NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great night at our house-hold

Another lovely night at our house-hold. I just set off the fire alarm and had 3 fire trucks and about 6-8 firefighters show up at my door. Mind you will live out in the middle of no where with about 10 houses on a 1/2 square mile street. Nothing like a little excitement.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Barry Sloate

Cool.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Cool.
That's what I thought too!! I might add that all of their sirens and lights were going and it's really dark out.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 AM
David Str@@te

It seems that you cook like my wife.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
It seems that you cook like my wife.
actually my BBQ'ing here is the other of two times, besides this one, in 11 yrs of living here that I have triggered the alarm. I was BBQ'ing right outside the back door and the smoke came in the house, alarm went off....and here come the fire trucks . The 3rd time was barking dogs that set off the burglar alarm, we were out of town, and the local police dept came on out for a visit.

On a related note to last night, one of my neighbors just texted to me to see if everything was ok....he told me there was an ambulance too . Hell, I am surprised the National Guard didn't show up. Then my 15 yr old daughter has to put my idiocy last night on facebook......so now we are going viral on the internet. I might as well call the Dallas newspaper and give them a story too....
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Rob G.

haha, funny! well, from the outside looking in

so is your fire alarm system hooked up to the phone lines or something so that it alerts the fire station? Ours are standalone. Just the cheap $20 alarms with batteries that you hang from the ceiling. If they go off, no one knows unless you can hear it. We set them off all the time from burning stuff haha, so good thing they aren't hooked up to some larger system or else the fire trucks would be here once a month!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah, we have those too. A few years ago we had a chimney fire in August.

The Border Collie was telling us there was a problem 5 minutes before the neighbors knocked on the door to tell us how much smoke was coming out the chimney. Fire dept arrived about 2 minutes after that. -They're 3 blocks away, we get excellent response time.

As I'm heading to the attic like 15 minutes later to show the firemen how to get into the attic one of them says "You know you really should have smoke detectors" As he finished one finally went off. My comment to him was "We do have them, and put fresh batteries in last week. That's the first one to go off. " He said he wouldn't tell me about how they provide a few extra minutes notice of a fire......

Steve B
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a nosy neighbor

So I was jogging (loosely used word) down our block today and had a neighbor stop me and ask if everything was ok. I said yes, thanks for asking and quite embarrassing. He said he went down to our end of the street but the emergency vehicles had it blocked off . A service call to the alarm provider has been placed. ......
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So I was jogging (loosely used word) down our block today and had a neighbor stop me and ask if everything was ok. I said yes, thanks for asking and quite embarrassing. He said he went down to our end of the street but the emergency vehicles had it blocked off . A service call to the alarm provider has been placed. ......
lol funny stuff. Next time be sure you dress up in the proper attire ... Richard Simmons sweatin' to the oldies headband, short shorts, knee high socks, and wife beater!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
R.J. Hinners

Only a couple of days after returning home from the honeymoon, my uncle was asked to take out the garbage, and promptly spilled it as he walked down the stairs. Hasn't been asked to take out the garbage in the 40 years since...

Leon, my friend, you may have overdone it just a touch. Then again, you'll likely be relegated to the couch, with every opportunity to watch all the football games on Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default running

Well, I used to run a whole lot.....After getting back into it about 6 mos ago, and doing it 5-6 times every week, the running is the least of my problems. Fixing stuff around the house, including the alarm system. big problem, as it always has been.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, that's pretty amazing. I set off my fire alarm almost every night - glad the fire department doesn't care around here. They came out only once (not for me) - that's when you find out what's really important in your life. I put on a robe and grabbed my favorite baseball bat and pool cues. Same thing happened when I was 26 and I grabbed my Beatles records.

PS - You run more than me. When are you changing your handle to Runleon? Seriously, the running thing is great to hear - keep it up.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-17-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Leon, that's pretty amazing. I set off my fire alarm almost every night - glad the fire department doesn't care around here. They came out only once (not for me) - that's when you find out what's really important in your life. I put on a robe and grabbed my favorite baseball bat and pool cues. Same thing happened when I was 26 and I grabbed my Beatles records.

PS - You run more than me. When are you changing your handle to Runleon? Seriously, the running thing is great to hear - keep it up.
Scott- I was told that our very closely knit volunteer fire dept. absolutely loves to get all suited up and make runs. I see them out at the fire station all of the time. Our community is quite small and everyone knows everyone. I think I made their night having them come to our house . As it could actually be a tiny bit dangerous for them, I would never do that on purpose. I did feel pretty good about their immediate response.

On the running part.....I am doing a nice, fairly quick (for me) mile almost every day. Very soon I will up it to another half mile.....probably until I get up to about 3 miles a day, old age and injuries permitting. When I was in the Corps we used to run a ton...and when I got out I ran twice every day for a long time. Then later in life (about 10 yrs) I got married, tasted my mother in law's (rip) cooking, and have barely ran any in the last 15 yrs. I think this off topic section is pretty cool. No worries about talking about anything (minus politics and religion)...take it easy