt

The dude is looking for a roommate to share an $1800 apartment yet buying $1500 PSA 1952 commons......really odd stuff. Thanks for the sleuthing. I just engaged him in some discussion and didn't think he was a nut but the plot thickened.......
Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetwins View Post
Ok, Leon, thanks for protecting everyone here. Huge job you have and everyone is grateful that you have our best interests in mind.

Now, here's the part I need some help with. Undoubtedly there is a scam hidden in his hoarding. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. Can someone give up some possible scenarios?

(OP failing to post an updated pic after stating multiple times that he would was starting to send up red flags)

Thanks. Jeff
I'm wondering the same. Idiot comes here, declares he's hoarding a card....to what end? In all these scenarios HE is the one sending out money.....
Old 10-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I'm wondering the same. Idiot comes here, declares he's hoarding a card....to what end? In all these scenarios HE is the one sending out money.....
Anyone that is sane can't get inside this guy's head. He sent one hail mary threatening email and then in the same email asked me to do him a favor and post a 5 paragraph post that he was doing when he got axed. The guy is definitely, and I mean definitely, unbalanced. I see him being back in prison in no time if he continues the way he is. Very, very unstable. (and I am not just saying this for effect)