NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Default Topic: Scanners and Scanning Tips

Hello all,

With all of these great scans I see of slabs it's actually making me feel like I could step up my scanning game.

Any preferred scanners? Any tips or settings you could offer the group?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have a question to add, what is "unsharp mask" on the scanner setting, and should raw/slabbed cards use this setting?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM
N.ate A.dams

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-B11B2002...=epson+scanner

I highly recommend it. Aside from being fast and providing incredible clarity - it also provides software (Media Impression) that makes it easy to stay edit and crop - while also staying organized with the files.

Regarding "unsharp mask": The "unsharp" of the name derives from the fact that the technique uses a blurred, or "unsharp," positive image to create a "mask" of the original image. The unsharped mask is then combined with the negative image, creating the illusion that the resulting image has greater visual acuity than the original. (wikipedia)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM
N.ate A.dams

Keep an eye out this week for scanners on Amazon. During their "black friday week", there really are some phenomenal deals.

Last edited by npa589; 11-18-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM

I use an Epson V33, they are dirt cheap and available at many retailers online and brick&mortar.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Terry
Ter.ence Le.wis

Nate did you scan all those slabs in your ebay store using the epson v33?

Anyone else that can offer advice? What, specifically, does a scanner need to scan a slab very well?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I have both an Epson 3490 and Epson 4990 and have no complaints about either. The 3490 gets the most use as it is my general workhorse, with the 4990 being reserved for slides and negatives. Both handle the "depth" of cards in slabs quite well. I worked my first 3490 to death (thousands upon thousands of scans), and when it finally seized up, picked up another one used for about $30 and I'm off and running again

I also have a Mustek ScanExpress A3 that I use for large-format photos and prints (larger flatbed scanner, takes up a lot of desk space). I would NOT recommend it for slabbed cards, as the LED scanner does not handle "depth" well. If it's flat against the glass, it works great, but even that small amount of separation from the card being in a slab will cause the scan to be slightly blurry.

Based on my own experience, I would recommend any Epson scanner, though there certainly may be other suitable manufacturers.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Arnie

You need to buy a CCD scanner. There is another type, i forget what it is, something like CCI or whatever. A CCD (charge coupled device) scanner will do cards in slabs great.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

I use an Epson NX415. I got mine as a freebie when I bought my laptop and I love it! Never had any problems with it. Scans slabs beautifully.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Stylus-N.../dp/B0026ZPK34

It's an all-in-one (scanner, copier, printer)so it takes up minimal desk space as well.

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 11-18-2012 at 06:35 PM.