NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default T205 Matty - why relatively high pop

Posted By: steve

I am contemplating the purchase of a T205 Mathewson PSA 5.

Upon looking at PSA pop's, I notice that this Matty is by far and away the most abundant T205 (at least in PSA 5, 6 grades). Nearly double the quantity of other HOF'ers such as Speaker, Young, W.Johnson and Cobb.

Question: Why? Perhaps is the Matty a double print? Also, do you forsee the T205's always valued more than comparable T206's ?

Thanks, Steve.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Hmm...first question, in my research, the Matty is as abundant as any other HOFer that appears in all backs (McGraw, Speaker, Cobb, etc.). Matty seems to get graded more because the card is just stunning. Sort of like the '53 Bowman Reese which tends to get graded more for the pic.

Your second question is sort of misleading. T205s are often valued less than their t206 counterparts. Certain HOFers can be found for less. Cobbs in vg and below in T205 are less than Cobbs in similar t206s. Same with Walter Johnson and McGraw and Clarke and Chance and Bender. Yet with some HOFers like Speaker, Matty, Collins, and Evers the prices in T205s are more than their t206 counterparts. The price guides are off on most t205s lately.

I recently bought a g-vg T205 Bender for $45. A bargain to be sure but a similar Bender for T206 would have certainly been more.

Another example is the Evers. I paid $125 for a vg Evers from the T205 set. I paid $100 for a T206 Evers (most common pose).

These two sets just seem to be strange that way. I do anticipate t205s to eventually overtake t206 in price for good but let's hope that does not happen for a long long time.

Joshua

Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

"I do anticipate t205s to eventually overtake t206 in price for good but let's hope that does not happen for a long long time."

You'll never have to worry about me showing an interest in T205. While some people think they're beautiful -- indeed, some people think they are perhaps the most beautiful of the pre-war issues -- there is a large segment of the collecting public (myself included) that finds them ugly as all get out.

T206's are safe because people either love them or like them or are indifferent. T205's are less safe because people either love them or hate them.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Thanks for the input. I did not examine PSA pop's in 1-4 grades. You may be right in these lower grades. However, the higher the grade, the better the chance of more that exist have already been sent to PSA.

Here are the PSA pop's for combined PSA 5 and 6 grades:

Cobb 57
W.Johnson 32
Mathewson 75
Speaker 39
Young 36

Everybody that has a nice Cobb has probably sent it in - but look at the big difference between the other 3 major HOF'ers and the Mathewson card.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I am one of those who agree that these are ugly cards, relative to most sets. I do like the Minor League issue and have collected them, because I think they present well. But the portraits in the main set are too close up for my taste. I like the chest up portraits that you see with all the other sets from the era. As for pricing for a long time, as i understand, T205 commons held a slight premium over T206. I'd imagine for the common card the'll stay relatively priced around the same.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dylan,

Do you have any idea of how the portraits were drawn. Was it done by an artist or a photographer or...

Peter