NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Default steve....

maybe something got in between the impression cylnder piece of debris?? that caused the embossing?? and in, turn, the impression picked up blue ink??

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Feeling blue?

After browsing this thread over the last few days, I got the "fever" and then found this nugget that ended tonite on the bay. All for the price of a night out at the movies!

Not only is it a cool oddity but its of one of the original "firemen": "Doc" Crandall who also pitched alongside "Matty".

Cool stuff.

Peace, Mike

PS Could someone tell me the correct term for this anomaly: Off set print? Print shift? etc.... please advise, thanks, mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (76.1 KB, 932 views)

Last edited by vthobby; 08-17-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Sean Costello

I refer to it as a Color Shift.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Sean is right.....

"color shift" is the term we have been using! ....doc is a great card at a great price ~!

congrats!....nice error
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Color shift works as well as any description.

The technical term is misegistration.

Stick with color shift.

And that's a nice one, that much displacement isn't common.

Steve B
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks.....

Thanks Sean, Steve, and MRVSTER for your help on that, can't wait to get "Doc" in the mail as I won it last night. Take care, mike
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
maybe something got in between the impression cylnder piece of debris?? that caused the embossing?? and in, turn, the impression picked up blue ink??

+1.

Steve B.,

Any chance that a little string of dried ink got stuck on the printer? I have zero knowledge of the printing process, just thinking about what happens sometimes when you are using a can of paint for a long time...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
+1.

Steve B.,

Any chance that a little string of dried ink got stuck on the printer? I have zero knowledge of the printing process, just thinking about what happens sometimes when you are using a can of paint for a long time...
The error is so odd I wouldn't rule it out at this point.

In general, some of the inks take a long time to fully dry, but they're "dry" very soon after printing. It runs through a set of rollers to spread it out evenly to ink the plate, and drips aren't common. A bit of overinking or spatter yes, huge gobs of ink allowed to harden? Not usually. And dried ink isn't very strong, the press should have crushed it if that happened.

I suspect a nail or bit of wire.

I've aslo spent a chunk of time looking at 1910 and earlier press patents. I'm almost rethinking the overall production entirely. Almost.

Steve B
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Jason Stricker

Default Interesting Crop Marks

I was looking through my SLs when I noticed my Miller (Piedmont 350) had multiple crop marks. I've seen plenty that have the small marks on the center side/top/bottom and one or two with a horizontal line at the top. I haven't seen one that had a 'T' mark at the top like this one. It also has a right side crop mark, a center bottom crop mark and two small blue marks in the bottom right side border. Any others like this out there?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...item3ce1ee8171

And this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLY-MILLER...item5b04ab0c4d

Both show the spot on the lower right border and the fine white lines in the background. But they don't have the registration marks a prominently.

The registration marks were either removed or wore off the plate in use. But the border dot and the fine lines being on multiple copies make that an identifiable individual position on one sheet. Another bit of the puzzle.

Steve B
Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Jason Stricker

Steve - I see the blue dot and bottom and side marks in your two examples, but not the 'T' at the top like on mine. That's what I'm curious about and haven't seen another one like this one.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Archive

Jason

Not a Miller, but look at this Goode.

Jantz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goode front.jpg (75.9 KB, 964 views)
Old 09-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
Steve - I see the blue dot and bottom and side marks in your two examples, but not the 'T' at the top like on mine. That's what I'm curious about and haven't seen another one like this one.
The T at the top and the bottom and side marks are registration marks to help align the transfers used to lay out the plate. They should have been erased, but sometimes weren't. I've seen a few cards with big marks like the top T, and most have small remnants at the centers of the sides.

I think the large marks either wore off after a while, or were eventually erased by the press operator.

Even the smaller marks are often different on the same subject, and can be used to tell different positions apart.

Steve B