NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM
J@m3s @ndr3ws

Default Stolen pre-war collection in VT? (Link to a thread at BO)

I think I might be breaking a rule linking to a thread at a different forum, but I figured this might be an exception. Nothing useful has been said yet, so there are no specifics beyond 'everything important pre-war plus a Ruth signed ball' but figured better safe than sorry when it comes to spreading the word.

Huge Vintage Collection Stolen in VT

Last edited by jandr272; 11-26-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Alex

That sucks
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is some more info that I received from REA to distribute...Thanks REA!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:11 PM
Subject: Police Notification - Possible Incoming Items

Good afternoon,
Please find attached a notification and supporting documents regarding items that may be offered or presented to your agents for appraisal, grading or sale in the future. The items are notable and originate in the Burlington, VT area having been stolen in the course of a residential burglary earlier this month. Of specific note, the baseball is a 1928 Murderers Row signed ball with Ruth's signature obtained and dated separately in 1930. The attached images are likeness-only as the collector did not individually catalog his collection; a separate group photograph is available upon request.

Det. Hemond
Burlington Police

Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

$30,000 reward offered but the collection wasn't catalogued or scanned even for insurance purposes. Crazy.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
$30,000 reward offered but the collection wasn't catalogued or scanned even for insurance purposes. Crazy.
Imagine the letter to the judge if it had been consigned to Mastro in the day.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Eric Bea.chley

This is totally ridiculous. He knows it's valued at $300,000, they are all pre-1933, mostly near-mint, and yet no pictures or even an inventory listing. I'm calling BS on this one. Probably fakes if they even existed. Insurance fraud anyone?

Last edited by egbeachley; 11-26-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
This is totally ridiculous. He knows it's valued at $300,000, they are all pre-1933, mostly near-mint, and yet no pictures or even an inventory listing. I'm calling BS on this one. Probably fakes if they even existed. Insurance fraud anyone?
Well, if he has insurance he would have to keep some kind of inventory of the cards and some proof he bought them.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Trey

How you do not have pictures of a 300K collection is beyond me. But perhaps someone found out that this guy had no pictures, a completely raw collection, and saw it as a golden opportunity.

This should serve as a reminder to all of us. If you expect insurance money or a decent chance at recovery you need pictures. And possibly also a reminder to be careful who you tell about your collection and its value.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Fred

Just out of curiosity, were Lionel Carter's cards cataloged and photo documented? Were any of his cards graded before the theft?

I bet there are a few collections out there owned by older collectors that are not tech savvy and these collectors just never thought about insuring or otherwise inventorying the cards. I know that sounds unrealistic in today's world, but I'm going to guess it's not totally unusual.

How many of you have a full photodocumented inventory, or even close to a fully documented inventory complete? How many of you have the slab numbers of all the cards you own? Just curious.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Rhett Yeakley

So what exactly are people even supposed to be on the lookout for other than a "Murderers Row" baseball? How would we even know we were looking at said collection?

I can understand not having photos or a typed inventory but you gotta give us more than there were "a bunch ($300K is a LOT) of old baseball cards stolen"? Which sets, mostly T's, E's or R's. Any extreme rarities/unique cards that if they show up would really help to point to this particular collection. Seems strange but hopefully if they were stolen they eventually find their rightful home.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
So what exactly are people even supposed to be on the lookout for other than a "Murderers Row" baseball? How would we even know we were looking at said collection?

I can understand not having photos or a typed inventory but you gotta give us more than there were "a bunch ($300K is a LOT) of old baseball cards stolen"? Which sets, mostly T's, E's or R's. Any extreme rarities/unique cards that if they show up would really help to point to this particular collection. Seems strange but hopefully if they were stolen they eventually find their rightful home.
This has been bothering me too. Surely, this guy has a few other items with distinguishing characteristics.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Does any serious collector, or longtime collector on this board, not have a list of what they have?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Does any serious collector, or longtime collector on this board, not have a list of what they have?
More than you would think.

As in most area's of life, people only act after an event such as this has happened, not before. Like getting a burglar alarm after you have been robbed. Never thought you would need one before, much like needing a list of cards you assembled over a lifetime. Guys like the old timers, simply amassed vast numbers of cards, tucked them away and never gave much thought to anything else.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

As in most area's of life, people only act after an event such as this has happened, not before. Like getting a burglar alarm after you have been robbed. Never thought you would need one before, much like needing a list of cards you assembled over a lifetime. Guys like the old timers, simply amassed vast numbers of cards, tucked them away and never gave much thought to anything else.
I have thousands of cards and there is no way to know what I have, to every last card (just like the strip card I just showed in that thread), without a list. But i hear ya and you are probably right.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Odd story. I'd think anyone with that valuable of a collection would have some method to track them.

Two pages from Lionel Carters T206s.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 AM

More appropriately most collectors like Carter only keep a "want list", once they have it, it gets marked off. No need for a list of what you have, you already have it, to them such a list was not needed.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM
pete ullman

I don't think it's unusual for "older" collectors...who most likely amassed their collections decades ago...to have images of all of them?
Maybe not the smartest thing...but not unusual?!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default well

if you know how much you cards are worth and claim $300,000...you would think you would have proof ...i know insurance companies would want that

if you just collect for fun and would never think about selling them or giving them any monetary value then yeah i can understand not having any type of list..but i can also understand why they wont recover anything if stolen as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I don't think it's unusual for "older" collectors...who most likely amassed their collections decades ago...to have images of all of them?
Maybe not the smartest thing...but not unusual?!
I agree. I started collection on the early 60's and never had even a partial inventory. Now that I sell and mainly buy online I see the importance of pics and scans.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 AM
pete ullman

This story is definitely a bit "odd" to me...in regards to the details and estimated values...but the fact the owner did not have an inventory or pics is NOT odd to me at all. Additionally the declaration that all cards are nmt-mt...is also not entirely true by todays standards.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Totally agree.. and I work for an Alarm company as a technician I see this over and over.. One thing my father who had a nice collection himself told me over and over to NEVER tell anyone what ya got. To me that includes uploading any pictures on any open forums.. Never will, sorry..
Old 11-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Every collector's worst nightmare. Even if insured to the hilt and provable, still a horrible experience.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Ethan

Yeah, I agree.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that a fellow collector has lost their collection! This string is a call for help; not meant to be a debate about what the collection was worth, if it was insured, or if the cards were NM. As a fellow collector and a Vermonter, I will do whatever I can to keep my eye out for this missing collection.

Ethan

Last edited by LincolnVT; 11-27-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
Yeah, I agree.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that a fellow collector has lost their collection! This string is a call for help; not meant to be a debate about what the collection was worth, if it was insured, or if the cards were NM. As a fellow collector and a Vermonter, I will do whatever I can to keep my eye out for this missing collection.

Ethan
I agree this is a nightmare situation...but...this is a message board...that's what we do here?
Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 PM

I feel for the collector. This is why I keep my collection in the bank.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I agree this is a nightmare situation...but...this is a message board...that's what we do here?
We're basically told to look out for some common, ungraded cards with no specific identifying characteristics. I'm on it.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default update....

I'd like to clear up some confusion that I see in this thread:

#1 The cards were NOT reported by the victim to be NM or NM/MT. The official police report says "good to new condition". That is a LARGE range as we all know.

#2 It is likely that the victim did NOT have insurance so all you "insurance scam" folks can settle down.

#3 The gentleman was known to have shown his collection to many in his neighborhood (he was proud of it) and had folks in and out of his house that have seen the collection. I myself never heard of the guy and only can think that he was strictly old school and was very proud to have amassed such a collection and was INCREDIBLY trustworthy (unfortunately). I am not so trusting and this case shows us why.

#4 There is currently a REAL $30,000 reward for the collection or the bulk of it.

#5 The debate about him not having a list, photos, or proof just shows me that some of you have not been around this hobby long enough to remember that it once was a "cheap" hobby and fairly crime free. Times have changed but for this guy, he still lived in that world. Remember the Captain of the Titanic who never had a shipwreck and was at the helm of the unsinkable Titanic? I liken it to this gentleman. He had a collection that he owned for over 50 years so his "cost" was minimal. He had never had any problems showcasing or talking about his collection..........and then the iceberg hit!

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Tragic.

All of the above info was obtained by me personally in a direct meeting with the Burlington Police on this case.

peace, mike
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
We're basically told to look out for some common, ungraded cards with no specific identifying characteristics. I'm on it.
Me too Jeff. If anyone sees some old baseball cards being sold please report them to the VT police dept. for your 30k reward.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Odd story. I'd think anyone with that valuable of a collection would have some method to track them.

Two pages from Lionel Carters T206s.

Thanks for posting this!

I own the Barry.

Now I have before & after photos.

Jantz