NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Doug C.

Default What was/is your favorite Nintendo game ever?

For those of us that grew up in the '80s it seemed like pretty much everybody had a Nintendo NES system, but what was your favorite game? My first instinct would be to say Super Mario Bros since that was the first game I ever played and it got me hooked, but I'm going to have to go with Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I still play it regularly to this day. Talk about replay value!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Andy Garden

Love Mike Tyson's Punchout! What a killer game. I will still play Contra once and a while too! The original gold Zelda game is also a classic. That 8 bit Nintendo was perfect growing up.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

stealth fighter was pretty good. I also had a game where you had to attach pipes before the fluid ran through. Crossovers were more points, as were some special bits. I can't recall the name.

Steve B
Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG09 View Post
Love Mike Tyson's Punchout! What a killer game. I will still play Contra once and a while too! The original gold Zelda game is also a classic. That 8 bit Nintendo was perfect growing up.
I still play mine almost daily. I have it hooked up to a 50 inch Panasonic plasma screen and every time I go to play it I think how I would have loved to have that set up as a kid! The only bad thing is that the Zapper guns don't work on the new HDTVs so I can't play Duck Hunt anymore...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Mine was Galaga. Remember having to blow out the cartridges and keep resetting until the game came on? Ah the good ol days...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Daryl

Great topic! Even though I've started my third decade in this life, I still retain my fondness for Nintendo.

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3

Gameboy: Tetris

Super NES: Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Nintendo Gamecube: Super Mario Sunshine

Nintendo DS: Mario Kart DS

Nintendo Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Mine was Galaga. Remember having to blow out the cartridges and keep resetting until the game came on? Ah the good ol days...
Galaga was my favorite arcade game. The NES version was had grainy graphics and messed up sound for some reason. As far as blowing on the cartridges goes, that basically meant your games were dirty. If you take a Q-Tip, dip it in Windex and scrub the contacts on the cartridge it should work fine. Another random fact is that I actually beat the world record score for Galaga, but it's like a Guinness record. If you don't have an official witness it doesn't count...

Last edited by Doug; 08-08-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Dave

Punch out and Contra were good, but who didnt love Technobowl and the unstoppable Oakland Raiders. The Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen running back duo was unbeatable
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Andy Garden

I forgot about the Tecmo Bowl football! What a classic! It was a blast racking up unreal stats throughout a season. Whenever I play now, I automatically blow out the cartridges. Old habits die hard.

Three other games I really enjoyed: Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, and Baseball Stars

Best,

Andy
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM
JJ

Default Best NES game ever...

Double Dragon for the win.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Not sure why...but I spent more hours playing "Super C" and trying to beat that stupid game than any other.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM
David Str@@te

Something that hasn't been mentioned, Thunder and lightning. A pong knockoff. Totally addictive.

I'd second everybody who mentioned Punch Out and Tecmo Bowl. You can have Oakland, I was deadly with Da Bears.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM

double dragon and bayou billy were two NES games I owned that I've never beaten. I got to the last level in DD, but beating those shirtless ninja keanu reeves lookalikes and those shirtless big fat asses who headbutt you was ridiculous.

and bayou billy required a lot of patience - especially when you had to fight those stupid crocodiles in the swamp. i guarantee you a lot of kids today wouldnt be able to handle these games because they require rote rehearsal and extreme amount of patience.

best games in nintendo - marble madness, super mario 3 or star tropics.

and i never got into sega - nintendo brand loyal.

Last edited by majordanby; 08-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Default Code

Up up down down left right left right B A select start
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Andy Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comiskey View Post
I have seen a T-Shirt with that, and heard it in song. Classic!

Best,
Andy
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraate View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned, Thunder and lightning. A pong knockoff. Totally addictive.

I'd second everybody who mentioned Punch Out and Tecmo Bowl. You can have Oakland, I was deadly with Da Bears.
Walter Payton and was the other running back Anderson?? LT was unstoppable on defense, you couldnt kick an extra pt or field goal against the giants because of LT. Great game
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post

Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
+1,000,000. That damn game cost me a job when I was 20...Damn thing kept me up all night, and I kept going into work late.. If at all...
Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comiskey View Post
That code even made it into this movie trailer at the end even though the guy messes it up by saying "Select, Select, A, B, Left, Right". Still funny though!

http://youtu.be/_FWt8NRyJTk
Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
Not sure why...but I spent more hours playing "Super C" and trying to beat that stupid game than any other.
I actually thought the first Contra game was harder. I can actually beat Super C from start to finish without even getting hit, but I guess it helps to have 20+ years of practice. I have to agree with the people that brought up Double Dragon too. I probably play it as much as any of the games I have other than Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

Last edited by Doug; 08-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Dan Bretta

The game that came with the system - Super Mario. Took me about a week or so to beat the game the first time and I played it so often that I started going for fastest time to beat the game..then highest score possible..and then lowest score possible.

My wife's favorite game was Solomon's Key...I was at a garage sale and found one for her...brought it home and it wrecked my NES system..hasn't worked since I plugged that game in.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The game that came with the system - Super Mario. Took me about a week or so to beat the game the first time and I played it so often that I started going for fastest time to beat the game..then highest score possible..and then lowest score possible.

My wife's favorite game was Solomon's Key...I was at a garage sale and found one for her...brought it home and it wrecked my NES system..hasn't worked since I plugged that game in.
The game could just be dirty and simply dipping a Q Tip in some rubbing alcohol and scrubbing the contacts on the cartridge until they come clean will usually do the trick. Assuming you have the original front loading NES system where the games went in like a VCR, it might need the 72 pin connector replaced. You can buy a brand new connector on eBay for about $5. The main hassle with switching them out is that you have to go through over a dozen screws to get to it. I've replaced a ton of them and it still takes me about 15 minutes although I usually clean the circuit board and the inside of the case while I have it apart. Another option is to buy one of the later top loader NES systems (see below). They are way more reliable, but they usually run about $85 on eBay where you can buy an already refurbished front loader for half that. The only real problem with the top loaders is that the picture quality is pretty lousy since they only have an RF output. You can buy ones that have been modded for AV out, but they don't come up for sale very often. I paid $125 for my modded AV top loader, but considering how much I still play NES games, it was a pretty sound investment.

Last edited by Doug; 08-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
Punch out and Contra were good, but who didnt love Technobowl and the unstoppable Oakland Raiders. The Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen running back duo was unbeatable
Tecmo Super Bowl was the greatest football game ever. 8 plays, 4 run, 4 pass, can change them, change players
Raiders defense was ok, the LBs were not very good and the secondary (the players I liked to play D with the most) were ok.
But Bo Jackson was a weapon like no other.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM

Default Baseball Stars

By far my favorite nintendo game growing up was Baseball Stars. That game was incredibly ahead of its time - you could create custom players, and based on playing games earn money to improve the players in their skills. I recall a buddy and I would play nonstop with custom made all-star teams of the era.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Patrick N.

Gunsmoke, you should check it out...Jackal, Mario 2, Dodgeball, Excitebike, Double Dragon II, Superspike V-Ball, RC Pro-Am, Mega Mans, I could go on and on...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Gunsmoke, you should check it out...Jackal, Mario 2, Dodgeball, Excitebike, Double Dragon II, Superspike V-Ball, RC Pro-Am, Mega Mans, I could go on and on...
I already have most of those. I have more NES games than I do baseball cards, plus they are way cheaper!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Daryl

Default Stadium Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
...plus they are way cheaper!
Sometimes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200626343814
Old 08-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
A sealed copy of Stadium Events sold on eBay for $41,300 on eBay early last year so that guy's $500,000 asking price is a bit steep. Although, as far as I know, there are only two known factory sealed copies in existence and this isn't the same one that sold before so I guess if someone wants it bad enough they are going to have to pay up.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Apparently the guy had sold it for $30k, but I guess the winner didn't pay since it's back up with the $500k BIN price. At least I guess if I was to offer $30k it would get accepted!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM

earth worm jim all the way
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Another vote for baseball stars!!! Great game...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Another vote for baseball stars!!! Great game...
Maybe I need to pick that up for my NES collection. I just had the plain old Nintendo Baseball game as a kid so I never even played Baseball Stars.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Tim M

Not applicable to thread, but trying to remember the game I used to play, in the late 80s I think, where you went through a castle and proceded to the next screen, using quick moves, or you would fall off into fire. Was set up alongside my favorite Galaga.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
Not applicable to thread, but trying to remember the game I used to play, in the late 80s I think, where you went through a castle and proceded to the next screen, using quick moves, or you would fall off into fire. Was set up alongside my favorite Galaga.
Is this it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_lair
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Brandon Bailey

Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Metroid
Mega Man
For 1 player Baseball Stars
For Vs. RBI
I still bust mine out a couple of times per year. I brought it down for about 2 months to see if my Boys were ready for the Wii. Whenever one of my college roomates comes around we play a series of RBI.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Josh Margolin

Baseball stars all the way. My father still has the NES hooked up and we still play with our old teams from 20 plus years ago whenever I am home for a visit.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Michael S

Here's a vote for "Blades of Steel". The fights in that game were great.