NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: Need advice, how long is too long...

Hey Everyone,

So, I bought some high grade autographs a few years ago and this past summer. They were unauthenticated as I trusted the word of the seller. Fast forward to this past weekend and JSA was at a show here locally in MN so I decided to not hold of getting a ton of things authenticated in person finally because I am always weary of shipping thousands of items. 3 of the autographs in question had failed (2 from 2 years ago and 1 from this past summer).

Clearly, I would love to get a refund. My question to the board is, how long is too long? Did I miss my refund window and am SOL?

Thanks for all your help,

Brent
Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

You are most likely SOL, but you can always give it a shot if it is a reputable dealer. I have returned two items for partial refunds that I did not try to authenticate until 1-2 years after I purchased them. One of them was actually a consignment shop, so he would completely be losing money if I did the return. However, both times, I was able to get a partial refund. I did not request a full refund because I did not think it was fair to the seller either, so both times, we were able to come up with a reasonable refund that we were both okay with. However, if the seller says tough luck, there is really nothing you can do because you are past the credit card and paypal seller protections which are usually around a year.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
You are most likely SOL, but you can always give it a shot if it is a reputable dealer. I have returned two items for partial refunds that I did not try to authenticate until 1-2 years after I purchased them. One of them was actually a consignment shop, so he would completely be losing money if I did the return. However, both times, I was able to get a partial refund. I did not request a full refund because I did not think it was fair to the seller either, so both times, we were able to come up with a reasonable refund that we were both okay with. However, if the seller says tough luck, there is really nothing you can do because you are past the credit card and paypal seller protections which are usually around a year.
I thought the seller was reputable and I called a good hobby friend. The seller has not replied to any of my emails in the past 3-4 days unfortunately.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Was it an auction house or an individual? If its an auction house I would think they'd want to work with you so as to keep you from outing them. If it's a seller who does a lot of sales you might want to approach it the same way. They could either make things right or you could give the board a heads up and let people decide if they want to do business with them.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Was it an auction house or an individual? If its an auction house I would think they'd want to work with you so as to keep you from outing them. If it's a seller who does a lot of sales you might want to approach it the same way. They could either make things right or you could give the board a heads up and let people decide if they want to do business with them.

An individual.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Get a different opinion!

In the late 1980's - early 90's Muhammad Ali signed 3 or 4 times at the Atlanta show. These were big shows back then. I saw him sign 2 posters with my own eyes. The posters never left my possession. Seven or eight years later when the authenticating craze hit, I had the posters authenticated. Both failed in their opinion! Recall something about in their opinion the slant and pressure wasn't right and something about matching their exemplars.
I'd get a different opinion. Sam Majors
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Not really the same situation though. He didn't see these items signed and its possible that they could be bad.

Last edited by packs; 03-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam majors View Post
In the late 1980's - early 90's Muhammad Ali signed 3 or 4 times at the Atlanta show. These were big shows back then. I saw him sign 2 posters with my own eyes. The posters never left my possession. Seven or eight years later when the authenticating craze hit, I had the posters authenticated. Both failed in their opinion! Recall something about in their opinion the slant and pressure wasn't right and something about matching their exemplars.

I'd get a different opinion. Sam Majors

These couldn't be witnessed by the seller and I have gotten other opinions as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
...and its possible that they could be bad.
And it's possible they could be good, and the authenticator doesn't know sh*t from jam, or which one to spread on his toast.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM

There are only possibilities when you're looking for an opinion.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Brendan Mullen

I saw Michael Jordan sign a jersey in front of my own eyes. Failed PSA. It happens....
Old 03-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Bry@n

Gross - who puts jam on toast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
And it's possible they could be good, and the authenticator doesn't know sh*t from jam, or which one to spread on his toast.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Still no response from the seller. Almost been a week....
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Have an issue as well with auction house sale

Claims "some could have beem secretarial"

However 6 of the listed "big cards" failed

Will update

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Still no response from the seller. Almost been a week....
Then you probably have your answer from the seller.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: Need advice, how long is too long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Then you probably have your answer from the seller.

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. Now, do I out the seller and open a big can of worms...I would hate for others to go through this and I know someone else is

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 03-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.