NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone know if this is true?

Posted By: Howard

I once read that the most valuable baseball card is not the Honus Wagner but one of a Japanese superstar of many years ago. The reason it is so valuable is that nobody knows where even a single one of these cards is today. Sounds to me like an urban baseball card legend. I figured one of you guys could give me the real poop.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

sounds like nonsense to me.

pete in mn

Old 02-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Genaro

I think Rob at Robs Japanese Cards would know
http://robsjapanesecards.com/jsale.htm

Check this out I love this card

Old 02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

1959 Doyusha Shigeo Nagashima 10 Spades: Mr. Baseball. 6 batting titles, 5 MVP, 2 HR titles, 444 HR, 5 RBI titles

1959 Doyusha Tadashi Sugiura 9 Spades: Two time 30 game winner

Old 02-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

thier alphabet sure is complicated !....could you
just imagine the countries "alpha-bits" cereal ?...
seems like you would choke on them.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Urban legend at best. If no one knows where even a single copy resides, how can anyone know its value? The only way the value a card can be determined is by actual sales price.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Where are ya Julie, you oughta have a field day in this thread!

http://www.julievognar.com/Japanese.html

Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Ditto to what Paul said. How can this card be the most valuable if no one has seen it or know know who is on it ?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Eiji Sawamura was 17 when he found himself on the mound, entering the 4th inning of a game against a ridiculous line-up of Major Leaguers who were touring Japan in 1934. He struck out 9 batters, many HOFers, over 5 innings, including Gehringer, Ruth, Gehrig, and Foxx IN A ROW!!! Gehrig homered to score the only run for either team as Sawamura lost 1-0.

In 1936 he pitched the first no-hitter in the history of Japanese professional baseball. He would throw 2 more no-hitters before his short career ended, leaving behind a lifetime ERA of 1.74.

After the 1943 season Sawamura enlisted in Japan's Imperial Navy. He was killed in action in the battle for the Ryukyu Islands when his ship was torpedoed near the end of World War II.

The Sawamura Award is Japan's equivalnt to our Cy Young award.

I'm sure this is the player this urban legend is about, however, there are no cards of Sawamura.

Even if the card did exist, it is extremely unlikely it would sell for anything close to the price of a T206 Wagner, although I would personally much rather have the Sawamura card.

-Ryan

Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Were there no cards issued of baseball players in Japan before WWII? What is the earliest collectible card set depicting Japanese players?

Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

Most depict college players, tho. There are a few cabinets and postcards of amateur teams and touring American teams. I've found pre-war Japanese stuff to be a real challenge, tho I'm pretty much a rookie at it. I wish I could show off my Betto airplane die cut card here, dang it. It's not pre-war, but it's damn cool.

--Chad

Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

since we talking japan baseball players, does anyone know a a player named Jap Makado (mikado)? he supposedly played ball in des moines in the 30's

craig