NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2024, 08:52 AM
Matt

Precisely, TJ. Given how scans can not always tell the full picture (in either direction— either overstating or understating a card's flaws), if one is really very interested in a card at auction it can only be helpful to be a proactive buyer and inquire, ask for more images, etc.

We'd all love to collect/buy cards in some ideal reality where every AH takes a beat to make sure each and every lot description and image accurately presents the card as it is in hand— but it is doubtful that will ever be the standard or reality. Wanting AH's to operate in that ideal fashion makes all the sense in the world yet expecting it can lead to frustration and disappointment. So one way to try and mitigate those headaches is to be proactive.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:37 AM
W
W@de Wo.lter

Watch for this card again after Kurt's Card Care gets his hands on it.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:40 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If the AH doesn't do right to Travis due to their blatant misrepresentation, then they truly need to get blasted by those who condemn such an obvious injustice. Whoever did the description and omitted the obvious creases should get the sack.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:44 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
If the AH doesn't do right to Travis due to their blatant misrepresentation, then they truly need to get blasted by those who condemn such an obvious injustice. Whoever did the description and omitted the obvious creases should get the sack.

You might’ve missed a post or two. They refunded him and relisted the card with an accurate description and then posted representative photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-13-2024, 12:50 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
You might’ve missed a post or two. They refunded him and relisted the card with an accurate description and then posted representative photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, Daryl, I should have read all the posts more carefully. Glad ML came to their senses. John
Old 04-14-2024, 01:11 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie22 View Post
Watch for this card again after Kurt's Card Care gets his hands on it.
I definitely would have cracked it and cleaned it if I had kept it, but I don't press out creases, so I didn't want it after it showed up with those giant creases.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:51 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

There's been a new development in this saga with Memory Lane. In response to me posting this thread, they have revoked my bidding privileges. Clearly, they'd like to make a statement. If you criticize them publicly, they will punish you.

Thanks for showing your true colors Memory Lane. GFY.

Last edited by Snowman; 04-17-2024 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:32 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
There's been a new development in this saga with Memory Lane. In response to me posting this thread, they have revoked my bidding privileges. Clearly, they'd like to make a statement. If you criticize them publicly, they will punish you.

Travis,

Sorry to hear this is how Memory Lane decided to treat you after their obvious misrepresentation of the card in question.

Facts: Memory Lane lists a card in their auction that doesn't show the obvious multiple creases and wrinkles. Travis receives the card, sees the multiple creases and wrinkles, requests a refund, sends the card back, receives a refund without any communication or at least a minimum "regret any inconvenience." Memory Lane then relists the image of the same card again, is aware of this thread, adds a new image of the card showing the creases and wrinkles, then bans Travis from bidding because he shared his story.

Oh sure, Travis is the bad guy in this scenario. Shame on you Travis

My generation, we didn't have the internet or social media. This is what people do today, and I think it's a good thing. My generation, when situations like this occurred, the business always did right by the customer. Businesses cared about what people thought about their business. It was their reputation on the line.

Memory Lanes lack of professionalism and maturity is evident in this situation. Oh, and by the way, great job Memory Lane, you now have one less customer.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:36 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
In my own collecting experience, I've seen enough scans at various auctions of lower grade cards to know that a scan can more often than not fail to present the full picture. In reality, I would imagine an AH simply scans each lot and moves onto the next scan, rather than scanning a card and pausing to evaluate whether the scan adequately showcases all the card's flaws, and then re-scanning or adjusting settings to accomplish that. I'd therefore simply put some onus on myself as a shopper if I was interested in the item, and call or email the AH to ask for some more details or images.

So yes, it could be any range of creases or wrinkles and learning the precise degree of wear would matter a great deal; I'd choose direct communication with the AH about the lot as the best route to obtaining that information.
remember before the holders people would buy a card from a magazine or print material that just says 'NM' or 'G' Imagine all of the returns that would be made today stating the item does not fit the description..
Old 04-17-2024, 05:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:

so people will learn that not putting them on blast and waiting to see if get a refund back before all of that i guess is their lesson..

i still think if someone feels that didnt get an accurate card and it cost them a few k, and a refund was not first given, i dont think they would care if prevented from bidding again as long as they got their money back
Old 04-17-2024, 05:43 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This hobby is ruthless wow.....sorry Snow.

Guess what they will change their minds again or claim mistake...you'll be back allowed to bid. Trust me...
Old 04-17-2024, 05:53 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This hobby is ruthless wow.....sorry Snow.

Guess what they will change their minds again or claim mistake...you'll be back allowed to bid. Trust me...
If so, why would he ever bid w/ them again?

There's alot of other quality auction houses to deal with that will appreciate his business
Old 04-17-2024, 05:58 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This hobby is ruthless wow
Not everywhere. This is still a great hobby with many great people and businesses. But I do see that there are definitely generational differences of opinion in how things should be handled, that's for sure.

I was born in the United States of America. I now sometimes feel like I live in the United States of Excuses.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 04-17-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I definitely would have cracked it and cleaned it if I had kept it, but I don't press out creases, so I didn't want it after it showed up with those giant creases.

Centering isn't perfect, so would you disclose this cleaning when selling?

Asking for a friend.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Where is the chorus of people saying so and so is a standup guy, will do the right thing, etc.?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-17-2024 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:03 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Where is the chorus of people saying so and so is a standup guy, will do the right thing, etc.?
Steve, you so-and-so, you are a stand-up guy.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:41 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
That only happens when it is convenient for them.

I love this board, but I do know of several members that won't say things on a variety of subjects publicly due to fear of reprisal. And with what happened with Snow, who can blame them?

Last edited by parkplace33; 04-17-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:46 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
That only happens when it is convenient for them.

I love this board, but I do know of several members that won't say things on a variety of subjects publicly due to fear of reprisal. And with what happened with Snow, who can blame them?
If you’re right, you’re right. If you’re wrong, you’re wrong. I won’t lose any sleep if I’m shunned for speaking the truth. But I do understand what you're saying.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 04-17-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:

LOL, what did you expect to happen? I have been in the hobby for decades and this is usually how it works out.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:52 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Centering isn't perfect, so would you disclose this cleaning when selling?

Asking for a friend.
I wouldn't have sold it. But tell your friend "thank you" for asking.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:56 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I guess it's time for me to post the other card I purchased from Memory Lane, which was the far greater "sin" on their part. Stay tuned...
Old 04-17-2024, 11:13 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
I guess it's time for me to post the other card I purchased from Memory Lane, which was the far greater "sin" on their part. Stay tuned...
We are all ears
Old 04-17-2024, 11:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

If I had buyers remorse aka...I can't spoon out the wrinkles, i can only clean stain, and overpaid for a psa 1, hoping a quick bath would get it a shot at a psa 3, I certainly wouldn't blame the auction house. Since it isn't perfectly centered, I'd doubt you'd keep it. Great technicality on the unseen wrinkles though.
You grossly overpaid for a psa 1, which it clearly is and was.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Never understood sucking up to auction houses. Is it ego? Desperation? Grown men want the approval of others like boys in kindergarten class sucking up to the teacher? Is it to feel important? Like a big shot? Breaking news ….. they charge you the same buyers premium no matter how many times you kiss their ass on this board.

I’ve deal with a number of AHs where issues have arisen. And they have been professional about it. And they get my repeat business.

Here’s an example ….. Al from LOTG reached out to me probably a year after I bought a piece of memorabilia to tell me further research and info he received from others convinced him the piece I bought was counterfeit and he was sending me a refund. Did he have to do this? Money out of his pocket. Sure he didn’t ask the consignor to send his money back. That’s called integrity. I’ve had Scott Russell send me a check for something I consigned long ago and totally forgot about. That’s called doing the right thing. There are still good people in the business.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-19-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:19 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Never understood sucking up to auction houses. Is it ego? Desperation? Grown men want the approval of others like boys in kindergarten class sucking up to the teacher? Is it to feel important? Like a big shot? Breaking news ….. they charge you the same buyers premium no matter how many times you kiss their ass on this board.

I’ve deal with a number of AHs where issues have arisen. And they have been professional about it. And they get my repeat business.

Here’s an example ….. Al from LOTG reached out to me probably a year after I bought a piece of memorabilia to tell me further research and info he received from others convinced him the piece I bought was counterfeit and he was sending me a refund. Did he have to do this? Money out of his pocket. Sure he didn’t ask the consignor to send his money back. That’s called integrity. I’ve had Scott Garner send me a check for something I consigned long ago and totally forgot about. That’s called doing the right thing. There are still good people in the business.
Well said!
Old 04-17-2024, 07:55 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
If I had buyers remorse aka...I can't spoon out the wrinkles, i can only clean stain, and overpaid for a psa 1, hoping a quick bath would get it a shot at a psa 3, I certainly wouldn't blame the auction house. Since it isn't perfectly centered, I'd doubt you'd keep it. Great technicality on the unseen wrinkles though.

The AH misrepresented the card, both with their description and their pics. No professional auction house should do that.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Here’s an example ….. Al from LOTG reached out to me probably a year after I bought a piece of memorabilia to tell me further research and info he received from others convinced him the piece I bought was counterfeit and he was sending me a refund. Did he have to do this? Money out of his pocket. Sure he didn’t ask the consignor to send his money back. That’s called integrity. I’ve had Scott Garner send me a check for something I consigned long ago and totally forgot about. That’s called doing the right thing. There are still good people in the business.
That was a class act on Al’s part.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:32 PM
Fred

Do you the reason Love of the Game auctions is successful? In a word - Al. He understands the business and values his clientele. Do you know why Love of the Game doesn't get trashed on this board? In a word - Al.

I've never met him but I've spoken with him on the phone a few times and you can tell he really loves what he does and cares about the people that bid in his auctions. Tell you what, if I were to open an auction business, it'd be modeled after Love of the Game.

No, that is not sucking up to Al, because I'm sure he's not going to give me a discount on my BP the next time I win an auction lot from him. People say positive things about Al because that's just the way he makes people feel, like they want to let everyone know they can trust Love of the Game and appreciate a business that cares about it's customers.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:50 PM
Chase

Quote:
LOL

If I had won this card and once in hand saw the scan and description were that misleading it would concern me about anything else I might want. Not suggesting the house was trying to deceive anyone but if I cannot rely on their photos or descriptions, then what is the point of bidding with them again? Begs the question why he would even think to do more business with them.

And it is common courtesy to take your gripes to the company and give them a chance to resolve the issue before prematurely smearing them in a thread yet I see it done constantly here.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
And it is common courtesy to take your gripes to the company and give them a chance to resolve the issue before prematurely smearing them in a thread yet I see it done constantly here.
To what extent is it common courtesy to provide insights that might help the full board to be aware of potential similar issues?

I suppose we can debate whether the name of the AH needs to be identified, but certainly it’s been eye-opening to me to see the difference between the card as originally advertised and as delivered.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-17-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The truth should always be told. Whether it's disclosing the truth of a cards condition, how it has been altered/modified/cleansed/worked on or what an auction house did. It is not wrong to state the truth, regardless of who or what agenda that helps or hurts or smears.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:18 AM
Tony Baldwin

Fact: If the image of the card clearly showed the creases and wrinkles in the original auction, this thread wouldn't exist. The end!
Old 04-18-2024, 07:20 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This was like a 2K card with an obviously bad scan, not a major sale. I have no doubt ML would have refunded the money once they got the card and confirmed the error/bad scan, regardless of Travis bringing it up here, as the mistake was that clear.

You guys can't really think that ML is in the business of ripping people off for a thousand or two thousand bucks?

If anything, and I don't speak for ML -- they surely could have been pissed about this being outed before they were given the chance to rectify it. I don't blame Travis for doing so, it's a hobby issue and he's certainly allowed. But the negative backlash occurred before they had the chance to make things right and they're not the auction house known for misleading scans. They could be a bit pissed.

No auction house is perfect and shit can happen with so many lots. In this hobby, if an error is fixed painlessly, we should celebrate it.
I can believe that an auction house has an unwritten rule that the scans for all cards will tend to show the cards in the best light possible, especially if the written description is accurate. If called out on a bad scan, said auction house will refund the customer immediately, no questions asked. It seems like a worthwhile risk that would likely result in thousands of dollars of extra revenue per auction.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:00 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
We aren't talking about what is done after the card is purchased. We are talking about the sale of the card and how the pictures/description do not accurate reflect the card. Bottom line, the auction house was at fault.

Last edited by parkplace33; 04-18-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
We aren't talking about what is done after the card is purchased. We are talking about the sale of the card and how the pictures/description do not accurate reflect the card. Bottom line, the auction house was at fault.
Thank you! This keeps going in circles, yet it’s so simple to understand.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:28 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
Fact: If the image of the card clearly showed the creases and wrinkles in the original auction, this thread wouldn't exist. The end!
Yeah, but what's the fun in that. This thread is over 180 posts! But totally agree with that assessment.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:03 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I can believe that an auction house has an unwritten rule that the scans for all cards will tend to show the cards in the best light possible, especially if the written description is accurate. If called out on a bad scan, said auction house will refund the customer immediately, no questions asked. It seems like a worthwhile risk that would likely result in thousands of dollars of extra revenue per auction.
But has there been any other claim that ML provided bad scans? I've been buying cards from auction houses for decades now and I've never had that issue with ML. Heritage is notorious for using scans that cover up flaws in cards as everyone knows (I know this from personal experience as well as the numerous collectors who have contacted me over the years with complaints and asked for legal advice). ML has had a myriad of other issues over the years, but bad scans -- at least to my knowledge -- has never been one of them. I could be wrong, but I think I would have heard about this issue before this thread.

Last edited by calvindog; 04-18-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm paying devils attorney..ahem advocate. Card was /is psa 1. It's hard to cheat and honest man. If it looked like a 3 candidate and made you think "hmm", remember all eyes are watching, including those running the auction. Nobody is letting that thing go.