NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2022, 05:10 AM

Default Discrete or Statistical Errors on Cards

Anyone ever notice discrete or statistical errors on cards?

Mickey Mantle's last card #500 from 1969 Topps contains a statistical error. YEAR 1955 notes AVG. of .307, when in fact is actually .306. All prior Topps cards with this year's stat. correctly note .306. And interestingly enough, the Major League Totals line on Mick's 1969 Topps card correctly reflects lifetime AVG. of .298 (which would be derived with a 1955 AVG. of .306 (not
.307 as noted on the card).

Fun Fact: If Mick had only 1 additional hit in each of his 18 seasons, he would have ended up in the 300 Club, with a career total of 2433 hits from 8120 at bats!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220501-070200-559.jpg (51.2 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 05-01-2022 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:34 AM
Albert Bee

Default stats

yea..true...and the other one about if an everyday player got one more hit a week...a 275 hitter would be a 300 hitter.....?..or something like that ??
Old 05-01-2022, 06:14 AM

Applying to Mick, 1 extra hit per week for 24* weeks of baseball per year over 18 years would yield 432 additional hits, totaling 2847 hits during 8102 at bats, resulting in a .351 AVG. That'd put him 4th behind: Cobb @ .366, Hornsby @ .358 and Shoeless Joe @ .355.

*Assumes played all of 1951 and 1963 seasons.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:16 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

There are a ton of errors like this in the vintage Topps sets. Which makes sense, they weren’t a secret or anything but before the baseball encyclopedias came out historical records were more difficult to access, and also manually input (I assume that Topps today is just drawing from a database and using automation to fill out card back statistics) which is always prone to error.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:40 PM
John I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
There are a ton of errors like this in the vintage Topps sets. Which makes sense, they weren’t a secret or anything but before the baseball encyclopedias came out historical records were more difficult to access, and also manually input (I assume that Topps today is just drawing from a database and using automation to fill out card back statistics) which is always prone to error.
I have a list of more than 80 statistical errors, and I find new ones whenever I go through a number of cards.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
I have a list of more than 80 statistical errors, and I find new ones whenever I go through a number of cards.
I used to note them on my master set spreadsheets, but then gave up and removed that column. Whenever I see one now, I just go check other copies and see if it was ever corrected. The answer is always "no, there's not a new variation!"
Old 05-01-2022, 02:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Greatest. Error. Ever.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-01-2022, 03:30 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Nice catch, and interesting thoughts. I’ll never own the 1969 Mantle. First, it is not a playing days Mantle. He retired after 1968 season. I don’t see how it is any different than a modern Mantle insert. Secondly, the Mick looks old and worn out.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Bill Avery

I caught the error on the 2002 Marty Cordova card and got my name in the August 2002 Beckett for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marty-Cordova.jpg (73.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (190.7 KB, 162 views)
Old 05-01-2022, 04:02 PM

The great thing about his 1969 Topps is it captures stats from his final 1968 season (unlike 1968 Topps which is only up to 1967 season stats) and thus culminates his career grand totals and averages.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:05 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
I caught the error on the 2002 Marty Cordova card and got my name in the August 2002 Beckett for it.
Hey I know the guy who wrote the article
Old 05-02-2022, 10:06 AM
John Donovan

One of my favorite stats errors that I've come accross reading the backs of my cards is the 198 RBIs attributed to Roy Campanella on his 1952 Bowman card.

Not knowing a ton of stats by heart, I'm sure there are many minor stat errors that I never notice on my vintage cards. But 198 RBI is hard to miss

camp2.JPG
Old 05-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
One of my favorite stats errors that I've come accross reading the backs of my cards is the 198 RBIs attributed to Roy Campanella on his 1952 Bowman card.

Not knowing a ton of stats by heart, I'm sure there are many minor stat errors that I never notice on my vintage cards. But 198 RBI is hard to miss

Attachment 514854
Damn I would have had so much fun with that article back in the day!
Old 05-02-2022, 03:21 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Damn I would have had so much fun with that article back in the day!
Haha! Well, then that was a missed opportunity for both of us...if you would have written a fun article on it for Beckett back in the day, then maybe I would have gotten to see my name in print just like Bill Avery did for pointing out the Cordova error
Old 05-02-2022, 04:28 PM
Bill Avery

Quote:
Hey I know the guy who wrote the article
It always amazes me how closely connected the collecting community truly is, or how fast time passes for that matter. Those were some of my favorite articles in Beckett at the time.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:27 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
It always amazes me how closely connected the collecting community truly is, or how fast time passes for that matter. Those were some of my favorite articles in Beckett at the time.
Mine too.

Mike
Old 05-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Haha! Well, then that was a missed opportunity for both of us...if you would have written a fun article on it for Beckett back in the day, then maybe I would have gotten to see my name in print just like Bill Avery did for pointing out the Cordova error
I had two stints writing E&V -- the 1st was just a bear trying to keep up with all the errors on the new cards (at the time) and it was difficult to make them real interesting.

The 2nd stint was more fun for all concerned and I wrote three side bar aritcles a month (Almanac Set of the Month, Auction Item of the month (Not usually the most expensive of course, and E&V Card of the month. As you see, people remember and loved the 2nd iteration of E&V because there was a chance their name, like Bill's would end up in print. And a side note, the article which drew the most reaction from readers via email was one I did on a typo in the Nolan Ryan RC text. It took several reprint sets before the typo was corrected.

The whole key to these stories was for the item or the player to have an interesting back story which made the card even more interesting. As you see on the Cordova, I referred to an earlier error with just as amazing as a stat goof.

Rich
Old 05-03-2022, 09:04 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
I had two stints writing E&V -- the 1st was just a bear trying to keep up with all the errors on the new cards (at the time) and it was difficult to make them real interesting.

The 2nd stint was more fun for all concerned and I wrote three side bar aritcles a month (Almanac Set of the Month, Auction Item of the month (Not usually the most expensive of course, and E&V Card of the month. As you see, people remember and loved the 2nd iteration of E&V because there was a chance their name, like Bill's would end up in print. And a side note, the article which drew the most reaction from readers via email was one I did on a typo in the Nolan Ryan RC text. It took several reprint sets before the typo was corrected.

The whole key to these stories was for the item or the player to have an interesting back story which made the card even more interesting. As you see on the Cordova, I referred to an earlier error with just as amazing as a stat goof.

Rich
That's some interesting insight into a little bit of what went in to creating content for a magazine that I assume was a big part of the collecting lives of many of us on this board. Thanks for sharing that!

I don't really follow modern now, but I wonder if newer sets still have such random statistical errors and variations, and if collectors still chase them. Yeah, I know there are INTENTIONAL short prints, image variations, color swaps, etc. (especially in Heritage). But do people still notice and/or chase "mistake" errors? I'm guessing not as many collectors even read the backs of their cards anymore, as there are much more efficient ways of finding baseball stats now.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 AM
John I.

Quote:

I don't really follow modern now, but I wonder if newer sets still have such random statistical errors and variations, and if collectors still chase them. Yeah, I know there are INTENTIONAL short prints, image variations, color swaps, etc. (especially in Heritage). But do people still notice and/or chase "mistake" errors? I'm guessing not as many collectors even read the backs of their cards anymore, as there are much more efficient ways of finding baseball stats now.
Yeah. In 2019 Topps, there were some cards where they calculated career WHIP and ERA wrong. Forget the details of why, but they had Josh Hader with a career 2.37 WHIP and 6.23 ERA.