NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default Which team made the best memorabilia?

Posted By: Mike H

It is interesting to me as a generalist to see the wide variability of creativity and quality that has gone into memorabilia. The volume and variety of material produced also differs from team to team. Be it programs, pennants, pinbacks, give-aways, or photos, some teams clearly separate themselves. The Athletics are probably the kings, with the Tigers and Cubs a bit behind in my oppinion.
The Giants, and Pirates seem to be at the other end of the spectrum.

Who do you think did it the best?
Who didn't?
Why do you think there is such variability?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I love topics like this, and will weigh in with my (somewhat biased) opinion... I like to collect pennants, figural pieces, nodders, pins, etc, so I guess that must weigh into what a person considers "the best". For someone who collects books, photos, programs, cards and the like, the basis for an opinion could be completely different.

But in terms of the "visual" stuff, I completely agree with Mike, that the Athletics probably lead the pack, with Tigers and Cubs also being very strong. I would also throw the Indians and Dodgers in there. Chief Wahoo and the Bum are both classic images, though nowadays not "politcally correct". The Cardinals also deserve mention, as some of their pieces are just gorgeous.

As a Reds fan, I would place Cincy about in the middle. I did not like it when they "cheapened" the baseball-headed mascot in 1970. They even got rid of his moustache when they adopted Bob Howsam's "no facial hair" policy! And btw... Mr. Met is just a blatant copy

I would rank the Senators and Phillies at the bottom.

I do have a theory on why some teams continually produced better quality memorabilia than others... Animal or cartoonish character mascots (see all mentioned above) are more condusiive to artistry and creativity. They make for interesting figural pieces, banks, statues, pennants, logos, etc. How much can you really do, to depict a "Senator" or a "Phillie" (or in modern terms, a Rockie, Mariner, Ranger, or Astro?)

Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I would put the Cubs up there and of course the Yankees.

Scott

Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Agree completely, Mike. My collection tends to be Athletics-heavy not because I have a particular affinity for the A's, but because they made the best memorabilia of the early 20th century era (followed by the Tigers and Cubs, both teams of which I have a lot of memorabilia). Plates, pins, figural items, pennants and all manner of paper items -- they really knew how to market that white elephant!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Scott, I disagree a bit regarding the Yankees. They were ok in the pennant department, but that's about it. I put them in the middle at best. I think another factor was the success of the team. The Athletics, Tigers, and Cubs were all key players from 1900-the 1930s. Perhaps it was supply and demand and speaks the the fan support.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I think you have to throw the Red Sox in there when you consider the great pennants, panoramic photos, pinbacks, et cetera. I really do think the Athletics are #1 though.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

The Red Sox are up there. I love everything they did featuring the socks, but they didn't get super creative.

I agree with Mark's Mascot theory also. I wonder if the "stuff" came from the team, or a local artisan.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Yeah, definitely throw the Red Sox in there (at least until the late teens). Great pennants and pins and other items in support of their World Series teams and the Royal Rooters.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I was thinking in terms of the quality of material that the Yankees produced. For old-timers day they would give out radios, watches and gold charms. Players and execs often recieved silver cups, platters, and jewelry at the end of the season. In terms of quality, I don't think that any other team even comes close, the Athletics and Cubs being a pretty distant 2nd

But as far as souvenir pieces, you are correct, they were pretty much average outside of the pennants and buttons.

Scott

Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I personally think that Red Sox memorabilia is the ugliest looking stuff out there. That being said, nobody should bother bidding on this material.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

I personally think the St. Louis Browns did a great job for a short period of time when they used the Brownie logo. All time greats would be the A's, Tigers and Red Sox in no particular order. Thank God my team didn't start playing until 1954 (Orioles).

Clint

Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I left out the Cubs somehow.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Well then I guess you won't be needing this then Clint....I'll just pitch it in the trash.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Well, that's minor league baseball so I'll have to pass. I guess there was the old Oriole team with Keeler, McGraw, Uncle Robby, Hanlon and Jennings. I guess for my pocketbook's sake I'll just stick with the 1954 and after squads. Dan was that guy on the red card famous or something?

Clint

Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

From my extensive research I found he had a shortlived minor league career, but I don't know if he ever made it to the major leagues.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

Red Sox and Yankees are always on top - with the Athletics, Cubs and Dodgers for the National League

Jimmy