NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Ok what do you think? This can't be a PSA 2!

I'm sure most here are more versed in the nuance of PSA's grades than I, so I want to know your thoughts on whether I should pay the $150 to have this card reviewed. For the life of me, (especially after comparing to my other cards) can't figure out how this is only a "2". The corners are fairly sharp. There's no staining. Centering looks 85/15 or better. All good except for the one crease.
Here's what the website says for a PSA 4: card's corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
I'm thinking it's gotta a shot for a 4! What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner68psa2.jpg (77.9 KB, 630 views)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Luke Lyon

This does look like a lot of PSA 4s. But it looks like a lot of SCG 35s too. Nice card either way.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Ken McMillan

Looks like a crease on the front right side of the card. Probably the reason for the good 2 rating
Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Bill Gregory

I agree that the big crease in the upper right corner, another tiny crease above the 'A' in Cracker, and to a lesser extent the centering, have lowered the grade on the card. You might bump the card a half grade, but I don't see it getting a 4. Save your money, imho. It's a beautiful card.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Doug Franz

That is a beautiful card at any rate. Very nice.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

That's a significant crease on the right side of the card and it's one of a few. Merits a 2 in my opinion, I wouldn't resubmit.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 AM
James R. Hill

Beautiful card A.J. and without the usual product staining of the 14's.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Eric Pugh

Default congrats!

that right there is one helluva fantastic card - nice pick up!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Technically graded correctly. My perfect kind of card to buy- Low technical grade and really great aesthetic appeal. Who cares about the number except for the registry collectors?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Tom Prince

AJ, when it comes to the 1914's, all bets are off with PSA. I have the complete set, and I have 2's that look like 4's and I have 4's that could be 1's. It all depends on who submits them, among other things. I would seriously hold off on resubmitting it. As Leon points out, you have a great looking card there. Mission accomplished. As for the grade, you have your entire life to think thru whether or not to regrade. No rush at all. Besides, there is no rhyme or reason with TPG. Look at the Caldwell you got from me and the one you sold. Those grades made little sense. Expect the same nonsense again from Psa.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Barry

AJ,

I wouldn't want you to suffer through life with such a low grade card in your collection. Let me do you a service and take it off your hands !

Beautiful card and great acquisition!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Matt

PSA seems to be grading much stricter than their stated grade definitions this year (and it appears going forward). The prevailing vibe I get, and this is just based on my own experience and that of a handful of buddies who submit and review quite often, is that they are getting stricter and stricter. Going by those definitions on their site, I've encountered many cards with harsh grades this year. Just an observation that might help manage expectations and thus potentially avoid disappointment. I do think the stricter grading is resulting in many great cards in lower-grade holders for collectors to obtain, and such value for the technical grade is a good thing. That card is outstanding for the grade and hits the eye like a much higher technical grade card. Must have been a fantastic feeling to get that baby for anything near the going rate for 2s. Congrats on an awesome piece.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My perfect kind of card to buy- Low technical grade and really great aesthetic appeal. Who cares about the number except for the registry collectors?
Just read this post; could not say it better. Right on.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
PSA seems to be grading much stricter than their stated grade definitions this year (and it appears going forward). The prevailing vibe I get, and this is just based on my own experience and that of a handful of buddies who submit and review quite often, is that they are getting stricter and stricter. Going by those definitions on their site, I've encountered many cards with harsh grades this year. Just an observation that might help manage expectations and thus potentially avoid disappointment. That card is outstanding for the grade and hits the eye like a much higher technical grade card. Must have been a fantastic feeling to get that baby for anything near the going rate for 2s. Congrats on an awesome piece.

If you submit for review, for example, a PSA 4.5 and it doesn't bump, how does that translate into PSA must be getting stricter? Seems to me that they are grading the same. Especially considering, that they may have already bumped the card a half grade already.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Matt

I do get the insinuation/assumption, but I am basing my observation on the strictness of their grading on a couple of friends. Two of whom routinely sub hundreds of raw cards a month, and the other two have reviewed about fifty very high-end pieces this year. I have held a couple of those reviews in hand, and even an ex grader with a conservative eye whom we all speak to said past grading regimes would likely have bumped the strongest of those review candidates, hence the vibe that things are tighter as of late. When it comes to my own cards, I am not much of a reviewer, actually, since I don't do much Registry stuff for GPA and don't sell much unless going after a big piece; I am a big fan of the card over holder philosophy (as evinced by all my lower-grade stuff

Last edited by MattyC; 06-21-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Mr. Johnson,

I know that we as a "Collective Community", can sometimes be a bit facetious. With that said, and I do mean this with All Sincerity...

There's Only 2 Things wrong with Your Mr. Wagner:

1. He's Not Mine.

2. He's Not Dressed for Success! He needs a bit of Black to go along with All that Red... I do Believe that SGC can Help You out... And put him into some Slick Attire!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
I do get the insinuation, but I am basing my observation on the strictness of their grading on a couple of friends. Two of whom routinely sub hundreds of raw cards a month, and the other two have reviewed about fifty very high-end pieces this year. I have held a couple of those reviews in hand, and even an ex grader with a conservative eye whom we all speak to said past grading regimes would likely have bumped the strongest of those review candidates.
Not insinuating anything other than your logic seems faulty. Most everyone that submits cards for review believes the cards deserve a bump. If they do not bump that indicates to me PSA is grading the same.

I know three friends who submit to PSA hundreds of cards a month. They seem to think the grading standards are about the same. So I guess our anecdotal evidence is a tie.

To come to your conclusion, PSA would have to start downgrading many cards which we know they won't do.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Alex

Great looking card but that is a wicked crease.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

The failure of a card to bump means only that they aren't grading easier. It could be consistent with grading the same or grading tougher.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I too believe

They are grading very strict on 8-10. Below that I feel they are fairly accurate on the 1-5 grades. It's the 6-7 that have a lot if gorgeous cards that one time would have been lock 8s.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
They are grading very strict on 8-10. Below that I feel they are fairly accurate on the 1-5 grades. It's the 6-7 that have a lot if gorgeous cards that one time would have been lock 8s.
Or at least a 7?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle56.jpg (77.8 KB, 204 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Here's an unbelievable 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_spaeth View Post
or at least a 7?
56 Mantle PSA4.jpg
1956 Mantle PSA4 back.jpg
Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Matt

That Mantle is outstanding! I don't know (and definitely wouldn't care!) if there is any issue in-hand that needs a loupe to see, which holds it back from a 7+. A stupendous buy for anything near average 6.5 money. Haven't looked at the 6s on VCP but I have to imagine that blows most if not all of them out of the water.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-22-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That Mantle is outstanding! I don't know (and definitely wouldn't care!) if there is any issue in-hand that needs a loupe to see, which holds it back from a 7+. A stupendous buy for anything near average 6.5 money. Haven't looked at the 6s on VCP but I have to imagine that blows most if not all of them out of the water.
I never even bothered honestly, didn't much care either.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Sebastian

Last edited by sebie43; 06-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Bill Gregory

Peter, that Mantle is gorgeous! What a great pick up!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Looks like a crease on the front right side of the card. Probably the reason for the good 2 rating
Bingo!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
They are grading very strict on 8-10.
I'm not sure I am buying in to that. I will give an example of a 1952 Topps card I have that is a 9 o/c, falls within the 9 guidelines on the front, and misses on the back. According to the PSA population report, there are only 2 of this card graded a 9 and both have qualifiers. Imagine my surprise when I randomly checked the population report, and now a straight 9 is graded. So, out of the blue a 1952 Topps card appears and grades a 9? My guess is an 8 was resubmitted and got a nice jump in grading. It pays to keep high volume submitters happy.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Please one card?

A mint 9 on a 1952 Topps does not mean they are getting easier. Ever hear of the Rosen 1952 Topps find or the fact that unopened 1952 packs were not the toughest thing in the world in the late 80's thru mid 90's (not saying they were easy, but they existed)(Usually low or mid series). There are mint 1952 Topps out there that were never graded. Also one example really does not sway an argument that they are not being tougher. I have submitted about a thousand cards this year, how many have you? I also speak to many of the major dealers, I am friends with for over 25 years, and they echo my sentiments. You can believe what you want based on them grading one card a mint 9 but you would be wrong.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-23-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

4 sharp has 62,000 psa 10s. Wonder what he thinks.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
4 sharp has 62,000 psa 10s. Wonder what he thinks.
He must be a frequent flyer in the ER with paper cuts.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM
A.J. Johnson

strangly enough the crease is very hard to see with the naked eye and the scan happened to magnify it. Crease not withstanding the other positives of the card I think would outweigh the crease downgrade and get at least a 3 and possible 4. I live in Los Angeles and it's an hour drive to PSA HQ in Irvine. They have a same day review for $150. I'm going to do it next month and let you all know what happens!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Unless you are selling it why drive two hours and spend $150 for the possibility of getting a 3 instead of a 2?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 PM
A.J. Johnson

@peter_spaeth mostly because I think it deserves a higher grade. no plans to sell...but then again you never know! If I get a 3, would trade someone for a 2 + something else...etc.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

What if u get a 1.5?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
@peter_spaeth mostly because I think it deserves a higher grade. no plans to sell...but then again you never know! If I get a 3, would trade someone for a 2 + something else...etc.
If it doesn't come back higher you can just submit it again!! And if you really get good at it maybe you can just set up an EFT from your bank account to theirs. It's more efficient that way.

and btw, I have never heard of an @peter_spaeth.... On this board he merely goes by Peter Spaeth. I go by Leon Luckey, the technical person and moderator for Net54baseball is Brian McQueen..my auction partner goes by Scott Brockelman,......you get the idea..

Last edited by Leon; 06-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Glyn Parson

Default peter

i would hope he would say it is tighter than in the past. i would unfortunately not bet on it. my posts when referring to any grading service are about the average submitters submissions, unless otherwise noted.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
i would hope he would say it is tighter than in the past. i would unfortunately not bet on it. my posts when referring to any grading service are about the average submitters submissions, unless otherwise noted.
Yeah, in the good old days it might have been 75,000 10s. Times are hard.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

and btw, I have never heard of an @peter_spaeth.... On this board he merely goes by Peter Spaeth. I go by Leon Luckey, the technical person and moderator for Net54baseball is Brian McQueen..my auction partner goes by Scott Brockelman,......you get the idea..
The @ is used to indicate a comment is directed at a specific person.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
A mint 9 on a 1952 Topps does not mean they are getting easier. Ever hear of the Rosen 1952 Topps find or the fact that unopened 1952 packs were not the toughest thing in the world in the late 80's thru mid 90's (not saying they were easy, but they existed)(Usually low or mid series). There are mint 1952 Topps out there that were never graded. Also one example really does not sway an argument that they are not being tougher. I have submitted about a thousand cards this year, how many have you? I also speak to many of the major dealers, I am friends with for over 25 years, and they echo my sentiments. You can believe what you want based on them grading one card a mint 9 but you would be wrong.
Thanks for your insight Glyn. I have been involved in collecting for 35 years or so, and yes I have heard of the Rosen find. Most of us have I imagine. I'm not sure why how many cards I have submitted for grading has anything to do with why I think that PSA, from time to time, will give a bump on a card to a volume submitter. For the record I have not submitted any cards for grading, again, not that that really matters. ? Your background and expertise I'm sure is vast, and with the circle of friends you travel in, you and they certainly have your fingers on the pulse of the hobby / business much more than I do. I have enjoyed your comments on the board in the past, and will in the future as well.