NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2022, 07:00 AM
Frank Wakefield

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite baseball quotes:

Baseball is like Church. Many attend, few understand.

That explanation TOTALLY misses how that play developed. Back in the day, all players normally veered away from 2nd base to get off of the field in that end of game situation. Earlier in the season Johnny Evers (EE - vers, not sounding anything like the plural of 'ever') attempted that end of game force out situation, and the umpire didn't call it. Evers and the umpire discussed it, and the umpire indicated that if it came up again, he'd be watching and he'd call it. Well it did come up, in this critical game.

Merkle was intelligent. Merkle was among the few players with whom the Giants manager would discuss baseball strategy. And that was no normal manager... it was John McGraw, among the elite of baseball strategists. Get the 4 cd set of The Glory Of Their Times, and listen to Chief Meyers discuss the play, manager McGraw, and Fred Merkle. After listening to that, you'll think that McGraw didn't chew out Merkle for a baserunning blunder, but that he perceived that Evers had out rules mastered McGraw.

I think that listening to that CD set, reading that book and a few others, should be required reading here. [/SIZE]

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-10-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:20 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

That explanation TOTALLY misses how that play developed. Back in the day, all players normally veered away from 2nd base to get off of the field in that end of game situation. Earlier in the season Johnny Evers (EE - vers, not sounding anything like the plural of 'ever') attempted that end of game force out situation, and the umpire didn't call it. Evers and the umpire discussed it, and the umpire indicated that if it came up again, he'd be watching and he'd call it. Well it did come up, in this critical game.

Merkle was intelligent. Merkle was among the few players with whom the Giants manager would discuss baseball strategy. And that was no normal manager... it was John McGraw, among the elite of baseball strategists. Get the 4 cd set of The Glory Of Their Times, and listen to Chief Meyers discuss the play, manager McGraw, and Fred Merkle. After listening to that, you'll think that McGraw didn't chew out Merkle for a baserunning blunder, but that he perceived that Evers had out rules mastered McGraw.

I think that listening to that CD set, reading that book and a few others, should be required reading here. [/SIZE]
This is right, but I still think the umpire, Hank O'Day, was wrong to suddenly enforce this rule (with that side understanding with Evers) at the end of the season, in a pennant race.

Keith Olbermann has been working for years to clean Fred Merkle's name of that "boner" misnomer. When O'Day was inducted into the HOF I emailed Keith and he replied by spelling out why O'Day's ruling was wrong:

Of course the key to the O'Day call is, if he really thinks that's a third out, he has to either resume the game or forfeit it to Chicago. He got it wrong no matter whether you think the premise of the play was right or wrong.

His options were:
1) Base hit, ballgame over
2) Not a base hit, resume game
3) Not a base hit, forfeit to Chicago
Old 05-10-2022, 09:26 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Strangely enough, I was just rereading "Glory of Their Times" last night with none other than Fred Snodgrass, a player/witness and himself the victim of a "boner", describing this piece of baseball history. A couple of interesting sidebars:
1. Joe McGinnity was 3rd base coach for for the Giants. He saw what Evers was trying to do and strongly moved to intervene.
2;. Frank Chance, then player/mgr of the Cubs rushed to the umps' locker room and convinced them to return to the field and after much discussion they ruled Merkle out, the winning run forfeited and the game tied.
3. McGraw did not lambast Merkle. Rather gave him a $1,000 raise for the following season.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:34 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:

Nicely done, Frank.
(Being the, "die-hard" Cub fan; I love the, "Evers had out rules mastered McGraw" part too, lol.)

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 05-10-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added ( .... ) part
Old 05-10-2022, 01:32 PM
Ch@d

successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 05-10-2022, 01:35 PM
J@RR0D

Merkle's Boner and Snodgrass' Muff are two plays that wrongly sullied the names of two great (and intelligent) ballplayers. Chief Meyers even referred to Merkle as "the smartest man in baseball".
Old 05-10-2022, 09:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you, Mark and Ben; I agree, Jarrod.

And it sounds like Mr. Olbermann has thoughtfully considered and correctly suggested how that situation plays out. It was a mess. Right about McGinnity heaving the ball into oblivion, and about the $1000.

From what I've read, Snodgrass didn't deserve the blame in losing that World Series game... as is mentioned.

I like this stuff, it brings the little cards to life. In a way it de-monetizes them a bit, and part of their value is tied to their legacy. That's more appealing to me than slabs, pop reports, and such.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:40 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:

And it sounds like Mr. Olbermann has thoughtfully considered and correctly suggested how that situation plays out. It was a mess. Right about McGinnity heaving the ball into oblivion, and about the $1000.

From what I've read, Snodgrass didn't deserve the blame in losing that World Series game... as is mentioned.

I like this stuff, it brings the little cards to life. In a way it de-monetizes them a bit, and part of their value is tied to their legacy. That's more appealing to me than slabs, pop reports, and such.
Thank you, Frank; for sharing a view of the hobby that I can relate to;

RE: "I like this stuff, it brings the little cards to life. In a way it de-monetizes them a bit, and part of their value is tied to their legacy. That's more appealing to me than slabs, pop reports, and such."

We all get the bug with HOF'ers, stars. teams. etc. Not to hijack the thread but I love digging into history for possible backstory, as it may relate to a player or card. "Boner" and "Muff" are well known examples but I have found so many cool adventures that keep my passion going; love your take referenced above.
Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 05-11-2022, 01:59 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:

Bingo! That is why I am still in the Game.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:19 PM
J@son Per1

It was an incredibly boneheaded play any which way you slice it.

I play coed softball and a couple of years ago in the championship we were in a similar situation where we were in a tie game with 2 out and the bases loaded. A hit would win it. I was screaming at the dummies on first and second to make sure they touch the base in event of a hit. Yeah I'm that guy.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

Guys... read / listen to The Glory of Their Times. Absorb what Chief Meyers had to say. Then notice how Professor Ritter Asks Snodgrass about it and how he asks about Snodgrass' play.

This wasn't a rookie mistake or a bonehead play, it was the norm for the time. Hundreds of fans pouring onto the field, the players didn't leave the field via the dugout at the Polo Grounds at that time, instead they left through gates far away in that deep center field wall. Merkle and everyone else (except for maybe Johnny Evers AFTER he'd talked with umpires about the possibility of the play) would have veered to the right of the path from first base to second base, and they'd have headed straight for the safety of the clubhouse out there past the center field gate.

Years later, with the rules clarity that came after this play, understanding had spread through the major leagues, through the minors, through college ball, and high school ball. Even today, many little leaguers don't get it, I'm sure I didn't my first year in little league. Nowadays it's a bonehead play. 110 years ago it was the expected, predictable norm.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:45 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Yeah I'm that guy.
I knew "that guy" - He played on every team that I was on from 5th grade thru High school.......

Old 05-11-2022, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Merkle's Boner and Snodgrass' Muff are two plays that wrongly sullied the names of two great (and intelligent) ballplayers. Chief Meyers even referred to Merkle as "the smartest man in baseball".
They were two excellent players who didn't deserve the notoriety. But being the wordy fellow that I am, I have to admit that I am impressed you were able to work both 'boner' and 'muff' into the same sentence.

I feel thoroughly sullied.

Brian
Old 05-11-2022, 06:50 AM
Ryan Phi

Im trying to find a ticket to this game. In fact, I dont think I have ever seen one.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Adam

I learned about it in Ken Burns' Baseball documentary, there was a full segment about it in there. Rookie mistake, and he never lived it down for the rest of his life. Brutal. And honestly, considering all the crazy people pouring onto the field, I'd bet many other players would've done the same. You've got to feel for that guy.