NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yes, multiple reasons for playing these games, and no reason not to other than non-Alabama fan anger.
Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Not a big issue. It used to be that cupcakes were player during the first two weeks of a season. Several schools are now scheduling them toward the end to rest players. I think it's smart and not a big deal. Alabama's current strength of schedule is 22 and will raise once they play Auburn and in the SEC Title game.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Alabama was just an example this week. Non-competitive games to fill the coffers of small schools can legitimately be challenged regardless of the participants and all the big schools participate in this endeavor. I like competitive college football, but watching a game that is 63-0 in the third quarter just doesn't turn me on.

So I love college football, but according to Runscott I hate Alabama and all the other teams that play in these games, which includes all the top 25 Division ! schools and more.

Therefore, I love college football and I hate all the teams that play it.

Boy am I a weird dude?
Your straw man logic is certainly weird, but par for the internet.

I agree with your second sentence; however, you used Alabama as your example and that's what I responded to. A final-4 contender scheduling a cupcake right before the tough stretch at the end of the season is very different from a non-contender scheduling cupcakes at the beginning of the season. Also, scheduling such games at the beginning of the season can hurt a team's rankings, as I'm sure you know.

I understand the appeal of using a straw man when someone disagrees with you, but I probably agree with your thoughts on how teams use these games early in the season. If you want more back-patting, express your outrage over teams like Wisconsin complaining about being undefeated and ranked fifth, while scheduling cupcake games early in their schedule.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Frank, I wanted to add that I would probably be considered an 'Alabama hater' - I root against them every game, even when it would help my own team out. I can't help it. I also hate the weeks when there is no good football to watch because of all the cupcake games. I really wish they wouldn't schedule such games.

As a college student, I hated the home games where we played these terrible teams; however, our school tradition dictated that we kiss our date after each score, so it all worked out.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Express your outrage over teams like Wisconsin complaining about being undefeated and ranked fifth, while scheduling cupcake games early in their schedule.

Wisconsin is definitely known for cupcakes but Florida Atlantic is a decent team and who could have known that BYU would be so terrible? Regardless, they are on the outside looking in right now.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Bill Gregory

Every team plays an occasional cupcake. In the last three years, Wisconsin has played LSU twice, and Alabama, out of conference. And for those of you complaining about Wisconsin's strength of schedule this year, when BYU was scheduled, they were a 10-3 team. They've beaten two top 25 teams, and to get to the National Championship, they'll have to knock off a strong #7 Ohio State team.

Last year, Wisconsin was 11-3. Six of their fourteen games were against top 10 ranked opponents (#5 LSU, #8 Michigan State, #4 Michigan, #2 Ohio State, #7 Nebraska, #8 Penn State), and they beat #12 Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl. Hardly a cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Wisconsin is definitely known for cupcakes but Florida Atlantic is a decent team and who could have known that BYU would be so terrible? Regardless, they are on the outside looking in right now.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

OSU beats Wisconsin easily.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Put your cards where your mouth is.

The Badgers are already soliciting photographers to man the OSU sidelines to injure their stars.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-27-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Bill Gregory

We shall see. Wisconsin's defense is no joke, and if JT Barrett isn't 100%, things could get ugly.

Any given Sun...er, Saturday. Wisconsin beat the snot out of an Iowa team that embarrassed OSU. Stranger things have happened, and this is not the team that OSU spanked in the BiG10 Championship in '14.

I would give a year of my life to see the Badgers destroy Ohio State. There are three teams I literally hate: the Minnesota Vikings, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Plus, I don't like the Michigan Wolverines, or the Miami Hurricanes much.

If the most beautiful woman I've ever seen wanted to marry me, and she was an Ohio State fan, I'd tell her to take a hike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
We shall see. Wisconsin's defense is no joke, and if JT Barrett isn't 100%, things could get ugly.

Any given Sun...er, Saturday. Wisconsin beat the snot out of an Iowa team that embarrassed OSU. Stranger things have happened, and this is not the team that OSU spanked in the BiG10 Championship in '14.

I would give a year of my life to see the Badgers destroy Ohio State. There are three teams I literally hate: the Minnesota Vikings, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Plus, I don't like the Michigan Wolverines, or the Miami Hurricanes much.

If the most beautiful woman I've ever seen wanted to marry me, and she was an Ohio State fan, I'd tell her to take a hike!
I think it's highly unlikely any beautiful women are Ohio State fans.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.