NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default Stereoscopic baseball cards

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Does anyone collect the baseball cards made for viewing with a stereoscope. Or for post war: ViewMaster and similar cards?

Old 12-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I've never seen a baseball sereoscope, but have bought a number of of them featuring Native Ameircans. I'd love to have a baseball stereoscope. The closest thing I've seen to one would be an old eye doctor's exam kit that a lot of various pics for testing your eyesight and one of the pics was Babe Ruth.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Jay, Id give you the link, but Im not sure how to do that. If you search thru google for baseball stereos you will find several by Lynn Skeels. I think they are great.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: effe

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1026071819
Maybe he'll repost the image

Old 12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Hi guys,

I don't have too many but here are a few form my collection for your perusal. The last few images are not my own but ones I have come across in the past.

Image 1 1870's Stereoview Tilton NH Baseball Game
Image 2 1870's Baseball 1st Division Refuge Club of Rochester NY
Image 5 Late 1860's Unidentified BBC Stereoview
Image 3 1870c Stereoview East Hampton Mass
Image 4 Late 1860's Unidentified BBC Stereoview

Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I played High School baseball against Tilton in the late 50's and 1960. The field was and still is in a different place, but those buildings are are still there, surrounded by what have become huge trees.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Baseball stereoviews are collectable though not nearly as as expensive as cabinet cards or CDVs. The ones Jason posted are some fine early examples. Baseball stereoviews can be found from the 1860s and were made into the 1900s. There are examples showing Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig ... Though the collector would have to learn how to judge the date (just like with tintypes), stereoviews are rarely faked like baseball cards-- which, of course, is nice for the potential collector.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Old 12-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Hey Pete, that's interesting! Have you any modern images of the buildings? I have included a close up of the game at Tilton for you below.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and some stereo photos--but they were BORING. Still, it was a gas seeing everything in 3-D.

Also, young'uns. travelling to Selma, Alabama for Christmas in 1940, I rode on a coach car (we had to change cars to sleep), that was lit with GAS LIGHTS. My dad told me to remember it, so I could tell my grandchildren about it.

Really thieving today, aren't I? Thanks to J Kling, and collector.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

1867-1869
Old Point BBC
Fort Monroe, VA

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Have others, if you would like to see scans, just email me to the above address.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I watched the 1940s movie 'Portrait of Dorian Gray' and one of the guys in there was sitting on a was looking at stereoviews through the viewer. At the time, most people would could only dream of visiting Niagra Falls or the Tower of London, or meeting the Queen or President, so being able to them in 3-d at home was a thrill. Stereoviews was a form of home entertainment.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, a stereoew has two photos (as you can see from above) mounted on a piece of cardbaord. The photos were photographed with the same camera, but each photo is at a slightly different angle. When viewed through a special handheld viewer, the image appears in 3-D. You can find the antique viewers at antique stores and on eBay.

Lastly, you will see several different names for the photos-- stereoviews, stereograph, stereoscopic. They are all names for the same thing. I say stereoview, but that's nothing more than personal habit.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Happy Holidays.....

I know IT'S NOT Baseball, but I'm sure Bobby Jones is allowed on the board............

Old 12-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Personally, I'd rather have the Jones stereoview than any of the baseball ones. Thanks for posting it.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tim mayer

this is the coolest thread in a while, love it,,,really cool,

and the Gehrig , wow...i want that one haha

Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

Here's another view of the House of Refuge game (albeit with too much glare on the top of the curved card). It was actually an early pirated card from the 1880s, where a publisher "stole" the image from a photographer's 1870's view card:

I was able to dig up some info on this image and the House of Refuge games, mainly thanks to Jimmy Leiderman:

This stereoview card was produced by Webster & Albee Publishers of Rochester, NY in the 1880s (as per card mount style, color and printing), reproducing an 1870s stereo view first issued by Bacon & Carnall. It is perhaps the earliest photographic image of blacks playing baseball.

This photograph, which was taken by famous Rochester photographer F.W. Bacon, depicts a game at the House of Refuge, an orphanage in Rochester, New York. c. 1874. The view is similar to other stereoviews attributed to Bacon, that depict a game between "Colored" and "White" youths at the same facility. Very rare close-up photos of this same baseball game were also issued in Carte-de-Visite form by the same photographer.

The game shown in this card above was a mixed game with both African American and Caucasian players seen on the field. Dark hats were used by the black team, while the jockey style caps were worn by the white boys. Interestingly, Charles R. Webster and Josephus Albee were a major publisher of pirated copies of views.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew Jackson

If anyone is interested I saw this one at Clean Sweep Auctions.

http://www.csauctions.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000219688

Old 12-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

David.
Thanks for explaining these. I didn't even have to ask.
Much appreciated!