NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued cards

Posted By: David

Without being specific, unless you wish to, how many uncatalogued cards (not listed in any known reference book) does everyone own?

Old 01-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I have 3 baseball and 2 tobacco albums (just a lil OT Leon, but I wanted to see if I was one of those that was allowed to push the envelope once in a while ).

edited to add my albums.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Without going into too much specifically...
I own three pre-war uncatalouged Phillies.
I own an additional four or five Phillies cards from pre-1970 that are currently not included in catalouges.
I own probably close to 20-30 Phillies cards post-1970 that are uncatalouged.

Joshua

Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I'd love to know about any and all previously unknown cards. I do understand both sides of this discussion (Leon and myself had a very friendly and lively lunch chat about this a while ago) so if you wish to share any information about previously unknown cards -- please email me at RKlein@Beckett.Com and if not, I do understand.

Regards
Rich Klein
Beckett Media

Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

All uncatalogued cards I've owned have been reported to SCD and graded by SGC. In the past year I've brought to light a new back for the t207 set (Recruit back with brown ink), 2 new e104-3s Sherry Magee and Boss Schmidt with Nadja backs and the e90-3 Hofman variation.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think uncatalogued cards are often overrated. In some sets, such as Yum Yum and G&B among many, you should anticipate that new cards will be found. When they first reach people's attention, they hold a premium, but are soon assimilated into the rest of the set. Five years later, someone looking at the checklist will not remember a certain card was once unknown. However, in some cases it would be remarkable, such as finding a T206 Connie Mack. That would truly be headline news.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

Maybe someone here can tell me if this is card is uncatalogued, or if I am just not seeing it. Not that valuable but still curious. It would probably grade a 4 or 5. I bought it from Lipset about 12 years ago. Gave it to my son for his birthday.

It is an Old Judge '89. The name is P. Tuckerman. On the Saint Paul Saints. Now I know there is an A.M. Tuckerman in the catalogue. Same guy? Brother? Any insight into this card? Not for sale, just have always been curious. Thanks any help. I appreciate it.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I know there are two different prerogatives on reporting uncat cards, and I've always felt that reporting new information was the best choice for me. Our hobby doesn't depend on new information becoming public knowledge, but it certainly sparks more growth than most really think. I feel as a collector, one of the most exciting things that can happen with vintage baseball cards is the announcement of a new discovery. Within the past 15 years, great issues like Tango Eggs and Lections were realized thanks to the individuals who chose to share their finds.
Many collectors don't wish to share their discoveries, and I try to respect that decision. But it's troubling to know that some collectors have great uncat material, and won't divulge it because they believe the worth will diminish, or don't wish the general public to know. In my experience, I've reported a decent number of uncat issues to the SCD, and subsequently watched the interest and value of those cards climb rapidly. I don't report my finds for monetary kickbacks though, I only do it for the benefit of the hobby as a whole. I also support this through my website, by posting cards still uncategorized: http://www.freewebs.com/goudeyhunter/uncatalogedcards.htm

Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

... and thank you for sharing some of your past finds. --Lyman

Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

right now I own about 15, last year is was twice that (Herpolsheimer, etc.).

There is a big difference between uncatalogued from an unknown set, and uncatalogued from a well known set.

They are over rated unless the set they came from is well known.
One of my favorite finds a few years back was the Holland Ice Cream card #16 Peckinpaugh that was always listed in checklists as "unknown" until the card I found came to light. It was short printed to keep kids from turning in complete sets for free ice cream, it still is the only one known. Early eBay was full of uncatalogued stuff for great prices, I miss those days

Old 01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Doesn't it strike you as a little bit odd to have a card that no one knows of and that is not catalogued and WANT to keep it that way? Kinda masturbatory, IMHO.

If you are worried about value, you should not be, since part of value with cards is perception, and if the card isn't on anyone's radar, no one is going to demand it. I've "outed" literally hundreds of boxing cards in my books and my experience has been that prices and demand have increased on them.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

As far as my uncatalogued Old Judge not being reported as well as a few others I have, it was never a matter of "keeping" it from the masses. I couldn't care less about value. So I had no hidden agenda. I am a collector. I quite frankly had forgotten about it until I saw this thread, which made me recall it. I am more than willing to share it, or have photos of it scanned, or whatever. I had bought it from Lipset years ago, had given it to my son for his birthday. I doubt Lew even knew it was unknown.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Hello Mike, are you sure the Old Judge you mention isn't Tuckerman P. ?

Tuckerman was a pitcher and nearly all his cards show him as Tuckerman P. St. Paul or St. Pauls.

And back to the thread . . .

I have two uncatalogued Gypsy Queens, but like Barry stated, this is one of those 19th century sets that isn't very well catalogued. In fact Gypsy Queen may be the single worst catalogued set since it hid under it's bigger brother Old Judge set for so long.

Joe Gonsowski

Old 01-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Well put Eric! Time to share...

As for uncat. stuff, I have a lot of cards that aren't in the SCD (or weren't in the 2005 edition). Many are foreign issues, postcards, or premiums that probably aren't of enough interest to be included in the catalog. Some have even become uncatalogued, like the '28 Block Brothers StL. postcard, which is no longer in the SCD. (Are Peck & Snyder's considered uncat. cards now?)

I reported 2 Leader Novelty Cards last year - don't know if they made it into the '06 SCD: Earl Combs & Eddie Rommel. Lemke has had the info. for the Oakland Oaks team issue for a while, but they still don't appear in the SCD.

Time for some pictures: (Anybody know anything about the Rowe mini pennant? The Mathewson & McGraw card is from the Tobacos de Angola issue - like the Tabacalera la Morena but different backs.)

Let's see some others!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jims

These little pennants have shown up in the past few years. Bob has added them to the "06 big book entitled "1937 BF-UNC Felt Pennants

Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Great cards GV..you never let us down!

Lyman,

I never subscribed to VCBC, but I have a photocopy of an article that was run in that magazine which touched upon uncataloged cards of the time. I can't track down the article right now, but we're probably talking close to 10 years ago. I was wondering what you thought of offering a similair article in Old Cradboard, allowing collectors to send in card scans and breif bio's about them? If someone wanted to send a scan and remain anonymous, that might be a good way to encourgae folks to share the hidden treasures they own. I enjoy the "unknown" cards, and I think many others do to. I've always said that there's probably a good 100+ vintage issues not cataloged..and it would be great to see, and learn, something new. Just a thought.

E.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

Eric, an article on "uncataloged" cards sounds like a good idea to me. To some extent we cover interesting and obscure cards in our monthly eNewsletter (or Editor's Notebook section of the magazine) as they become known. A more detailed overview type of article in the magazine would definitely be of interest to our readers. We always welcome any input/scans of collector's new discoveries. Please send any input to editor@oldcardboard.com. Hopefully, the biggest challenge will be determining which ones to use in an article limited to 5-6 magazine pages. Thanks Eric and Glen for your suggestions and support. We look forward to hearing from many more members of the forum. --Lyman

Old 02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

That sounds great Lyman..I just sent you an email, and I'll help in any way I can.

I don't want to press other collectors, but this would be a great chance to show "new" material. Hopefully many collectors will contribute. As I eluded to in my last post, if you prefer to keep ownership of your card anonymous, I'm sure Lyman would be more than willing to honor that.

E.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Administrator

ok, I gotta say something after seeing the same word completely missplelled for the third time. The word people are wanting use is allude, not elude. Two very different words and meanings. Mind you, I'm jsut a dumb, illiterate jock, but seeing this word pop up 3 times in the past week, and misspelled each time got to me.

Just to stay on topic, here is the e90-3 Hofman variation

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I wouldnt call what you're alluding to a misspelling Jay because they did spell the word right,just used the wrong word, and obviously proper grammar eludes you all the time so dont be so picky.

Dont take this personal Jay its "jsut" me demonstrating the proper usage of each word for everyones benefit

Old 02-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator

It's actually "everyone's" benefit. Just thought I would join in the fun. And I'm with Jay- that allude/elude thing was bugging me too, but I get killed if I start correcting people's grammar or spelling.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

I havent used an apostrophe since i was attacked by one as a small boy.Thank you for bringing back that memory Barry

Old 02-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

John- Please share the story with us about how you were attacked by an apostrophe as a small boy. On an episode of "Seinfeld" Elaine broke up with her boyfriend over an exclamation point. I guess I underestimated the danger inherent in punctuation.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

John, I am going to have to attack you now since I am such a heartless bastich that has nothing better to do than attack people all the time.

I think we all want to hear about the attack. I think being attack by an apostraphy would be much worse than anything I could dish out.

Jay

Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Im sure most people dont want to read this since i got the thread so far off topic already but to appease my 2 fans ill just say that when i was real small i used an apostrophe in the wrong place while at the chalkboard in front of the entire class and everyone laughed. So then i started badmouthing apostrophes to make it look like they were at fault.Word mustve got around town and one day while on the wrong side of town i was surrounded by a bunch of apostrophes and brutally attacked and they said i couldnt use them anymore.Really put me in a bind at school,my english teacher thought i was mentally handicapped because i couldnt grasp the use of an apostrophe.Oh sure,i couldve told her the story but it sounds like one of those dog ate my homework excuses.

Dont ask about why i refuse to use a capital i when referring to myself unless its at the beginning of a sentence,that story is too crazy to be believable.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator

John- I feel your pain.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Punctuation: I don't get it.

Commas are not lower forms of apostrophys (or is "ies" the plural?).

There is no reason to downgrade a ; to the status of semicolon, since the addition of the comma is an enhancement to the colon.

And the colon is an appropriate name for a punctuation mark in which it is impossible to determine which dot goes on the top.

Exclamation points are far more meek when confronted with asterisks and question marks.

And I certainly am a devout paranthetical expressionist, but when do you properly use {} or []?

There is more, but I am already boring myself.