NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM
Eric Perry

Default OT - guess I didn't really win that Probstein auction

I won an eBay auction held by Probstein 6 days ago. The item hadn't yet shipped, so I sent a message this morning, asking for tracking. Their reply:

"First off, thank you for the bids and interest in our auctions. We regret to inform you that due to an ebay glitch this item was double listed and
we no longer have anymore in stock. Please open an ebay dispute and we will process you a full refund.
Thank you."

I found a previous listing from roughly two months ago, when the exact card (cert # and all) sold for around 40% more than my winning bid.

My question is this:

What would you do in this situation? So many options on my mind at the moment. Trying to think things through before acting.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM
Chris

I’d open a case with eBay and then thank them for letting you know. Mistakes happen and, even if they aren’t being transparent here (I have no way of saying one way or another), there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:16 PM

I'd leave a negative. The auction ran it's course and the seller is now unable to fulfill their obligation. If this was a buy it now or some ancient listing that was auto-renewed that would be different. Sellers are responsible for all their auctions, no matter how many there are.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'd leave a negative. The auction ran it's course and the seller is now unable to fulfill their obligation. If this was a buy it now or some ancient listing that was auto-renewed that would be different. Sellers are responsible for all their auctions, no matter how many there are.
+1
Old 07-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Bill Cauley

I haven't looked into the double listed ordeal that I've heard about here and there, but assuming it happened would both listings have the same listing ID number or different ones?

I'd probably just take the refund and leave it alone but I'd also ask them for the other listing ID number.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:34 PM

I don't think you'd get a double item number because that would be a redundancy. I'm sure it was two different numbers. It's entirely possible it was a simple mistake but the auction ran its course and you are owed something for the inconvenience. If you told the seller your bid was a mistake I'm sure they'd do what they could to enforce the payment anyway, or at least leave you negative feedback.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:39 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Never mind, read the whole post.

Last edited by Jim65; 07-13-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:47 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Due to an ebay glitch, eh? Sounds sketchy. Assuming it was an "ebay glitch", the seller should have no problem providing you the item number for both listings, right?

As packs noted, I would imagine the auction ID is the unique identifier of the listing, though not seeing the code, this is only a guess (though an educated one).
Old 07-13-2021, 12:50 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I would recommend to move on. I have spent far too much of my time fighting such things and the results have been trivial at best.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:55 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I would just let it go. As the OP states, he found the exact card was listed and sold 2 months. Makes it much more understandable that it is just a mistake. Is it disappointing as a buyer, absolutely. Should the seller have caught it, absolutely. Is the OP hurt financially, don't think so. Is this going to really make difference in OP's life, don't think so. Mistakes happen. Just move on. Not everything has to become a big deal and you don't need to be compensated every time someone messes up.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Eric Perry

Requesting refund, leaving a neg, moving on. Life is too short.

I thought about posting pics of the card; however, ultimately decided against it. The cert # would make it easily identifiable. There's a chance this wasn't the seller (or consignor) changing their mind after seeing the hammer price. I'd hate like hell if it really was a "glitch" and my post threw shade on the person who's currently holding the card.

Still...it sucks to win an auction, get a great deal, and have someone force a mulligan.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I would just let it go. As the OP states, he found the exact card was listed and sold 2 months. Makes it much more understandable that it is just a mistake. Is it disappointing as a buyer, absolutely. Should the seller have caught it, absolutely. Is the OP hurt financially, don't think so. Is this going to really make difference in OP's life, don't think so. Mistakes happen. Just move on. Not everything has to become a big deal and you don't need to be compensated every time someone messes up.
Even if a mistake (or not) by the party listing the auction on Ebay, I wouldn't leave negative feedback, especially if you hope to continue bidding on that party's auctions in the future. It is possible they could ban you from their auctions going forward then.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:24 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Tough one

I haven't had any dealings personally with Rick, but know I have read quite a few threads with accusations here on Net 54.

I would likely take the refund (after which I do not think you will be able to leave negative feedback) and keep the card/cert on your radar.

Possibly just an "Ebay glitch" - though one I haven't heard of before - Ebay automatically relisted a card that had sold already? Really?

Possibly - someone looking to flip the card and unhappy with the 40% loss?

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Rick McQuillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

Possibly just an "Ebay glitch" - though one I haven't heard of before - Ebay automatically relisted a card that had sold already? Really?
Yes, really. A few months ago there was a thread on Blowout that discussed this very problem. It started happening when eBay went to the automatic monthly relisting. At the time, I started receiving BIN's for several items that had already sold. I went through my entire inventory, item by item, which was around 1500 items at the time and I found 24 that had sold in the past couple of months and then eBay had relisted them. It still happens once in a while, but at this time, I am not going through all 3100 of my listings to verify that they are all correct.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
There's a chance this wasn't the seller (or consignor) changing their mind after seeing the hammer price.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 07-13-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Yes, really. A few months ago there was a thread on Blowout that discussed this very problem. It started happening when eBay went to the automatic monthly relisting. At the time, I started receiving BIN's for several items that had already sold. I went through my entire inventory, item by item, which was around 1500 items at the time and I found 24 that had sold in the past couple of months and then eBay had relisted them. It still happens once in a while, but at this time, I am not going through all 3100 of my listings to verify that they are all correct.

Rick
I’ve had the same happen a few times. This sounds like an auction, where it happened to us on BIN listings…but could be the same glitch or just a mistake. If you list thousands of items, a mistake or two is bound to happen.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:20 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I'd open the dispute, take the refund and move on. Maybe it was an innocent mistake, maybe it wasn't, but I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done. It's disappointing, but at the end of the day, you won't be out any money and unless it was a very rare card it will come around again.