NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Adam Napolitano

Do you have a time frame on when this would start?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy1525 View Post
I am currently on the lookout for a suitable grouping/set or lot(s). I am looking at pre-war baseball more than anything else. Once a set/group is acquired I will send it to Nick and off and away the game goes. I would expect 2-3 weeks, but it could be longer or shorter, as I want to make sure I get a good deal on whatever it is so our members can have some value in what they are doing. Still quite open to what cards it will be but I think some HOF'ers are a must and preferably pre-war since that is what this board is known for.
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy1525 View Post
No time frame yet. But likely the end of the month. We will definitely keep everyone posted.

-Nick
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocentral View Post
No time frame yet. But likely the end of the month. We will definitely keep everyone posted.

-Nick
We posted at the same time.....at least we are on the same page...
Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

i'm with those who said 41 play ball as a good choice. Honestly though price matters to me more than type of set, 55 topps would be a great lottery at the right price.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 PM

t205
or
1963 topps set

I like the idea of doing any set!
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase

Last edited by HalChaseCollector; 08-09-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Default I like this idea too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I don't see why it has to be just one set. Why not make it a bunch of cards from different sets. That way everyone has a chance of possibly getting one they want. OJ's all the way through 50's.
I like this idea too...perhaps a larger, jambalaya lot that you occasionally see from an auction company that consists of multiple cards from 3 to 8 or so different vintage sets. This lot would ideally have some star power to pull in even more participants.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Mark

Having never participated in one of these I'm very interested, particularly if we choose 1941 Play Ball.

My only question is, will we be limiting people to just one chance in order to get 72 different people involved? If a wealthy dealer decides he was to pony in for 25 places then that shuts out a lot of product and people who want to join.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Having never participated in one of these I'm very interested, particularly if we choose 1941 Play Ball.

My only question is, will we be limiting people to just one chance in order to get 72 different people involved? If a wealthy dealer decides he was to pony in for 25 places then that shuts out a lot of product and people who want to join.
All options for a group or set are on the table. My goal will be to get something with good value and that our members collect. I don't think there has been a bad suggestion yet. I probably want to stay with pre-war but that is not a definite. As for how many places each person will be allowed to buy, my idea is to let everyone buy one, then the leftovers can be doled out after that. Everyone should get a chance before members are allowed to buy more. My bigger concern is getting a group and not selling enough, leaving me with quite a few spots. At the end of it, if there are leftovers then I have no choice but to have them, since I will be footing the bill. The goal will be to sell every one to members and not have any leftover .
Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I'm definitely in for one and depending on the price (and if there are leftovers) possibly more than one.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
All options for a group or set are on the table. My goal will be to get something with good value and that our members collect. I don't think there has been a bad suggestion yet. I probably want to stay with pre-war but that is not a definite. As for how many places each person will be allowed to buy, my idea is to let everyone buy one, then the leftovers can be doled out after that. Everyone should get a chance before members are allowed to buy more. My bigger concern is getting a group and not selling enough, leaving me with quite a few spots. At the end of it, if there are leftovers then I have no choice but to have them, since I will be footing the bill. The goal will be to sell every one to members and not have any leftover .
I think that's a great idea Leon and I don't think you will be stuck with unsold slots. Perhaps give everyone a deadline to purchase one slot and then leave enough time after that for folks to buy as many additional slots as they like. If the price point is around $25-30/slot, I can see multiple members purchasing 4-5 slots each. If you are going with pre-war, I would suggest tying to keep the buy-in price to $30 or less, at least for this first go-'round. Once everyone gets a feel for the concept, I think people will be willing to put up more $$ per slot...

Just my 2 cents...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.

Last edited by wolf441; 08-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I think that's a great idea Leon and I don't think you will be stuck with unsold slots. Perhaps give everyone a deadline to purchase one slot and then leave enough time after that for folks to buy as many additional slots as they like. If the price point is around $25-30/slot, I can see multiple members purchasing 4-5 slots each.
Yeap, 20-30 each is the price point I am targeting. I am sure Nick will have some rules about buying them and I will leave that to him. I will happily give some guidance if he needs or wants any, but you guys get the idea. This is about having fun and someone(s) getting some nice cards for the money. This won't be exactly like gambling as everyone who plays will get a card. How much it's worth is the surprise part, of course.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM

I can't wait for this! Sorry if this has been asked earlier but when will the set be decided?
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase
Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Leon,

I really like the idea of a "shoebox draft" where there are cards from tons of different sets. At H&S those are our most popular lots and I think it would draw more interest, particularly for those who are not enamored with a T205, 1955 Topps, 1941 Play Ball set (for example).

Last edited by Orioles1954; 08-10-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Nick C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mays Hayes View Post
I can't wait for this! Sorry if this has been asked earlier but when will the set be decided?
My guess is the set will be decided in about a week or two. We are still interested in hearing everyone's suggestions.

-Nick
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Love the idea and love the fact that Leon is donating money towards his cause. Great stuff.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
John Hanssen

Love the shoe box idea!!!!!!!!

It could lead to Ts, Ws, Rs, Ds, Ms, minor league cards.

Maybe it would lead to some great trades or sells on b/s/t.

Last edited by nebboy; 08-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
Love the shoe box idea!!!!!!!!

It could lead to Ts, Ws, Rs, Ds, Ms, minor league cards.

Maybe it would lead to some great trades or sells on b/s/t.
+1 love this idea as well!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

I am most definitely in, at the $25-50 range. I would prefer a pre-war, or a shoebox, as also suggested. 1941 Play Ball is a great set choice, but it seems to me the slots would sell out fast. Maybe add some of the paper issue to the list to add a few more opportunities?

Ed

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-10-2014, 02:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I find it very important, as others have noted, too, that you structure the process so the most people possible get an opportunity to be included. Definitely only allow one entry per person until a certain timeframe (a day or two) passes by…and then you can buy as many slots as your heart desires.

If you make payment via paypal friends & family (or whatever it's now called), then making multiple purchases over a couple of days won't extract additional fees and what not.

A suggestion. Perhaps if you guys determine the buy prices on a couple of the sets you're targeting (that fall within the price range you are seeking), you can then list those sets here and people could specifically vote on which one they would like you to use for the group break?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I'm definitely in for a card or three in the 25-50 buck range. I collect everything so I can get into most any set. Kinda like the shoebox idea or one of the play ball sets.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Zach T

Thanks Leon and Nick for this great idea! I can't wait until this goes live as I think it will be a great success for the site.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I find it very important, as others have noted, too, that you structure the process so the most people possible get an opportunity to be included. Definitely only allow one entry per person until a certain timeframe (a day or two) passes by…and then you can buy as many slots as your heart desires.

If you make payment via paypal friends & family (or whatever it's now called), then making multiple purchases over a couple of days won't extract additional fees and what not.

A suggestion. Perhaps if you guys determine the buy prices on a couple of the sets you're targeting (that fall within the price range you are seeking), you can then list those sets here and people could specifically vote on which one they would like you to use for the group break?
Since this is so fluid of a buy, and I am being more opportunist than normal, I doubt we can take a vote about what exact set/group to get. This thread is about as far as I think I want to go in involving member input. It only makes sense to get what most people enjoy, within the confines that have been laid out. All good suggestions so far. And yes, a hodgepodge of cards isn't ruled out.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Sean Brennan

colgans would be fun!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Dustin Bellinger

I normally just lurk around here enjoying the discussions and trying to learn but love this idea and would definitely want a slot.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Great idea. I would like the T206 set, but a subset will be much more manageable.
This a subset for t206 would be awesome
Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matvoo View Post
This a subset for t206 would be awesome
Would love t206s...but I wouldn't mind settling for 1941 Play Ball. Even if I don't collect them. That or some 1915 Cracker Jacks...idk how that would work considering there are some expensive cards. What about E cards?
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 AM

As a side note, a t206 break could be arranged in the 40 to 50 price point, and t205s (if a set could be found) in the same, maybe cheaper
Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 AM
pete ullman

I love the idea of a shoebox...or a vintage set...exhibits would be cool.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Jay Shelton

Maybe too late to chime in, but would be interested in:

Prewar:
1940 Playball
T201
1939 Playball

Postwar:
1952 Bowman
1955 Topps Doubleheaders
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Bob Donaldson

Leon

I'm in. I trust your judgement. This should be fun

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Diamond Stars would be a great one or even 1934 Goudey. Alot of HOFers.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Nick C

Keep the post coming. Thank you to all for the input.

-Nick
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Did this idea die? Did I miss it? Did a set get decided?

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-29-2014, 04:06 AM
Rich Klein

I suggested to Leon when I saw an auction currently running about several post-war sets which would were available reaonably and he indicated to me that he would much rather run pre-war (which makes sense)

However, I think some of the sets I mentined, would be great for this and I hope he reconsiders

Rich
Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM

To make it a pre-war set and yet one where the value is spread out nicely can be tough... but I would suggest one of the Games. 1936 S&S, 1913 Tom Barker, 1913 National Game, 1914 Polo Grounds - they are completely loaded with Hall of Famers so instead of 1-2 people getting one big card, many people would get a nice HOF card. Would also keep the cost per person down. You'd still have a few higher end hits like a National Game Joe Jackson.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GehrigFan View Post
To make it a pre-war set and yet one where the value is spread out nicely can be tough... but I would suggest one of the Games. 1936 S&S, 1913 Tom Barker, 1913 National Game, 1914 Polo Grounds - they are completely loaded with Hall of Famers so instead of 1-2 people getting one big card, many people would get a nice HOF card. Would also keep the cost per person down. You'd still have a few higher end hits like a National Game Joe Jackson.
Thanks Mark......certainly something to keep in mind. I am high bidder on one lot right now so we will see. It's not too easy as once I bid on one lot I have to be careful not to buy another one if I am bidding for the same purpose......I am still hot on the trail though. Thanks for everyone's patience.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Just catching up on this...i love the idea of a 'mixed bag'. Like one guy said, it gets ALL of us interested in this. Not knowing what you can get will be interesting indeed. I am more post-war, but i wouldnt mind getting a piece of pre-war.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Just catching up on this...i love the idea of a 'mixed bag'. Like one guy said, it gets ALL of us interested in this. Not knowing what you can get will be interesting indeed. I am more post-war, but i wouldnt mind getting a piece of pre-war.
I can't say what but my high bid right now is a tiny bit post war.......I am really just looking for a real good value where there are some HOF'ers and some quantity so everyone can play. I am not just buying the first thing out there.....
Old 09-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I can't say what but my high bid right now is a tiny bit post war.......I am really just looking for a real good value where there are some HOF'ers and some quantity so everyone can play. I am not just buying the first thing out there.....
40s Exhibt set perhaps?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm new to this forum but I'd be in for the break. 41 play ball and 51 bowman both sound good.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm new to this forum but I'm in for the break. 41 play ball or 51 bowman sound good
Old 09-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

Default I'm in

I think Play Ball would be the best value but would be happy with anything you choose.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Louie Michaud

Yeah, hopefully it's not too late for input. If it is, I'm simply in for the idea. If it's not, I'd suggest 47-66 exhibits, bowman 49-51, or t206
Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. I am actively looking for the right set. If it is not Pre-War it will be a set with a lot of good HOF'er cards. It will definitely be vintage. Hopefully I will have another update soon.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default '54 Topps

Thanks to Sterling Sports Auctions for auctioning the set we will be breaking. While it's not pre-war, it's close. More details soon......

http://sterlingsportsauctions.com/Lo...entoryid=26154

Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Great deal Leon! I can't wait to participate... so many options for a winner, great rookies
Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 AM

Default All in

Even though I do not collect post-war I'm still in...plenty of nice opportunities for us, and not a bad looking set of cards. Thanks Leon, and let's make this fun

Brian
Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Even though I do not collect post-war I'm still in...plenty of nice opportunities for us, and not a bad looking set of cards. Thanks Leon, and let's make this fun

Brian
I know Brian......I really did want Pre-War but it was just taking so long. I had to consider so many things and at the end of it I wanted something that was a good value (I think this probably was), is definitely vintage (it is) and had some high end cards that are possibilities. Plus the cost per chance couldn't be too high either. I need to pay for it and get it shipped to Nick and we can go from there.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Nice

Tough to complain about any of the great 1950s sets getting the nod here! Thanks Leon, I am looking forward to participating.
T206 back run: 21/38