NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Any time that you see a Leaf card with true white in the name that doesn't match the border, it is the sure sign of a fake. What cracks me up is that we used to "age" reprints when I was a kid, took a lot of pride in it, and I think some of those might be better than the ones in the pictures.

That said, fakes are getting REALLY good now. I took a flyer on a Ramly that I found at an antique shop and it is 100% fake. My spidey-sense was screaming that the T204 and a Sports King were both fake based on the stock and weight, but for $20 a piece I thought I would take a flyer. As soon as I got home and took another look at them I realized that I had burned $40. Bring a loop, go with your gut. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck...
I've gotten real good at spotting fake Sports Kings as that was the first set I completed. I got to know what to look for as far as the real ones.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:06 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I've gotten real good at spotting fake Sports Kings as that was the first set I completed. I got to know what to look for as far as the real ones.
I should have phoned the board for a consult. Instead I am out $20 and feel dirty for getting duped on them.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:28 PM
Al Stein

$500 for reprints of 100 of the top all time baseball cards is not really a bad deal though. Most of those cards, you are never going to have a chance to get the real thing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2024, 03:35 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
$500 for reprints of 100 of the top all time baseball cards is not really a bad deal though. Most of those cards, you are never going to have a chance to get the real thing.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I’m sure the OP’s buddy will gladly sell them to you.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:59 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Known counterfeit/fake cards should be destroyed so the next " Flea Market buyer" is not taken.. There are so many new collectors at the random Fleas that are just not too knowledgeable about Vintage cards..
Old 04-10-2024, 05:22 PM
Richie Harris

Default New member seeking mlb managers autographs

edited as I don't know what I am doing....signed - me

Last edited by Leon; 04-10-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No longer pertinent. And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-10-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:43 PM
Sam F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Known counterfeit/fake cards should be destroyed so the next " Flea Market buyer" is not taken.. There are so many new collectors at the random Fleas that are just not too knowledgeable about Vintage cards..
That's exactly what I'm asking him to do. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:48 PM
J0sh.ua Le0nard

The Ty Cobb back is real. The rest are fake.

What a shame
Old 04-10-2024, 08:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

In many years of hitting every flea market, antique fair, swap meet, paper fair, postcard show, etc., I've found exactly four prewar baseball cards, two T206 and two Pinkerton scorecards. One T206 was at the bottom of a box of other stuff, so the seller and I did not even know it was there. The other one, the seller knew generally what it was and priced it accordingly but it was priced as a Piedmont back when it was an Old Mill, so I bought it for my collection. The Pinkertons were at my very first paper fair, about 15 years ago, and they were priced at 10% of market. Other than that, nada. Lots of laughable fakes, though.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-10-2024 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:12 PM
Bryan Walde

I would saunter back by their booth in the near future and see if they have any more "treasures" for sale... If so... bet they are some of the same ones...
Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

I got taken for these umpteen years ago. Thankfully I only paid a couple bucks each for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ballboard.jpg (197.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Ballboard2.jpg (249.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
In many years of hitting every flea market, antique fair, swap meet, paper fair, postcard show, etc., I've found exactly four prewar baseball cards, two T206 and two Pinkerton scorecards. One T206 was at the bottom of a box of other stuff, so the seller and I did not even know it was there. The other one, the seller knew generally what it was and priced it accordingly but it was priced as a Piedmont back when it was an Old Mill, so I bought it for my collection. The Pinkertons were at my very first paper fair, about 15 years ago, and they were priced at 10% of market. Other than that, nada. Lots of laughable fakes, though.
I love to walk fleas and antique shows whenever possible and completely agree, baseball items are impossible at less than double the value in most circumstances. I’ve found several things at outlandish prices, I pass 99% of the time. I actually have done well in other sports at times and vintage non sport items. One of my better days was asking vendors if they had any vintage sports items.

One vendor said that he had bought a large autograph collection but didn’t know a lot about them and slid out a large box. I was with my son and I just poked around the papers. I am not fantastic on autographs but just better than a hack, lol. I look at everything side-eyed and use clues.

Maybe just 4 minutes into the box I pulled out a perfect Lincoln Mercury Jesse Owens 5”x8” piece signed beautifully in the sweet spot and no personalization. I knew that piece well because it was on my want list. There was no doubt it was real and I asked for a price to see what I was getting into with this dealer. He looked at it and said twenty bucks in a questioning way. I tampered my excitement and said that was fair and kept digging out winners. Every thing was good in his stuff and I was overjoyed but mad I didn’t bring more cash. I spent the 300 in my pocket and still have most of it 5 years later.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.