NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2024, 06:41 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Default Curious about 1913 Lajoie Game Cards

1) Why no American Catalog designation for them? Did Mr Burdick not know about them?

2) Why only Nap on the cards?

Thanks for any background on these incredibly affordable old cards of o great HOFer!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2024, 07:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

As for an ACC designation, as there as basically only a single card in two colors I can only assume it seemed pointless to catalogue a single card. The WG designation is a newer usage in the hobby as Burdick originally meant it for use for greeting cards and game cards were added.

As for the single subject again I can only make an assumption that Parker Brothers wanted just to contract a single subject. The box itself has no reference at all to Lajoie, nor the rules or other material.I personally have assumed that it was more a design feature to add Lajoie than to even use his name for sales. Why would you otherwise omit any reference at all including his name if he was to be a central part? The purchaser would have never even known Nap was on the cards until they were opened.

Again, I have seen no additional evidence as to advertising material for the game which if Nap was featured may lend more credibility that he really was central to sales. So these are just my thoughts on it over the years.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:33 PM
qualitycards

I won as et off of Lelands about 20 years ago
The set was in great shape & landed a few 10's
Here's one of them

Old 05-01-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
As for an ACC designation, as there as basically only a single card in two colors I can only assume it seemed pointless to catalogue a single card. The WG designation is a newer usage in the hobby as Burdick originally meant it for use for greeting cards and game cards were added.

As for the single subject again I can only make an assumption that Parker Brothers wanted just to contract a single subject. The box itself has no reference at all to Lajoie, nor the rules or other material.I personally have assumed that it was more a design feature to add Lajoie than to even use his name for sales. Why would you otherwise omit any reference at all including his name if he was to be a central part? The purchaser would have never even known Nap was on the cards until they were opened.

Again, I have seen no additional evidence as to advertising material for the game which if Nap was featured may lend more credibility that he really was central to sales. So these are just my thoughts on it over the years.

Great information and theories. The set is believed to be 50 for each the Red and Blue versions, with the side opposite the Lajoie image containing what I assume is 50 different 'game' results. Perhaps Burdick drew the line at cataloguing single subject game cards, because of the similarity to a regular deck of cards. All the baseball themed sets he did catalog all contained multiple subjects - National Game, Polo Ground, S & S, etc.

Brian (and for your enjoyment, lesser condition dumpster cards)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lajoiegamecardsred.jpg (76.2 KB, 50 views)