NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Registered Mail - Need Advice

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I am looking for advice on how to best track down a package that is apparently lost in the Registered Mail system (sent from PSA to me).

This is my second problem getting a package from PSA via registered mail. Last time it was never found (value was $500), and I got the insurance money. This time, it's been "in the mail" for three weeks, and I am getting nervous because the package is worth well over $5,000. It's insured for $5,000, but because one of the grades on the two cards I submitted was higher than expected it is probably worth closer to $6,500 total. Therefore, I really don't want the $5,000 of insurance coverage - I want the cards. Plus, these cards are not going to be easy to go out and replace.

Any advice on how to deal with the USPS on this or any experiences/lessons learned from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

The signature trail should tell them right where its at. I've had trouble in the past (one took 15 days), but when I called, they could always tell me who accepted it last.

I hope you get your cards Colt.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Colt - The post office computer system can track a registered or express package in more detail than what the public can see on usps.com.

I would go to your local post office and ask them to check the status (the last place the item was scanned) or call for an update. If the last scan was a place close by, it might be worth it to drive there and snoop around.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Can one of our resident postal carriers provide Colt with any insider tips?
I remember someone here saying that each carrier who signs for registered mail is directly responsible for lost items.

Colt, I hope you find your cards.

Robert

Old 03-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I don't have my package yet, but I am pretty sure it's not lost and am hoping to get it soon.

The first thing I did was call the local post office where the item was originally logged in at Newport Beach. Talked to a guy named Glenn who apparently handles all of the registered mail there (phone number is 949-640-4663). He said he handles about 300 items per day from Collectors Universe. Anyway, he was very helpful and told me that the item was shipped from Newport to LA, then LA to Kansas City (where I live). He gave me the phone number and name of the guy to call at the Kansas City post office, and also a "lock number" for the pouch the item was sent to Kansas City in.

I talked to the guy in Kansas City who told me that the pouch was never opened in Kansas City and mistakenly sent back to LA. He said this was probably because the pouch had two "lock number" labels on it - i.e. the current one for my shipment and the old one from a previous shipment of the same pouch that was probably never removed. As a result, someone failed to figure out the discrepency and just shipped it back to LA.

He then gave me the number of the woman in LA who handles the registered mail. I just spoke to her, and she said that they have figured out the problem, the pouch has been opened and resealed under a new lock number and should be going back out to Kansas City sometime soon.

So, it sounds like my cards are not lost after all and hopefully I will have them soon.

Hope this story helps provide some insight into the registered mail system. The bottom line is this - if you have a package that is lost, get on the phone with the local post offices involved in the shipment. They are very helpful, and they keep very detailed records of where the package is. They even had info on the Southwest flight number that the pouch went out on, the weight of the pouch, etc.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

hopefully good news colt. how did you get the local numbers for the po? here, they only provide an 800 number in the phone book.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Colt,

by the time you get your cards they'll be worth $8000.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Call the 800 ASK USPS number, explain the situation to the operator, and the operator will give you the number so you can call your local post office.

The other option is to call 800 ASK USPS, file a complaint and request a call back. The local Postmaster has to respond to your complaint within 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Rick McQuillan
Postmaster
Lancaster, Wi

Old 03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Registered Mail is some of the slowest available. The main reason is that it's locked in a safe when it's not in transit. So, even though you may use Priority mail to ship something, it will actually be slowed down by the registered mail service.

Be patient, USPS almost NEVER loses registered mail packages. But, they can take a while.