NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: MVSNYC

with all of the craziness that has been going on in the last 7 days on this board, it is difficult to weed-thru and find a post related to "vintage baseball cards"...

as fascinating a subject as it is, is there any way of consolidating the dozens of seperate threads concerning "politics of the hobby"?

maybe it even becomes a seperate forum page under N54? just a thought...

Regards,
Michael Sarno
NYC

Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: JimCrandell

Just dig a little deeper Michael--they are still there.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Josh Adams

Michael,
Good idea. I second that. Any of the substantive threads are buried beneath the other "investigative" threads.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: John S

This has gone way overboard. The concerns are legitimate, but the word "hobby" definitely does not apply to the board atmosphere as of late. I would like to the return of a more relaxed friendly environment in which people are allowed to express their opinions and concerns without being criticized...and more importantly talk baseball cards and deadball history.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Josh Adams

John, my feelings exactly.
We can only hope that Crandall grows tired, and turns his attention to trying to get a dinner set for Net54ers living in NYC.

We all need to take a deep breath, relax, and lay off the carbonated beverages.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: leon

I think this needs to run it's course for a few more days.....if anyone doesn't want to read it (and I don't blame them) then they might want to come back about next Monday. As a collector I absolutely agree. As the moderator my hands are tied a little bit. I hope ya'll understand my screwed up position...Do ya'll think I like this? ...regards

Old 11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: fkw

As long as they title it right, its easy to skip over the garbage and find the good posts.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Jeff Drum

If the message and strings are properly noted, one has to choose to read them. All you have to do is practice a little self restraint. Sorta like wading through the reprints and "attic finds" on ebay. I say let it run its course. Different things are important to different people. One thing I can say for sure being a regular reader and occasional poster is, there is no consensus.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: JimCrandell

Leon,

We know you are reveling in this.

I will say it again, if the majority wants this to stop fine.

This is all part of a process--the vast majority until today have been supportive.

To me--this is the best stuff I have ever seen on Net 54 but that is just my opinion.

Jim

Old 11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Jeff Drum

No, that would be WonkaTicket's graphic renderings!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: jP

Simply put! i agree with both Michael and John. Lets get back to how it used to be, maybe sub forums is the best bet. I like to come on here and read about the Hobby related topics.

happy collecting!

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 11-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Leon,

No criticisms for you...I believe the majority will eventually rule. Most of us just don't care about these gripes. I feel as if a few individuals are hovering over all the threads attempting to defame any information that is counter to their "cause". I am going to start a silly meaningless thread about belt buckles.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

This might help you to keep this board under control. How about if we all agree to let you decide which threads are O/T, that way board members can simply bypass that topic if their not interested.

Peter

Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

"I feel as if a few individuals are hovering over all the threads attempting to defame any information that is counter to their "cause"."

If only I knew what this meant.

Jim is attempting to discern if any of the large auction houses are involved in either altering cards or selling cards that they know to be altered. Why is this a bad cause? And why would someone who spends lots of money on auctions want to hurt auction houses? And how can someone "defame" "information?"

Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: ScottIngold

Ditto to what Jeff said.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: peter chao

Leon,

How about having a separate forum for investment in pre-war vintage cards. Then we wouldn't be stepping all over each other's toes. Laugh out loud.

Peter

Old 11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Dave

I'm gonna go ahead and assume at this point that being the board moderator is the equivalent to being married...putting up with all the bickering, and going without the sex....

Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Jeff,

My apologies for the grammar error. My post was not hostile. Jim's cause is valid but has been exhausted in this forum. I have stated this in other threads. What has become extremely tiresome are the defensive personal attacks levied by many on both sides of this issue (and if someone could tell what exactly the issue is it would be appreciated, because it has to be more than baseball cards to warrant some of the negative comments that I have been reading). If anyone feels the need to personally insult an individual that is posting their opinion they need to examine their motives. Probably repeating the phrase "They are only baseball cards" or "I come here to relax and blow off some steam" five times before typing would be an excellent idea.

Again, I respect the opinions and concerns of all that post unless they are prefaced with insults and defensive behavior. Jim has been very gracious as he has come under strong criticism as of late. I don't agree with his angle but that does not mean that I am correct and he is wrong.

Back to the cards.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I know a lot of people are fed up with the past weeks threads but I think that they are good. As Leon says, they'll run their course and then we'll get back to normal, you know - things like vintage cards and slamming PSA always make good threads!

Perhaps we could set up a coordinated effort and have a forum dedicated to asking specific questions to the grading services and auction houses. Maybe they (auction house and grading company reps) wont be so reluctant to answer questions if this was a scheduled event that doesn't happen every week or everytime one of us gets a wild hair...

Old 11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

John, I agree with what you said. But I'm honestly at a loss to understand what you meant when you wrote that "individuals are hovering over all the threads attempting to defame any information that is counter to their "cause"." I'm not being hostile either but I just seem to be missing a purported conspiracy here. What is the cause that is being protected?

Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: t206King

This is rediculous. ppl have to get off the pc and start doing things. if some topics are off, so be it. i dont no anyone who can talk about cards 24/7, i just dont.....

Running to Leon wont make it better. Just puts more stress on him to figure it all out. if some topics are off for a week, whats wrong with that?

Leon, when is the monthy prize thing? since the ads have been up for a while????

Old 11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: anthony

hey guys! do you realize you are contributing to a post that is exactly like the one you dont want to see????

when in doubt, keep it!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: MVSNYC

...just to clarify a few things...

Leon- first of all, i think you do a super job...

secondly- i collect high grade PSA T206 cards, so i have a huge interest in what has been discussed here over the last week, and think the threads and efforts have a lot of merit...(which, by the way have been shocking, yet informative, and i have learned so much from these posts, the results and responses have been a real eye-opener)...

the point of this post was to just give a sincere idea to Leon about having a seperate forum page just for hi-energy, emotional threads like these, and maybe consolidate them, there are dozens in all honesty...

MVS
NYC

Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Leon- Help?!

Posted By: Chuck

All of the current controversy aside, sub-forums would be a good way to organize the board.

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered before as I have been trying to avoid the controversy. In fact, I didn't even read all of this thread!!