NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Default MastroNet/GAI Provenance

I know this question is very subjective, but I’m curious about how the experts and serious collectors here feel about game-used items that have provenance which include MastroNet Auctions and GAI Certification, circa 1999-2005. As a buyer I’ve seen some items show up in local shops via consignment which look like the real deal to me, based on secondary research I've done. Is the general consensus from all of you that mostly everything with that history should be avoided at all costs? Or have some folks had satisfactory experiences with game-used purchases there during that time frame?

I’m not sure if this post violates any Forum rule, and if it does, please feel free to remove.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 AM

Welcome to net54!
I believe that the safest way to answer your question is to look carefully at the item itself to determine the likelihood that it is, in fact, genuine.

Since the item that you are asking about is not on eBay or in a major auction, why don't you take some photos and post them here and some of the board members can weigh in with their thoughts?

I hope this helps
Old 01-07-2015, 02:16 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The items are probably fine. Those were the premier companies of the day.

You can't make sweeping generalizations like that. Agree that you should post the individual item(s) in question.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Excellent points above. I have a couple MastroNet bats in my collection, they were signed by Dave Bushing. Nobody better.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:21 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Comes down to who signed or endorsed the document and the time period. GAI was considered reputable in its early years (including for autographs) and Bushing authenticated for Mastro then GAI then SCDAuthentic then MEARS. A GAI or Mastro LOA signed by Bushing would be good provenance.

The idea that everything Mastro Auctions sold if fake is silly-- and wrong. With GAI LOAs, it comes down to who signed or endorsed it-- including with autographs. An early 2000s GAI or Mastro autograph LOA signed by Mike Gutierrez would be good provenance. Obviously, GAI's reputation in all areas has fallen precipitously over the years, and over the years they employed a turnstyle of examiners (some reputable, many not so reputable)-- but looking at who signed an LOA answers what is the document's value.

For the record, I don't own anything with Mastro or GAI LOAs or provenance. No need to worry about my post being about protecting my investments.

Last edited by drcy; 01-07-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM

This is all very helpful, in many ways. I think part of the education process in this hobby, especially for new collectors, is finding a resource such as this where people have incredible knowledge to share. But, a forum history search here with vendors/auction houses etc. in the title will bring a mosaic of responses, many of them negative and based on bad buying experiences or general trust issues. While certainly justifiable, it can be a challenge to find a consensus on something, which is what I was looking to accomplish. Didn't think about impacting the value of people's collection and wasn't my intention. Sorry for that.

Your points on the focusing on the actual authenticator and their reputation is well taken. I would imagine a simple forum search on most professional authenticators here will give me what I need on anything I have a question about going forward. Thanks for that.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM
J@son.K

Many recently signed balls that are accompanied by GAI certs, such as Kershaw, Koufax, Trout, etc....seem to be very suspect.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Many recently signed balls that are accompanied by GAI certs, such as Kershaw, Koufax, Trout, etc....seem to be very suspect.
yeah, that would be the new GAI after Priddy took over. His story would make a great comedy if it wasn't costing people so much money.