NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2018, 06:51 PM

I am always amazed (amused? perplexed?) at the extreme negative response that a new flip can elicit. As long as it's not entirely distracting and it serves its purpose (ie. it relays the necessary information), isn't that good enough? Typically when I look at a graded card I will just glance at the flip and then spend the rest of my time looking at the actual card.

I can understand not wanting a change for uniformity with existing cards in the collection, but to classify some simple, gold colored text laid out against a white background as "ugly" or "horrible" seems a bit overdramatic.

To each their own, I guess.

ch.uck wo.lf
Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

One thing I will say about Beckett is I love the subgrades being listed on the flip. I think Dave and the guys at SGC are doing some great and innovative stuff. I’ve always preferred sgc to psa, and I really like what they are doing. Particularly the photos of the card in the holder (to prevent fakes) and the “make an offer” program, which is brilliant.

Last edited by orly57; 07-03-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
One thing I will say about Beckett is I love the subgrades being listed on the flip. I think Dave and the guys at SGC are doing some great and innovative stuff. I’ve always preferred sgc to psa, and I really like what they are doing. Particularly the photos of the card in the holder (to prevent fakes) and the “make an offer” program, which is brilliant.
Agreed: the scans of all submitted cards available to the public as well as the offer program are obviously groundbreaking in TPG.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I am always amazed (amused? perplexed?) at the extreme negative response that a new flip can elicit. As long as it's not entirely distracting and it serves its purpose (ie. it relays the necessary information), isn't that good enough? Typically when I look at a graded card I will just glance at the flip and then spend the rest of my time looking at the actual card.

I can understand not wanting a change for uniformity with existing cards in the collection, but to classify some simple, gold colored text laid out against a white background as "ugly" or "horrible" seems a bit overdramatic.

ch.uck wo.lf
This!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default New Free Sale Outlet

The offer program in particular is exciting!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
The offer program in particular is exciting!
Until people start using it to offer $10 on $100 cards...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

Do anyone know for sure if the actual holder itself is being redesigned? or if it's just the label?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket9 View Post
Do anyone know for sure if the actual holder itself is being redesigned? or if it's just the label?
I wondered that myself.

Nowhere has it been stated that the holder is redesigned, but the first thread that broke this news was all about the "new slab" so everyone went with that.

If you look at the edges of the slab on the previous photo with the new flip, it does look like the seam is slightly different, but it could just be photoshop touchups making it look more clean for the website.

Last edited by CW; 07-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Surely they’ll allow a minimum offer to be input by the seller, similar to eBay. I hope...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
Surely they’ll allow a minimum offer to be input by the seller, similar to eBay. I hope...
But then you'd have to price or value every card you own in SGC flips on their website for that to happen. Otherwise, how would the website know what your card is worth to you/the market and what a fair offer for it is? I bet a lot of collectors will just turn that option off after getting a couple of offers, since many never plan to sell their own cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
But then you'd have to price or value every card you own in SGC flips on their website for that to happen. Otherwise, how would the website know what your card is worth to you/the market and what a fair offer for it is? I bet a lot of collectors will just turn that option off after getting a couple of offers, since many never plan to sell their own cards.
Good point. Hopefully SGC is taking all of this crucial stuff into consideration.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
I think it’s worked out pretty well with the Heritage “make an offer program.”
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Just like they do on the BST. At least prior to making an offer you won't have to read that the card is undergraded or that it's really not OC when it's OC.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As an aging fart I appreciate the larger numbers.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As an aging fart I appreciate the larger numbers.
Me too but there is an abundance of OCD collectors. These changes sometimes cause them nightmares. For me, change is normal, but not so for many. Whenever we make any slight modification to the board I get PMs about it changing....That said every company has to roll with the times.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:

ch.uck wo.lf
Hey Chuck, I have no concerns over the pristine holder, none of my cards would be graded as such. It all boils down to uniformity with the other SGC graded cards. I have nearly 100 Detroit OJs, all in SGC holders with green label. I have a couple upgrades ready to be sent in that will now stick out. When displaying the collection a good looking slab with a uniform look will help put the emphasis on the cards as it should be. I'm very stubborn on uniformity in all my hobbies, be it cards, coins, etc. I recognize it as a fault. This label change will result in some of us being less loyal to SGC. I'd be satisfied if they simply retained the green border. Maybe I'll be less opposed with time.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hey Chuck, I have no concerns over the pristine holder, none of my cards would be graded as such. It all boils down to uniformity with the other SGC graded cards. I have nearly 100 Detroit OJs, all in SGC holders with green label. I have a couple upgrades ready to be sent in that will now stick out. When displaying the collection a good looking slab with a uniform look will help put the emphasis on the cards as it should be. I'm very stubborn on uniformity in all my hobbies, be it cards, coins, etc. I recognize it as a fault. This label change will result in some of us being less loyal to SGC. I'd be satisfied if they simply retained the green border. Maybe I'll be less opposed with time.
This I can understand. I have definitely learned over the years that many collectors strive for that element of uniformity.

As a side note, I think the best and most positive thing out of all this is that SGC is not going down without a fight. Not that they were on the way out, necessarily, but things weren't looking good -- SGC was stagnant as a company, while PSA had been introducing improvements to their products and site left and right.

It now seems like SGC is making a concerted effort to improve their product and market share, and that can only be a good thing for us collectors. The more competition for PSA and BGS, the better (even if SGC will never be as big as PSA, they don't have to be).

I also hope the improvements to the actual holder and plastic mold will forever eliminate the dreaded "slipping the gasket" epidemic that we saw with many SGC encapsulated cards, especially the glorious cabinet cards we all know and love. I thought I saw a mention of improvements to the holder itself, hopefully being similar to the PSA slab in which the rear portion fits inside of the front.

I am pulling for SGC to succeed with all of this.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Typically when I look at a graded card I will just glance at the flip and then spend the rest of my time looking at the actual card.
Lucky you. I find the flips a huge distraction as my eyes naturally draw towards them. That's one of the main reasons I collect raw.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Lucky you. I find the flips a huge distraction as my eyes naturally draw towards them. That's one of the main reasons I collect raw.
You get to feel, touch, and smell the cards. Maybe you're the lucky one.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
A more innovative solution would be to simply reverse the holder halves, using the current front as the back and the back as the front. Let all the grade-heads flip the card to see the flip. Those that buy the card and not the holder won't care. And those that buy the holder will flip having to flip the card to see the flip.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
A more innovative solution would be to simply reverse the holder halves, using the current front as the back and the back as the front. Let all the grade-heads flip the card to see the flip. Those that buy the card and not the holder won't care. And those that buy the holder will flip having to flip the card to see the flip.
In an ideal world (for me), the flip would give an opinion on authenticity and alteration status only, letting collectors decide on the grade. In reality, though, that will never happen because too many people want their opinions spoon fed to them by someone else. The number of people I have met in my life who happily let someone else do their thinking for them is staggering. I'm not at all saying all slabbies are idiots, I'm just giving a "bonafide" grade lets the idiots into the party.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
In an ideal world (for me), the flip would give an opinion on authenticity and alteration status only, letting collectors decide on the grade. In reality, though, that will never happen because too many people want their opinions spoon fed to them by someone else. The number of people I have met in my life who happily let someone else do their thinking for them is staggering. I'm not at all saying all slabbies are idiots, I'm just giving a "bonafide" grade lets the idiots into the party.
I get your point... but the grade really helps me when purchasing online. Unless you can see the card in person and move it around in the light it is really hard to judge sometimes. If you're buying 8, 9, or 10s it probably doesn't matter but if you're in the low-mid grades like me there could be any number of flaws that just don't come across in all pictures. If something looks like a 6 and is a 6 then great... if something looks like a 6 and is a 3 then that is when I start asking more questions or asking for better pictures.

I'm more interested in comprehensive grading notes online than the grade itself. If there is a surface wrinkle or light crease that a photo isn't picking up I'd like to know.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
I'm more interested in comprehensive grading notes online than the grade itself. If there is a surface wrinkle or light crease that a photo isn't picking up I'd like to know.
I agree. This would be incredible.