NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default BF2 Choices.....Wags or Jackson?

So if you could keep one or the other which would you keep, and why? (the Wags has a blank back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbf2wagner.jpg (33.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg pbf2jackson.jpg (83.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Leon,

If I had to keep one, it would be the Jackson. Wagner is available on so many more issues. Plus I like the fact that the Jackson has the factory tag on the back.

The Wagner is a little bit cleaner, but I think the higher value would lie with the Jackson. Plus, you can always trade with me for the Wagner

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 08-26-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Leon,

The Wagner is a little bit cleaner, but I think the higher value would lie with the Jackson. Plus, you can always trade with me for the Wagner

Mike
LOL....thanks Mike....I am sure I will keep one or the other. Neither are for sale now. It's not like I am going for a set of them. I am leaning towards the Jackson also but it's great to get other ideas. best regards
Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 AM
marty

Joe Jackson....
purely for its mystical powers!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Johnny S

Joe Jackson, such an iconic story of an American tradegy played out like a Greek play, also available on dvd.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Tony Quinn

Default 2 sides of the coin (or quarter)

Leon, this may or may not help but: if you keep the Wagner and sell the Jackson, you'll get more in return to buy more stuff and still have a great Wagner piece. If you keep the Jackson and sell the Wagner, you'll get less in return but you'll have the best penant in the set. Looks like you win either way!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Keep the Jackson - great pose.

Normally I prefer Wagner over Jackson any day of the week -
but that is one of my least favorite Wagner poses.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

I would definitely prefer the Jackson over the Wagner.

1. Jackson is available in far fewer sets than Wagner

2. The factory tag is very cool.

3. Maybe it's OCD of me, but I like the straight edges/cut of the Jackson versus the wavy cut of the Wagner.

Regardless, they are both incredibly beautiful pieces! Never seen either of those before; thanks for sharing.

PS: I am looking for Buck Herzog or Ivy Wingo from this set if anyone has them available.

Last edited by peterose4hof; 08-26-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Keep the Jackson as it appears from the scan that the Wagner may have been sewn at one time (the uneven outside borders & it seems like I can see stitch holes (but it is tough to see these in the scan sometimes)). Were they in the same condition I would still probably have gone with the Jackson.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Tom Boblitt

Having seen them both first hand in your booth....no brainer........Jackson. Jackson is a much tougher pennant in the set. More Wagners out there from what I've seen. And agree with Rhett as there appears to be some wavyness to the Wags. Also the tab on the back is the coup-de-gras..........
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Brad Hollister

What's up with the white border around Jackson? That really ruins eye appeal for me. And I am biased when I say keep the Wagner.

B
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Jeff

Default Wags..........but

Normally I would say keep the Wags as I think that most Jackson/Black Sox stuff is vastly overhyped and valued, but the Wags looks to may have been part of a stitched piece before so in this instance I would probably keep the Jax. If both were clean, with centered photos and the like - I would keep the Wags.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Michael S

Wags for me. The JJ pic appears to be miscut? But boy does JJ stuff sell for good money. Sell it, get the farm and still have a nice Wags in the collection.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default however

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Wags for me. The JJ pic appears to be miscut? But boy does JJ stuff sell for good money. Sell it, get the farm and still have a nice Wags in the collection.
I agree the JJ picture looks to be miscut but that doesn't bother me too much. The other borders are so large, relative to others I see, that there is no doubt it is in fact a factory miscut. So far, the reasons I like the JJ are:

1. More scarce as a BF2
2. the back tab is really neat and as a type it is sort of needed
3. I can resell the Wags and recoup a good chunk of change
4. I have fewer JJ's in my collection, overall

Reasons I would keep Wags instead.

1. Better quality picture.
2. The backing (felt) is a better color than white.
3. Less costly so could recoup more if I sell Wags.

I am still leaning towards the JJ but the other observations are certainly relevent and something to consider. Thanks to all who have responded so far and keep the comments coming.....
Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Clayton

I'd go with the Jackson- all of the reasons have already been stated

Clayton
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Todd Schultz

Actually, the JJ picture is not miscut--the picture was simply glued off center onto the pennant's white box background. The actual photo is just fine--compare to this one in past REA auction:

The off center pic placement happens alot with this issue, and doesn't really detract much, IMO.

I would probably keep the Joe Jax--the factory tag is a nice touch. I agree with others who say that the wavy or somewhat scalloped edges of the Wagner is often a sign that it has been sewn into something else. Still a nice piece.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Actually, the JJ picture is not miscut--the picture was simply glued off center onto the pennant's white box background. The actual photo is just fine--compare to this one in past REA auction:

The off center pic placement happens alot with this issue, and doesn't really detract much, IMO.

I would probably keep the Joe Jax--the factory tag is a nice touch. I agree with others who say that the wavy or somewhat scalloped edges of the Wagner is often a sign that it has been sewn into something else. Still a nice piece.
After this comment I looked closer and you are absolutely correct, Todd. The picture was glued off center and is not miscut. Thanks for the input. I am not really a purist, or a condition sensitive person, so the fact the Wags might have been sewn before doesn't bother me, though I realize it does bother many BF2 collectors. (Yes, Jay, it does seem like there are a few collectors of these ) BTW, who knows what the tag was for?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
[ piece.
Thanks Todd for setting that straight. I still think it gives the appearance of a 100/0 O/C card but to each thier own

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 08-26-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: reword
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Tom Boblitt

Lots of the BF2's have photos glued on off centered. I would still take the Jackson with the off centered photo versus the jaggedness of the Wagner border. That's almost always a deal breaker for me on BF2's. To each his own though. Some of the jagged lined ones sell for big bucks on ebay. Not even the really tough ones too.

Last edited by autograf; 08-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL-Good luck with those Leon!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
James Gallo

The staining and the discoloration of the tip would drive me nuts, so I would sell that Jackson and I mainly collect Jackson stuff. The wags just presents better IMO.

James G
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Jeff

Default Jax or Wags

Leon,
All in all, this is a very nice problem to have.