NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Tim

Default E222 Back Variations

I have posted this information online before, but I'm hoping reviving it here may add some new confirmations to the information I've been able to gather so far.

One of the more intriguing aspects of this scarce issue is the number of back variations considering the sets small size and limited production. The set was printed by Fulton Press which consisted of two brothers running a small print job shop out of their family home. Unlike large printing firms of the day that produced thousands of cards for issues like T206, the E222’s were produced in small batches and for a presumed short period of time.

One of the challenges in understanding the different back variations has been acquiring enough scan examples of each subject to understand the patterns. To date I have partial or full information on over forty unique cards from auction listings, posted scans and generous private collectors that have shared their information with me. The following is what I’ve been able to determine about the backs at this point.

1) There are six A.W.H. back variations and one A.W.A. for a total of seven different backs.

2) Each of the six A.W.H. backs was printed in red, blue or black.

3) All A.W.H. backs have a confirmed example with each of the three colors with the exception of back #3 black.

4) All three A.W.A. examples known at this time have blue backs.

5) Each back variation was printed with a pair of front images with the exception of back #5 which was printed using two pairs.

The following is based on 40 unique cards on my confirmed list and could change with newly discovered examples.

Back #1 - Lipe and Sieber are found with this back.

Back #2 - Guiheen and Hooker are found with this back.

Back #3 - Revelle and Shaughnessy are found with this back.

Back #4 - Smith and Titman are found with this back.

Back #5 - Two sets of pairs are found with this back. The first is McCauley and Ryan the only two subjects who have also been found with A.W.A. The second pair is Hooker and Shaughnessy.

Back #6 - Ison and Otey are found with this back.

Back #7 - McCauley and Ryan are found with this back.

Here is a breakdown of the 40 subjects on my confirmed list and the back variation and color for each.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has anything else to add, has a question or comment and again thank you to all those that have already helped a great deal by sharing their information with me.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 01-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

I just want to say, thanks, and great post Tim. I wish I had something to add but have not been fortunate to find much on this series. Your research on it is greatly appreciated. I do like the cards....though I think they suffer from being so scarce. The Shag is a cool card (of course it's the same front as 206, but a great card nonetheless). best regards
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
J@son M1ller

Great research, Tim. Thanks for shedding some light on a lesser known issue.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Robert A

Interesting info Tim.

It's difficult to study sets that are this small, especially when it's so hard to locate even one card from the set.

Anything is possible, but with the pairs maybe you've discovered how they were given away or inserted into the packaging (two with the same back). With such a small set and small number of cards surviving, maybe given away over the course of one baseball season.

Just ramblings...
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Scott

Default Good job

That's why I come to this board!

This is a hot bed for 100 year old discoveries!!

Love it!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Anything is possible, but with the pairs maybe you've discovered how they were given away or inserted into the packaging (two with the same back). With such a small set and small number of cards surviving, maybe given away over the course of one baseball season.
Robert - Like you said anything is possible. We can make a pretty educated guess as to when the cards were created given they only copied 8 of the Virginia State League T206 images. These were the 8 that were printed with Hindu backs. Had they created the set just a little later using Old Mill or Piedmont cards, they would have had all 12 Virginia State League T206 images to copy.

Your theory of two cards being inserted into each package is very plausible. They were copying T206 images and if they were also mimicking their packaging the Hindu's had two cards inserted into each pack.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Robert A

Tim.

They were mimicking T206 alright.

This is the only caramel set that uses the T206 back format with the box around the inner advertising and ornate corner designs.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 01-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
This is the only caramel set that uses the T206 back format with the box around the inner advertising and ornate corner designs.
Robert - Here's a comparison image that shows exactly what you're talking about. Along with the frame and corner design you described, you'll also see they used the words "Base Ball Series" and they used the "Fulton Press, Richmond, Va." like the factory designation on the T206 backs.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default so

So since it's apropos, and I am not sure others will show theirs, here are a few of them. One of the things about collecting the really scarce stuff is that sometimes (most times) more come to the hobby, and double or more, the known population. Until Dan'o showed the 2 AWA's, from an established hobbyist, the only one known was this one. "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" Sometimes it can help legitimatize a card though, which is a good thing.

Last edited by Leon; 01-14-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM
JeR@Me

Default Thank you!

Tim - Thank you for sharing this very interesting info! I love these small - rare sets that get very little attention.

Leon - Also thanks for sharing those wonderful scans ! Beauties !!

I can see it now... There will be a small find of these in the next 12 months, and perhaps a half dozen or so will be sold as a lot in an auction...
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: E222 Back Variations

Terrific work, Tim! Thank you.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Dan Studebaker

Thanks Tim, I love this set.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Tim,
It's hard to believe that 10 years have passed since your fantastic research into the origins of the E222 card set was published in the Old Cardboard Magazine (Issue #23, Summer 2010).

My collection of E222s has grown to 9 of the 12 cards in this set. I have just compared them to the 40 E222 cards you detailed in your chart in your first post in this thread, and I find that I have 2 cards that do not appear on your list of 40 confirmed back and color variations - in case you are not already become aware of these two, they are:

Ison (severely trimmed) with a Type 6 black back.
McCauley with a Type 3 black back.

Best,
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222 Ison - front - from Mckee 11-6-17.jpg (66.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg E222 Ison - back - From Mckee 11-6-17.jpg (67.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg E222 McCauley - front.jpg (77.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg E222 McCauley - back.jpg (77.9 KB, 71 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.