NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Default How to avoid being someone else's "nice find"?

So I was reading one of the "nice find" posts that pop up from time to time, and I thought to myself, "Gosh, it sure would suck if someone else made a lot of money off my stuff after I die." I thought I would ask how all of you deal with this. Do you have another collector designated to sell your stuff? Do you have written instructions for your executor ("This stuff is worthless, this stuff should go to an auction house (in particular this one, with whom I've already made arrangements), don't throw this away under any circumstances, etc)? Do you plan to sell it all before you die so it's not an issue? Sorry if this is a bit grim, but I thought it might be useful not just for me but for others.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Ben North

I personally don't care if my stuff is used as fire starter or given away for free once I am dead. It is a hobby and any $ I spend on it is not needed for real life.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Anthony B

That was really funny about the fire starter lol or even as TP for the bathroom .... But in any shape or form this is a hobby but at the same time an investment. I would hope if I were to die that my hard work and fun hobby would be handed to someone who cares or sold for a good price for my family. Not to be thrown away.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I have a couple of spreadsheets that provide some guidance. I don't keep them completely up to date, but it will give them an idea that the 1987 Topps doesn't fall in the same category as the tobacco cards.

I'm slowly trying to pare down my actual collection so that they won't be left with a pile of 'stuff' to deal with. But I want them to be aware that there might be some 'value' with what is left and to what extent. What they DO with that is up to them. But I'm at least trying to impart some knowledge.

If I go before my better half, she'll be able to clue them in as to what is junk or not. Ideally if you have someone you want to leave it to, I would advise getting it to them BEFORE you die, assuming you can plan for that.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

My Father, who is currently 77, has given me most of his collection items and those that he hasn't, he has told me where they are.

I have shown my wife my collection, have shown her cards on here and A/H's to help give her an idea on my cards value.

I have also, periodically, when I have his attention, shown my son cards on here and A/H's as well as my collection.

Like my Father did for me, I also plan on giving my collection to my son when I get older or sell them if I have to to help pay for his education.

My son is smart with his money and showing him my cards, I have no worries he will just give them away or sell them for nothing.

I guess adding them to my Will wouldn't be a bad idea however just to ensure my son does get them.

Last edited by irv; 09-08-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Al Richter

" I hope that that when I die people say of me ' boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money ' ".... Jack Handey

I never spend anything on cards my family will need. They can sell it, burn it with me , or give it away

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-08-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
They can sell it, burn it with me , or give it away
Can I talk you into a note, instructing that your Puffy Sticker sheet (w/ Garvey) and 80 Topps Garvey Coin be sent my way? No sense in burning or giving them away, right?!!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Can I talk you into a note, instructing that your Puffy Sticker sheet (w/ Garvey) and 80 Topps Garvey Coin be sent my way? No sense in burning or giving them away, right?!!
Al, I've got dibs on that dead lizard you and Don found last winter.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
" I hope that that when I die people say of me ' boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money ' ".... Jack Handey

I never spend anything on cards my family will need. They can sell it, burn it with me , or give it away
Ditto

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 AM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
So I was reading one of the "nice find" posts that pop up from time to time, and I thought to myself, "Gosh, it sure would suck if someone else made a lot of money off my stuff after I die." I thought I would ask how all of you deal with this. Do you have another collector designated to sell your stuff? Do you have written instructions for your executor ("This stuff is worthless, this stuff should go to an auction house (in particular this one, with whom I've already made arrangements), don't throw this away under any circumstances, etc)? Do you plan to sell it all before you die so it's not an issue? Sorry if this is a bit grim, but I thought it might be useful not just for me but for others.
an interesting topic - one that may or may not have been discussed here before - but IMO it's definitely a legit topic for discussion.

personally, I've been thinking about such a situation, and I'm leaning towards - in the near future: 1, 2, 3 months (or years, of course, in an ideal situation) - unloading - at the right price - a sh!tload of my 'stuff' as I have no kids/family members who give a rats ass about the "stuff" I've acquired over the past 30 years...

while I'm honestly leery of 'predators/vultures' (no offense) that know I'm holding some cool stuff, should I die today/tomorrow/the next day, I'd personally rather set up my family/friends with my stuff - or myself for that matter - with some useful funds rather than having my sh!t wind up in probate or otherwise realizing 10-20 cents per dollar upon my (untimely or otherwise) demise...

sure, it's just "stuff", but it's the old generally-speaking sports adage "...I'd rather trade a player a year too early than a year too late" has to be factored into (responsible) decisions...

throw me a viable bone, and I'd rather find a suitable new home for my stuff than screw myself - or my family/friends when that day eventually comes.

JMO, and PM's (regarding anything anyone familiar with my type of holdings has coveted over the years) are always welcome, if not solicited!

p.s. - checkbook required , of course.

DS

Last edited by FourStrikes; 09-09-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 AM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:

Please don't burn the 82 Blackless set lol
Old 09-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
They can sell it, burn it with me , or give it away
I'll bring the marshmallows.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Al Richter

Bring some chocolate too, they like smores
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I hope to collect until I die, so there will likely be cards around at that point for my wife or daughter to deal with. They know who to call. That said, I do plan to whittle down the mass over the next several years. I haven't decided how to do it yet, other than opting to get rid of commons and sets in favor of specific cards I like from them, and doing a type card collection rather than sets.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Michael Skiles

Default What to do with cards after....

My wife goes with me to card shows and actually helps me look through the bargain bins for cards I need for the collection. She is well aware of what I have accumulated and I have catalogued and graded them accordingly. (I'm no professional but have a decent eye) The holders that the cards are in are cross referenced with stickers that match the spreadsheets. She also has met all of the vendors I have dealt with over the years. (They have all said call me the minute he dies...lol) They will do with them what they will. I want to collect as long as I can, I get to much enjoyment to stop.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 PM

I should be clear that the cards are not the main part of my daughter's inheritance by a longshot. I've got life insurance and stuff, so it's not like she'll be on the street if she doesn't get full value on the cards. But someone's going to get the money for the cards and I'd rather have it be her than some random dealer who hits her garage sale. No offense.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:

Al,
I have told my kids that they are not allowed to sell my cards. If they do, they have to give the money to charity. So, if you need someone to leave them to... I can promise you they will be in good hands!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I like the idea of doing a time capsule thing myself. Throw the 51 & 52 Mick in it and bury it really deep. Maybe in 50-100yrs it may be found and whammo!! Big Story and gets reported here on Net54. (LOL!!!)
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM
And*y Quig!ey

There are no collectors in my family, so I advise them to submit to PWCC everything I have that's graded, in a case in my display, or a complete set. Pack 'em up, ship 'em (insured), and you'll get a nice bit of cash.

Of course, they could keep anything they happen to want, and the rest would get circulated back out to the collecting community.

Last edited by ajquigs; 09-11-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default cards

I am planning on having a BIIIIIIIGGGGG! casket so I can take my cards with me. I feel sorry for the guy who has to dig the hole.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Archive

I told my wife that if I die before her that it was okay to remarry and her new husband could use my golf clubs. She informed me that he's left handed.

Seriously though, it is a good topic to think about. I had someone close to me die unexpectedly earlier this year with no living will. I had no clue what to do with their belongings.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM

I just wanted to kick this back up again. I'm glad I gave everyone a chance at some merriment (really I am) but I'm looking again for some solid advice here. I'm trying to type up an instruction sheet for my executor, but I would like to be sure to do it right. My collection is not world class, it's '50s to '70s, and mostly midgrade (by which I mean Ex or EXMt overall) although I do have some cards that are really sharp. Complete baseball sets from 1957 and 1968-84, hockey sets from the 70s and 80s, football sets from the 70s. I assume that that stuff should probably go to an auction house - is there one right now that you all would recommend? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Cool topic with some priceless comments...

A while back I actually had this discussion with a local card shop owner...and this person in real life is the salt of the earth, one of the best human beings I have ever met frankly. Crazy weird to say that about a shop owner as most fit the mold of the Simpson's "Comic Book Guy". Anyway, he told me if something ever happened God forbid, to have my wife bring my collection to him to handle. That would either be an estimated insurance value to keep, or to help sell. He said he has had this conversation with other like collectors, and this has happened before. I was the recipient once of a sudden collectors departure where the shop owner called his known vintage collectors that he trusted and we brokered a major purchase to me and it was clear the widow was well represented and over fairly dealt with. I 100% trust him and have told my wife to do just that.

While I am in the same boat as others, never spent a dime my family doesn't need and am well insured..but I also would like my collection dealt the respect it deserves.

Edit to add that I have also instructed my wife to donate half the money she would get back to said shop owner and his charities. Again, this guy deserves sainthood and for those living in the Washington area know exactly what I am talking about.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 03-20-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Curt

Got me curious now. I stopped searching for good local shops years ago, as it seemed to be a waste of time, but not even aware of any north of Seattle any more.

Is this closer to home for you or closer to Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Cool topic with some priceless comments...

A while back I actually had this discussion with a local card shop owner...and this person in real life is the salt of the earth, one of the best human beings I have ever met frankly. Crazy weird to say that about a shop owner as most fit the mold of the Simpson's "Comic Book Guy". Anyway, he told me if something ever happened God forbid, to have my wife bring my collection to him to handle. That would either be an estimated insurance value to keep, or to help sell. He said he has had this conversation with other like collectors, and this has happened before. I was the recipient once of a sudden collectors departure where the shop owner called his known vintage collectors that he trusted and we brokered a major purchase to me and it was clear the widow was well represented and over fairly dealt with. I 100% trust him and have told my wife to do just that.

While I am in the same boat as others, never spent a dime my family doesn't need and am well insured..but I also would like my collection dealt the respect it deserves.

Edit to add that I have also instructed my wife to donate half the money she would get back to said shop owner and his charities. Again, this guy deserves sainthood and for those living in the Washington area know exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited by mrmopar; 03-20-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I live north of Seattle, but the shop is south...DJ's Sportscards in Renton. Worth the drive for me...it's been around since the 80's, not too many survived.

It's literally the only shop I know of in Western Wa worth going into. Much like you I have given up...

Last edited by Harliduck; 03-20-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 AM
Steve

Default Preplanning

Quote:
I just wanted to kick this back up again. I'm glad I gave everyone a chance at some merriment (really I am) but I'm looking again for some solid advice here. I'm trying to type up an instruction sheet for my executor, but I would like to be sure to do it right. My collection is not world class, it's '50s to '70s, and mostly midgrade (by which I mean Ex or EXMt overall) although I do have some cards that are really sharp. Complete baseball sets from 1957 and 1968-84, hockey sets from the 70s and 80s, football sets from the 70s. I assume that that stuff should probably go to an auction house - is there one right now that you all would recommend? Thanks.

I am empathetic to your concerns because of my own situation as an older collector with no relatives or friends to leave my collection to. There is scant information or advice available to people as to how to preplan their own demise. I know of one major auction house that at least attempts to aid collectors in that regard, but I have not actually researched it sufficiently to make a recommendation: https://www.ha.com/information/estate-planning.s
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I have a list of items in my collection that are valuable enough to worry about, I want my family to get every penny they can.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Which side of the state do you live on? I live on the eastside. Not many shops in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

The kids are a bit young yet so they haven't really got an idea what they like. There's a lot of "stuff" I've collected, not just sports stuff, that I'm waiting on just in case they take an interest. Stuff that was pennies a few years ago, but won't be easily replaced either now or 20 years from now.

My wife has a pretty good idea of what the stuff is worth, especially the better stuff. I am beginning to offload a lot of the random junk, so the more interesting stuff isn't lost in the pile.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:25 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Which side of the state do you live on? I live on the eastside. Not many shops in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't know about anything over there...I'm a west sider, please don't hold that against me...

Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Just FYI our auction company is actually in the will of two collectors, and a number of other kids and spouses have been introduced to us. So it's not unusual, especially if you have a relationship with the company, to make plans with an auction house.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Curt

That is one of two I still go to, Card Exchange in north Seattle being the other. However, I mostly just buy supplies at CE now. DJs is hands down the best shop I am aware of locally now and like you, think it is worth the drive. I work in Tukwila though, so I am close during the week if I need a fix.

I was not sure if maybe you were talking about that one in Marysville and knew something I didn't! Went in once and have never been back.

Quote:
I live north of Seattle, but the shop is south...DJ's Sportscards in Renton. Worth the drive for me...it's been around since the 80's, not too many survived.

It's literally the only shop I know of in Western Wa worth going into. Much like you I have given up...
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Curt

I have thought about this subject more and more lately as I approach 50. My kids have no interest and although I still enjoy it, the more I see issues with counterfeiting, trimming and general fraud just to make a buck, the more discouraged I get with the whole mess. I would like to think that they would approach it smartly and try to learn and sell if necessary, but I do have a lot of stuff and not all of it is worth taking the time to go through. The thought of trying to go through it myself is overwhelming to me, so I can understand my wife and kids would not want to take the time.

I have been trying to organize a little bit here and there and ultimately would like to have the "good stuff" identified for easy sale. I have also started to stash away some business cards of larger eBay sellers and consignment sellers to give them some options w/o having to do research. If I can continue to organize and get everything the way I want it done before I kick it, then I will probably write up something along the way explaining where and what is worth spending time on.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:18 AM
Ke.vin G.ray

I am relatively young (40s) but have a wife and kids and have thought about this as well. I have a modest collection (sub 100k in value) but there is at least enough there that it is worth my wife's time to make sure that she doesn't get ripped off and that she maximizes what she and my kids get out of my collection, if for no other reason than to take a really nice vacation or get a new car out of the deal if I croak early. I have not only baseball cards, but some other collectibles that have only sentimental/collector value to me but have monetary value to others.

For my baseball cards, I have instructed my wife to talk to two of my friends who are also collectors, and who won't do anything to rip her off. They have agreed to help her dispose of the collection, and to help her achieve a fair market price for what is there. Much of my collection is unopened packs/boxes/cases, and so it is easy to move and will not pose a problem for disposal in fairly short order when I go.

For the collectibles, there are some items that are headed to a local museum. They are that rare, and need to be available for others to see. The rest of that body of assets have been viewed by another collector/former museum curator who knows their value and their rarity, and will be able to help my wife dispose of them in an appropriate way.

I think in this area, as in lots of other parts of life, it revolves around trust. You need to set up an appropriate outlet that will assist your heirs but one that you trust entirely to be fair not only due to their relationship with you, but out of respect for your heirs. No system is perfect, though, and undoubtedly someone will see their acquisition of your collection/items as a "find." That's not necessarily a bad thing. On the contrary, I would love to know that after I go, someone else would find as much happiness and amusement in the things I have enjoyed owning as I did.

kevin
Old 03-22-2019, 11:22 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
That is one of two I still go to, Card Exchange in north Seattle being the other. However, I mostly just buy supplies at CE now. DJs is hands down the best shop I am aware of locally now and like you, think it is worth the drive. I work in Tukwila though, so I am close during the week if I need a fix.

I was not sure if maybe you were talking about that one in Marysville and knew something I didn't! Went in once and have never been back.
I forgot about CE...haven't been in there in a couple of years...I have bought some vintage there in the past. I may have to stop for a visit.

Shop here in my town of Marysville is basically a "Magic" card shop or whatever...haha. We call it "stinkys" and at times I'll go there for supplies. They hold Magic (?) games during the day and the plays smells of serious BO...haha...gross. The owner is a super nice guy, but he certainly isn't interested in anything someone who visits this site would want.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM

This issue hits home to those of us who are older (I am 72, closer to 73) or who have had or who have health issues. I had a stent put in 4 years ago, and since then have looked at many things differently, not the least of which is my sports card collecting.
I do not wish to burden my family with disposing of my modest collection (mostly 50s baseball), and have thought, as Ted (gawaintheknight) has of what I may do or my family may do. I am friendly with some dealers in the Albany NY area, and have already talked with one about buying some of my collection.
Unfortunately, this has also impacted my collecting. For example, does it make sense to buy a $100 card now only to have to sell it for $30-40 in the future?
This is a real issue for some of us.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Curt

It is a real issue for anyone who cares about what might become of the things they have accumulated and thoroughly enjoyed (or loved) and although the odds are in the favor of living a decent amount of time, you just never know. Over the years I have seen a few members of boards like this die much younger than you'd expect. Sometimes it is a disease or sickness, but sometimes it is just a major stroke of bad luck. I saw recently that one of those killed in the Aurora, IL shooting several weeks back was an active hobbyist and frequented at least one board like this, maybe more. He was in his early 30s if I recall correctly. You just never know and unless you are extremely organized or have others who share the same concern and are willing to help, many of us will probably not be ready to direct someone properly when that time comes.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 PM
R!CK LYON$

Default Card shop

Hey John I remember driving you down to Lynnwood to pacific trading cards back when they were just a card shop before you could drive. Now that I’m old how about the next time you go to Renton you can drive me?
Rick
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 PM
Curt

I have great memories of Cramer's shop, but I think they are built up in my mind more now then when I would actually get to visit. We lived on Bainbridge Island, then Poulsbo at the time and only went to the Seattle side of the water close enough to stop when we'd visit my sister in Mountlake Terrace. I would have to beg my parents to stop by Pacific Trading Cards, when they were in that Perrinville location. I probably only actually made it there a handful of times over the years, but it was a big deal each time I made it. I got to meet Bob Feller there once and was on their mailing list for a few years and really enjoyed those old catalogs when they arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
Hey John I remember driving you down to Lynnwood to pacific trading cards back when they were just a card shop before you could drive. Now that I’m old how about the next time you go to Renton you can drive me?
Rick
Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sBaseball View Post
This issue hits home to those of us who are older (I am 72, closer to 73) or who have had or who have health issues. I had a stent put in 4 years ago, and since then have looked at many things differently, not the least of which is my sports card collecting.
I do not wish to burden my family with disposing of my modest collection (mostly 50s baseball), and have thought, as Ted (gawaintheknight) has of what I may do or my family may do. I am friendly with some dealers in the Albany NY area, and have already talked with one about buying some of my collection.
Unfortunately, this has also impacted my collecting. For example, does it make sense to buy a $100 card now only to have to sell it for $30-40 in the future?
This is a real issue for some of us.
Reading thru all the responses this question stood out most to me. As long as your family is financially set if something happens to you, I don't think it matters. As long as we are buying cards for the enjoyment of it, it shouldn't matter if a card goes up in value or down in value as the true value is the enjoyment we get out of it.

It's interesting to see this post and how many of us are thinking the same way. After a 6-7 year hiatus, I just got back in last year and have basically started over from scratch. While I don't plan to kick the bucket tomorrow(I'm 49), we never really know and as my collection has grown over the last year, I have been contemplating these same issues. My wife and daughters don't really care about the cards. Some interest in a card from time to time and I know they are all tired of hearing me ramble on about 62 Jell-O. Only my youngest, who is 16 has actually wanted to listen for more than 5 minutes. But, I recognize that I need to create spreadsheets of what I have with approximate values and keep them updated from time to time. My wife knows where I keep the "good stuff" and I have told her were to take that in the event of my demise. I think we probably all have tons of random stuff that may or may not have a ton of value that would be more difficult to get rid of. That's where I have to start "cleaning up". I would rather have one or two graded cards I enjoy than a 3200 count box of random stuff that is worth $1k for example. So even if I think I'm not going to get full value for the "junk" stuff, I might as well take what I can get for it now, put it in something that consumes less space and have something I like and is easier to sell later, if need be. (Sorry, think that last bit was just me talking to/convincing myself).
Anyhow, good post and great seeing every ones responses!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
I have great memories of Cramer's shop, but I think they are built up in my mind more now then when I would actually get to visit. We lived on Bainbridge Island, then Poulsbo at the time and only went to the Seattle side of the water close enough to stop when we'd visit my sister in Mountlake Terrace. I would have to beg my parents to stop by Pacific Trading Cards, when they were in that Perrinville location. I probably only actually made it there a handful of times over the years, but it was a big deal each time I made it. I got to meet Bob Feller there once and was on their mailing list for a few years and really enjoyed those old catalogs when they arrived.

Yes Rick!!! I would love to go down there with you! I do owe you some trips... We should get together soon and do some trading...just like the old days.

I was recently down in Perrinville and those memories came flashing back. I used to save my coins and and any money I could and have them look up commons I picked out of the Becket (early 80's) and drive the counter people nuts...all I really wanted was cards from early years. I too met Bob Feller there and got a few things signed...and he hit on my mom, it was a pretty weird day and memory...I bet we were there the same day. Small world!

Old 03-23-2019, 02:17 AM
Steve

Quote:
It is a real issue for anyone who cares about what might become of the things they have accumulated and thoroughly enjoyed (or loved) and although the odds are in the favor of living a decent amount of time, you just never know. Over the years I have seen a few members of boards like this die much younger than you'd expect. Sometimes it is a disease or sickness, but sometimes it is just a major stroke of bad luck. I saw recently that one of those killed in the Aurora, IL shooting several weeks back was an active hobbyist and frequented at least one board like this, maybe more. He was in his early 30s if I recall correctly. You just never know and unless you are extremely organized or have others who share the same concern and are willing to help, many of us will probably not be ready to direct someone properly when that time comes.

Reminded me of something that made an impression many years ago. In the 70's, I managed a retail electronics store that catered to hobbyists of many different stripes. One of my best customers was a guy in his late forties who was an avid model train enthusiast. As a fairly flush individual, he had probably tens of thousands invested in his hobby, and he was in the store placing an order for several hundred bucks worth of new supplies one day and spoke expansively of working with his young son on the new stuff. After his order arrived and had sat in will-call for a couple of weeks, I called his home and was told that he had died suddenly the week before. Massive coronary obstruction. It's hard to get that kind of thing out of your head when you're inclined to believe in your own immortality.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 AM

First, a response to Tim's response to my hypothetical question as to whether or not it makes sense to buy a card for $100 now knowing it may only sell for $30-40 in the future. Maybe I should have said in the "probable near" future, not suggesting that I intend to pass on soon, but meaning that I am close to selling most of my collection. Knowing that, I do not think I would get much enjoyment with a card over the short term.
Second, the initial purpose of this thread was to brainstorm how we are thinking about divesting our collections ourselves or what steps we are taking to assist our families. Personally, I plan to start selling off my collection soon, and hopefully it will help to pay for one year of a granddaughter's college education. I will sell the most valuable first, and I will eventually keep maybe 50-100 cards to pass on to our sons, not necessarily based only on value, but based on memories. I also plan to scan and print out as many cards as possible so that one day I can enjoy looking at binders of paper copies of my cards and not worry about their value. I also agree with the comment about sorting out one's collection and getting rid of less valuable (or worthless) cards. All will help the family in the long run.
Good thread.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The best way to avoid having your collection be a 'find' is to have friends in the hobby who are able and willing to help your family dispose of the collection. It may be as little as steering them to the right AH.

Also have to tout the benefits of TPG on the 'best' cards: it packages the information right with the card. No one is going to mistake a PSA 4 T206 Cobb for something else if it is in a PSA holder.

The best 'finds' are the products of ignorance on the part of the seller and on the part of the auctioneer. I love some AHs because I know they do not take the time to properly lot or index non-mainstream consignments. I've made really good money on that ignorance over the years. The only way to avoid that is to sell while you are alive. Otherwise, stuff will inevitably fall through the cracks. As I tell my wife, if I drop dead you will get a seven-figure life insurance payout, so don't worry about my crappy little card collection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sBaseball View Post
First, a response to Tim's response to my hypothetical question as to whether or not it makes sense to buy a card for $100 now knowing it may only sell for $30-40 in the future. Maybe I should have said in the "probable near" future, not suggesting that I intend to pass on soon, but meaning that I am close to selling most of my collection. Knowing that, I do not think I would get much enjoyment with a card over the short term.
Second, the initial purpose of this thread was to brainstorm how we are thinking about divesting our collections ourselves or what steps we are taking to assist our families. Personally, I plan to start selling off my collection soon, and hopefully it will help to pay for one year of a granddaughter's college education. I will sell the most valuable first, and I will eventually keep maybe 50-100 cards to pass on to our sons, not necessarily based only on value, but based on memories. I also plan to scan and print out as many cards as possible so that one day I can enjoy looking at binders of paper copies of my cards and not worry about their value. I also agree with the comment about sorting out one's collection and getting rid of less valuable (or worthless) cards. All will help the family in the long run.
Good thread.
Love the idea about scanning the cards that you have/had so you can at least enjoy what you have now. I didn't realize that you were at the point of selling your cards now. It's a tough call but a good decision. When my father passed a year and a half ago, we had to go thru all of the stuff left from his shop that he closed a few years ago that he wouldn't part with. It was basically a lot of stuff that was valuable in bulk but would take forever to sell individually. I wish he would have gotten rid of it before but he didn't need the money and my mom doesn't now so it's not a huge deal.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Curt

I think it was a one day, one off signing, so we likely were there same day. Would be weird of we were there at the same time too. I have a picture from the event, not that anyone would remember, but how funny would it be to see yourself in the photo too. There is another kid in the background.

Quote:
Yes Rick!!! I would love to go down there with you! I do owe you some trips... We should get together soon and do some trading...just like the old days.

I was recently down in Perrinville and those memories came flashing back. I used to save my coins and and any money I could and have them look up commons I picked out of the Becket (early 80's) and drive the counter people nuts...all I really wanted was cards from early years. I too met Bob Feller there and got a few things signed...and he hit on my mom, it was a pretty weird day and memory...I bet we were there the same day. Small world!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curt with Bob Feller copy.jpg (69.1 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by mrmopar; 03-23-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Tony

My father passed away unexpectedly in October at the age of 80. He was a type A personality, electrical engineer so very organized to say the least. All the financial records were extremely organized. Accounts, statements, passwords, etc all kept in a safe place just in case. He sat my brother and I down one weekend and went though everything line by line, just in case. The finances were simple to deal with and my mom is in very good shape.
What he didn’t account for is a large box of silver coins he’s been collecting for over 40 years. He never spoke about them in detail. We would talk vaguely about them and I never really asked the questions I should have when I had the chance. Don’t underestimate the significance of your collection to your loved ones. We can say toss it or the financial side of it doesn’t matter but it does. Your collection is a part of who you are and your loved ones will look at it as so. They may not say so now or even joke about it but once gone they will look for a connection. Make it as easy for them as possible. Through this I’m now tasked with learning about the coin hobby and coins back to the 1800s but also trying to figure out the significance each one may of had to my dad. It takes time but also keeps a connection to him alive.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
My father passed away unexpectedly in October at the age of 80. He was a type A personality, electrical engineer so very organized to say the least. All the financial records were extremely organized. Accounts, statements, passwords, etc all kept in a safe place just in case. He sat my brother and I down one weekend and went though everything line by line, just in case. The finances were simple to deal with and my mom is in very good shape.

What he didn’t account for is a large box of silver coins he’s been collecting for over 40 years. He never spoke about them in detail. We would talk vaguely about them and I never really asked the questions I should have when I had the chance. Don’t underestimate the significance of your collection to your loved ones. We can say toss it or the financial side of it doesn’t matter but it does. Your collection is a part of who you are and your loved ones will look at it as so. They may not say so now or even joke about it but once gone they will look for a connection. Make it as easy for them as possible. Through this I’m now tasked with learning about the coin hobby and coins back to the 1800s but also trying to figure out the significance each one may of had to my dad. It takes time but also keeps a connection to him alive.

This post really resonated with me. I have occasionally kicked around the idea of just selling everything. I may soon sell parts of my collection, but I have decided to keep my 71 - 76 sets to pass on to my kids. These are the sets that defined my childhood and I want my kids to have that connection. Inside each binder I have included a document that I typed up with important info about the specific set. More importantly, I also included information about why the set was so special to me as a kid. I want to make these sets a sort of “time capsule” of my childhood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 03-25-2019, 10:27 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Holy cow Curt...thats not me in the background, but that is exactly how I remember Mr. Feller. I think my parents took pictures as well, I will get over there and find them to post. We certainly were there the same day. I remember I was at the tail end of the event and he was getting cranky. Ripping on current players, hitting on my mom...I loved it...haha.

Thanks for digging out that picture!