NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 AM

Default Mystery regarding John McLean T205 front solved

The facsimile signature on John "Larry" McLean's T205 has always been puzzling for me.

It clearly shows M.A. McLean not J.B. McLean. Although often called "Larry" McLean, his birth name was John Bannerman McLean.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cleala01.shtml

While searching eBay this week, I believe I have stumbled onto a item which sheds light on where the confusion may have occurred regarding the front of the McLean T205.

During the same time period, there was a baseball sports writer based out of Chicago, and writing for the Chicago Record Herald...Malcolm MacLean.

Here is a scan of his Baseball Writers' Association of America Pass addressed to... M. A. MacLean.

Now we know perhaps the rest of the story!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball writers pass.jpg (74.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg McLean T205.jpg (43.4 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg T205 back.jpg (39.0 KB, 404 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 06-14-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 AM
John Hanssen

Nice work -
Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Paul

So the T205 writers were confused about the guy's name?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Cory

I was always under the impression many of the T205 signatures were not truly the players'. If they were unable to get a players signature they signed it. Likely just messed it up?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I would lean towards the artist just messing it up...since the M.A. MACLean is still not McLean...good detective work but not sure it really holds up.

Joshua
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I think it could be a combination of both. Someone made up the signature with this M.A. MacLean in mind but not only got the person wrong but the spelling of the wrong MacLean....which happened to be correct for the right McLean.

Which was wrong.

Right?

Tom C
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
I would lean towards the artist just messing it up...since the M.A. MACLean is still not McLean...good detective work but not sure it really holds up.

Joshua
agreed...
Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Todd Schultz

I think if you look at it a particular way you can say that "signature" is busy enough to have an "a" in it- MacLean.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Just a theory

My thoughts regarding how the wrong facsimile signature most likely happened on the McLean T205 would be as follows.

When we think about how one might have gathered autographs of luminaries or celebrities back in 1910 a couple of methods seem plausible.

Autograph books were the rage back then so I don't think it would be too much of a stretch if a baseball sportswriters signature might have ended up on a page with a group of baseball signatures. When the page was viewed at a later time the person simply may have assumed it was the ball player McLean amongst the other baseball player signatures when it actually was the baseball sports writer's signature.

It's also quite possible that someone would have stored a large collection of autographs in the old oak filing cabinet(s) that were used during this time period. The autographs may have been put on index cards or small pieces of paper and gathered in person or via mail request. These autograph cards would most likely have been sorted either alphabetically or in categories such as baseball or sports. Again it would be pretty easy to grab a card that the signature could be either McLean or MacLean.

One last thought is that the biography on the back of the McLean card notes that," He played with various teams "way down East" till 1903, when he was tranferred to Chicago..." Hey...wasn't there a sports writer in Chicago with a similar name?

Just a thought.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205 back.jpg (39.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 06-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

The autographs on the fronts of t205s were most likely all done by the artist, they are not reproductions of actual autographs. Therefore, they would not need exemplars. The ATC was in business to make money and would do this as cheaply as possible meaning they would just get the artist to draw an auto. on a pic. I still think the McLean was just a mistake.

Joshua