NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default Welcome to N54BB, Please introduce yourself!

Last edited by Ladder7; 09-15-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Steve Murray

Steve Murray

Age 66
Semi-Retired Real Estate Lawyer (That should explain the semi-retired label)

Navy Vet 1961-1964 Signalman

Married 35 years
Three Children
Two Grandchildren

Claim to fame: Was present at Wrigley Field on May 12, 1970 when Ernie hit his 500th home run.

Primary collecting focus on Pacific Coast League
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Chris Stufflestreet.

I live in Jacksonville, FL but was born and raised in a tiny town in Upstate NY.

I've been a collector since age 5 (1978), beginning with Star Wars cards and moving to baseball cards the next year. Still remember to this day pulling a Thurman Munson card from a wax pack about 2 days after his plane crashed (and still own that very card). I am an "armpit" collector, as it fits in quite nicely with my budget.

I am a veteran of the U.S. Army (served during the Gulf War). I was a satellite technician for Uncle Sam, which became an entry into my current method of paying my bills: I'm a communications technician for Comcast. Although that really looks like a fancy way of saying I'm a "cable guy" I also work on all of Comcast's other products (telephone, internet, even business services).

I hold a bachelor's degree from the State U. of New York in communication and have slowly been working on a master's degree in leadership for the past two years.

I have also designed two websites from the ground up. One lists every hit single (45 RPM) and Top 40 LP from the 1970s -- my other illness -- and the other is a list of vintage baseball card sets (link below). I have written a (now out-of-print) booklet on the history of our hobby as well as several magazine articles and have threatened to write more when I feel the world is unaware of what I'm about to unleash...

Most of all, I have been married to my wife for 13 years and am the proud father of a little girl named Melissa who will turn 11 next Friday. She just finished having a blast at the National, where she was proud to annoy her (Yankee fan) Dad by insisting on wearing her Red Sox jersey.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Rich Klein

Default Chris -- you'd be amazed how many people

Including myself are fans both of old cards and old music. Please post link to your music websites

Regards
Rich
Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Default OK Rich...but remember: You asked for it...

Here's my music site link. It's on Geocities right now and will be moved next month before Yahoo shuts that host down.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default New to 54

My Name is Jeff Weisenberg
I have been a full time and pert time dealer in sports cards and memroabilia for 30 years. I worked and was head buyer for Rotman Collectibles/Auctions from 1978 to 1995. In 1995 I left to start my own company National Card Investors which I still run part time today. I specialize in pre 1980 sports related material.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Scott S

Default Nice idea!

Scott Sarian
36 years old, also Boston born and bred
Married with one "child" (the very hairy one pictured in my avatar, a Wheaten Terrier named Murphy)
Currently unemployed Finance guy (anyone with any Finance jobs in Boston, let me know!), finishing up my Masters at BU right now

E and T cards are my thing these days, but always take a look at anything pre-war and am always interested for the right price! (I most certainly swim in the sea of mediocrity in the E and T ponds!)

Red Sox are my favorite team; for those in the Boston area, I'll be on two episodes of a new NESN show beginning in October called "The Batter's Box", a Red Sox based trivia show!

Last edited by scooter729; 08-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Rich Klein

Default Chris; at least one addition to your site

An very obsucre song called "Long Lonesome Highway" hit #12 in 1970 by Michael Parks; and it was the theme for "Then Came Bronson" starring -- Michael Parks.

You can add that to your top 20 TV themes list

Rich
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Bill T.

I'm Bill Todd

Age 53

My wife couldn't care less about baseball, but still we've been married 20 years.

I'm an editor for a publisher in Rockville Maryland, focusing on health and medicine. I have a freelance business on the side writing indexes for medical texts and review guides.

I have a '62 Senators yearbook, so I must have been 5 when my dad took me to my first game, but i don't remember anything about it except how incredibly green the field is when you walk into the stadium. I still get that thrill whenever I walk through the gate and see the field, even at the minor league Frederick stadium.

I didn't start out as an armpit collector, but, as someone said in the "Why don't you post?" thread, I couldn't afford some of the cards I have now (at least in that condition). So, I've decided to pay more attention to the "well-lovedness" of a card rather than just its pristine beauty.

All along I've concentrated on Washington cards. It didn't take long to fill out many of the major postwar sets, but there are still scattered cards I need--mostly because I can't see paying $3 postage for a $2 card.

So I've just been puttering along, picking up an item here or there. While I won't be adding a Johnson anytime soon (they're among the items that I bought years ago that I wouldn't buy now), I can get a kick out of finding that Milan P2.

Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Tom A

Default Intro

Tom Auchter

32 years old, married with two young boys, live in Durham, NC.

I started collecting vintage cards in 2000 after I got a job out of college. Initially just T206 (29 to go...), but also anything else I can get my hands on cheaply, I've got cards from a couple dozen of the various pre-war sets. Most acquisitions are via ebay, but I've traded with a few people over the years. Actually just now returning to collecting after about a 3-4 year hiatus while work and family life took most of my time. Before the break I mainly lurked on the collecting message boards that preceded this one, so I recognize many of the names here.

Most of my cards are beaten up to some extent, but I still love them. Have grand visions of passing them down to the boys years from now.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Barry Arnold

Default hi

barry arnold, 58 years next month.
married 25 years this month.
Professor for nearly 30 years---a number of different fields along the way,
including philosophy, religious studies, interdisciplinary humanities,
allied health, life sciences, biology.
Medical ethics and psychoanalysis are my specialties.
Written around 25 articles over the years, authored one book(ethics)co-authored
another(ethics), and edited 11 volumes on psychoanalysis.
I also have a counseling practice, limited to those in health care and psychotherapy.
Alumnus of Davidson College,Rice University, Emory University.
T206 is my game but also do packs and type collecting.
Have been with this board 5+ years and will never leave.
best,
barry
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Dustan Hedlin

Dustan Hedlin
27 years old
I live in Peru, IL...I have lived in small towns in IL all my life.
I am a Supervisor at a PetSmart distribution center in Ottawa, IL.
I have a BS in Elementary Education, graduated from Western Illinois University in 2005.
I have no kids, and I'm not sure if I want to have any. Maybe one in a few years.
Along with collecting pre-war cards, I enjoy collecting autographed baseballs, hard to find cards of alumni from the University of Michigan football and basketball teams.
I like to read anything from sports books to philosophy to war novels to Calvin and Hobbes.
I am a die hard U of Michigan football fan. I have more fun watching them than I ever have watching the Cubs.
I have been to all 30 MLB stadiums, except for new Yankee Stadium and the new Mets park. Going to those next year.
Now that my friends and I have hit all the MLB parks, we are working on all the college football stadiums in the Big 10. We have been to 5 of the 11. We also intend to get to random bigger programs, like USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. We went to the Florida Auburn game in the swamp 2 years ago when Auburn won on a last second FG. I paid $75 for a student ticket and a student ID.
My favorite color is blue and my favorite food is tacos.

That is all.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:06 AM

Dave Williams, age 46 Warsaw, Indiana.

I own a janitorial and packaging supply company. I am married with 5 children, 4 daughters ages 9 to 18 and a son age 7. My 18 and 14 year old daughters are High School soccer players for Warsaw HS. They just won their first game 9 to 0. I still play softball and soccer somewhat competitively, but gave up basketball a few years back.

I was raised in Central Illinois, and am a die hard St. Louis Cardinal fan, and have over 200 unique Lou Brock cards and memorabilia. I am currently working on obtaining cards of the top 10 at each position all time for the Cardinals.

I am an active member of the Warsaw Wesleyan Church, we have also been foster parents for about 15 years, taking in around 100 children over that span.

I am a graduate of Grace College, Winona Lake, Indiana with a degree in business.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Bob Hamlin

Bob Hamlin: 37
Live in a suburb of Philadelphia. My dad and I have been collecting cards since the mid 80's at the "old" Willow Grove card show at the George Washington Motor Lodge.
I work in a dermatopathology labratory as a supervisor for 6 years now.
Married for 14 years and a father of two.
I coach baseball almost 9 months a year for a local league and a travel team

We have been lurkers on this website for probably 5-6 years without ever posting. We currently are going through a transition phase with our collection....(collecting on a budget stinks), we have gone from trying to obtain a card for every HOF'r, but most of the 19th century guys ( our true passion) has become very difficult. Thanks to Leon and the other moderators for doing a great job with this site.....its a good retreat from reality sometimes. The stuff that people own on this site is amazing and I will try to post from time to time.

Last edited by Bobsbats; 12-11-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Andy Palmer

Andy Palmer

I went to my first ball game at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto during the 1985 season. Bell, Barfield, Moseby, Griffin, Fernandez, etc were my favourites growing up. I was also a huge Gary Carter fan (my grandmother got me a team signed Expos ball at spring training in 1982) and I still collect his cards today.

I was a comic geek growing up and I worked at Lookin' for Heroes Cards & Comics during my high school years in Kitchener, Ontario. It was during this time that I joined their N.L. Rotisserie Baseball League. From there I started to collect baseball cards. Went to University of Waterloo for my BA, and York University in Toronto for my B.Ed. I'm now a special education teacher in Kitchener, Ontario.

I've been married for 6 years and loving every second of it. We have a beautiful early 19th century arts & crafts home with all the original parts (everything from heating grates to door knobs and hinges). As you can see, transitioning into pre-war baseball cards isn't too much of a stretch for me. I'm a type collector with my eye on Old Judge cards. I also love the T200 Fatima set. I'd like to complete it some day.

Oh. And I love hockey. Pretty Canadian, eh?

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 08-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Rob

Default Longtime lurker,rare poster

Rob Ray
51 YO;reside in Brooklyn, NY
Married ,no kids
Been working in television for 30 years.
Currently senior editor at a major cable network that is about to merge with another major cable network (not public news yet so I can't mention specifics).
Have done everything from editing to directing to voice-over announcing to character voices on TV and commercials. Now it's only commercial/program editing as I look towards retirement (hopefully not forced retirement,though) in the near future.
PLayed college baseball (Hofstra) on scholarship;injury put the kaibosh on that dream! Enjoy going to minor league games all over the country with my wife.
Mom's uncle was old-time Brooklyn pitcher Nap Rucker. Visiting him down south when I was a mere lad (he was elderly but still sprite) pushed my interest in baseball history and collecting.
Don't collect much of anything anymore;have focused mostly on selling my collection for the last 12 years (most of it is gone).I began with a collection of my dad's Goudey cards,and some leftover childhood Topps cards...way back in 70s. Upgraded almost every Topps set (54-80) over the years;sold most of them over time. Had some unopened tobacco packs a dozen years ago,too,wish I still had them. Along with since-sold collection of unopened
50s-70s baseball and non-sports material;all gone.
Love lurking here...it's like a veritable online candy store for vintage history buffs like myself. First site I flip to while "warming up" at work in the morning is this one right here. Love it. Love reading and envying what everyone owns and collects/sells here.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM

I have been collecting since childhood in the mid-'70s.
Primary interests are pre-WWI including E cards, N cards, and T206s. Increasingly I am getting interested again in Topps cards from the '50s and '70s
I am a patriotic veteran peace activist with several tours of duty that have resulted in numerous arrests for acts of civil disobedience.
I have been a professor of philosophy and religion (specializing in Indo-Tibetan Intellectual History) since 1999.
Author of one book, co-author of another (forthcoming early 2010), editor of a third, author of more than 20 articles on Buddhist thought and practice, and translator for the Dalai Lama among others.
JimB
Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Rich Klein

Default Rich Klein

Male
Looking for full-time work (am doing some part-time ventures, would prefer to stay in the hobby)
Hobby Expert so to speak
Edited Beckett Almanac from 1996-2007
Interests: Information and Knowledge

Regards
Rich
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Richie Bono
38 male from Queens NY Married for 7 yrs. Have two sons Matthew-6 Patrick-2
Love this site. Working on putting together t206 set. I am half way there. Thanks to all guys i bought from on BST.

Last edited by richieb315; 08-22-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Rick Froman

Default Hello, I am

Rick Froman from Auburn, Washington. I will be 64 next month. Married for 40 years. Two children and three grand children. I am a mainframe computer programmer who has worked at Pemco in Seattle for 29 years. I collect a lot of different cards sets and get fixated on finishing once I have started. I am currently working on the 56 Topps (need 4 more) and the E120 1922 American Caramel set of which I need 4 or 5 more. I grew up a Giant fan and still remember seeing Mays when the Giants played the farm team here in Tacoma. I still have many of the cards I collected from my childhood days and most of them are still in pretty good condition.
I sincerely enjoy reading the entries on this site. They have given me a world of information that I could not have picked up any place else. Thank you.

Rick
Old 08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Mike

Mike Brockman
44years old
Married 18years with 3 children ( 2 girls and a very active 8 yr old boy)
Undergrad at Murray State University in western part of Ky.
Veterinary School at Auburn University (WAR EAGLE) Graduated 1991
Born and raised in Louisville, Ky. and practice small animal medicine here.

Altough I have collected cards since 1974, I bought my first tobacco card at the National in Atlanta in
1992. I have been to every National since.
I now collect n172, Bf2, R312, T202, T205, T206, M101-2, HoF cards, various E cards, Old store model
bats, Player endorsed Pre WW2 gloves in origianl box, Cabinet cards, 14" Mini Bats, and anything else
that catches my eye. I can't seem to stay focused, so I don't have any complete sets.
I would like to get other vintage collectors in this area together for a meet and greet sometime in the near future.

Last edited by cliftons8; 08-22-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Not finished
Old 08-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Introduction

Hi, I am Kent Robinson, a small budget collector living in Colorado Springs for the past 8 years. I'm 55 years old, married for 31 years, with 2 grown kids, a graduate of the University of Iowa. I presently work for the USPS as a letter carrier after working for 20 years for a fulfillment company in Des Moines, Iowa.

I joined Net 54 probably 2 years ago and have used this site to educate myself on the hobby and also to read and enjoy the stories. I have only viewed until now, mainly because I don't have anything to say and, with a limited budget, most of the discussion is interesting but not relevant to me.

My collecting interests have really narrowed over the past 3 years due to my wife being laid off from her job and family health issues. I started collecting in the early 1990s as my oldest son started taking an interest in sports. I started with cards but after about 5 years started branching off into more oddball memorabilia, mainly books, board games and Des Moines, Iowa/Western League baseball memorabilia.

My collecting now is almost strictly limited to Western League, Iowa and Des Moines vintage baseball stuff, from the 1920s through the 1950s. ( I lived in Des Moines for almost 35 years, thus the interest in Des Moines)

I find this site fascinating and enjoy tremendously reading the posts.

Thanks to all involved!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Murr the Blurr

Default Punching in ...

Turning 53 tomorrow, which will mark my 35th year as a "serious" collector. Like most up here in the Great White North, my collection was originally rooted in hockey cards and memorabilia, but about 20 years ago I decided to concentrate almost exclusively on vintage boxing. Photos, posters and other ephemera have become my main focus, with a heavy emphasis on '60s heavyweights. A sportswriter by profession, I've had the privilege of interviewing and getting to know many of the guys I grew up cheering for, which adds a nice dimension to my collecting.

Between working, watching TV and feeding my collecting habit, I've managed to author five books in the past nine years (working on a sixth). Took a hiatus from the daily grind in 2004-05 to spend 14 months in Beijing as a sports columnist for the largest English-language publication in Asia.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM

I'm Dan Paley 58 (in 3 days). I'm in suburban Philly and remember the "Philly Show" in Willow Grove and at it's previous location in the Chestnut Hill section of Philly. I collect Met and Seaver items and deal part time.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 PM

I'm Rob Garcia, 41
New York City
No wife, no kids (no headaches *snicker*)
Currently a Data Center supervisor
I'm an Ichiro fan and have been dabbling in tobacco cards every now and then for a few years now, but I still consider myself a neophyte. I am very interested in tobacco horse racing cards. My favorite set is the 1938 Wills' Cigarettes Racehorses and Jockeys.

Currently collecting T206 Bergen (batting) backs. I don't have the same kind of bankroll most of you have, so my collection is extremely limited.

I usually lurk and learn.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Bruce C.

Bruce

43, married with 3 kids

Currently live in Buffalo, NY area

Retired active duty military, current federal employee

Been collecting since '78, mostly current with some dabbling in 50's and 60's sets. Stopped buying new stuff about 2 years ago, and I'm now looking at starting a pre-war baseball set. I just haven't decided which one yet.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Dave H@rford

I'm Dave Harford

I am 42 years old, married for 19 years, with 3 daughters. I am currently on active duty in the military and have been for almost 21 years.

I started card collecting in the mid 70's. Being a huge Red Sox fan, I focused by collections there, although I still had to have 1 of every card. Completed sets from 1970 to 1993, to include update sets, but with the revolution of the early 90's to rare insert cards, I gave up that type of collecting. My focus then be came Ted Williams. I gobbled up any card/memorabilia/autograph/photo and everything else Ted Williams I could find. I have nearly every type of Williams item except a few rare or expensive cards/items that I have not either been able to find, or cannot afford.

About 3 years ago, my interest swung to T206 HOF's. I have even now "fine tuned" this to collecting certain variation sets.
Example 1) T206 Frank Chance Yellow portrait back variation set
Example 2) Hugh Jennings One Hand front variations
Example 3) T205 Christy Mathewson back variations.

Most currently, mainly due to budget, I have limited collecting to the few remaining Ted Williams items that strike me, and a few pre-war players that had something in common with my life or family/coincidence/attraction found as I was researching the early baseball era.

Always evolving.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Clayton

Default Hello

Clayton Jessup,age 38,live in Las Vegas.I am new to this site,and just love it!!I also love the T-206 set,am currently building my collection (have a long way to go).I own around 40 now,all graded SGC or PSA,and have a few E-cards,Goudey's,and 1 1915 Cracker Jack.My wife and I are hardcore Dodger fans,before moving to Las Vegas 6 years ago,we lived 15 minutes from Dodger stadium.That is one of the things we miss the most-Dodger games.I am a city bus driver here in Vegas.It's nice to meet you all,thanks for all your time and knowledge!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Doug C.

Default Hello!

I'm Doug, age 28, near Cincinnati, OH (no wife or kids). I've been collecting on and off (currently off ) For about the past 11 years. I was a viewer/infrequent poster to the original Full Count board when I started collecting in 1998. I started collecting 1952 Topps with my first experience with pre war cards being T206s. I've also collected N172s, '50s-'60s Topps along with some other random cards thrown in.

Last edited by Doug; 08-23-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:08 PM
John Spano

John Spano

37 years old. I have been married eight years and have a daughter and son and a Jack Russell Terrier that turned ten yesterday.

I started collecting in 1978 and have never stopped. I started pre-war stuff in the mid-80's. I collect football and baseball...pretty much anything from the 19th century until today. My current focus is football HOFers, Colgan's Chips, and anything else that looks good to me.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Todd Marcum, partner in an ad agency in Roanoke Virginia. Once interview with Rich Klien to be a writer at Beckett...probably turned out better that I didn't get the job (it was for Hockey, which isn't my main interest).

A former shop owner and show promoter, I have not actively dealt in cards since 1993 or so when I sold my shop.

I am 48 and I coach aau baseball, with little effect, truth be told. My son is a power hitting third baseman who looks more like a football player at 14 years old, 5'11 and a muscular 175. He has the collecting bug as well. We normally go to shows in Chantilly and the Moeller show Thanksgiving weekend. I also have a wonderful daughter, great wife and a redbone hound.

I have collected pre-war cards for a very long time....my first T206 was a Snodgrass. While I collect some new cards...I got this weird thing where I collect serial numbered cards, numbered 001/100 or 01/50 or 0001/2500 and Marshall University former players...picked up a 1955 Ashland Oil Marshall College Big Green set last year at Cincy. Looking forward to the national in Baltimore next year...I have been to three previously...Atlanta, Atlantic City and Houston.

I still pick up pre-war, but i have to have a hankering for it. Most of the things I need are pretty expensive and it seems that putting it in college fund is more sensible.

I also like to play APBA baseball, old-fashioned dice version...anyone else?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Jimmy

Default Please introduce yourself! Reply to Thread

Jimmy Piccuito

Born in Boston in 1975
Hugh Sports Fan - Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Pats
I also enjoy Boxing and Lacrosse
married 10 years to my wife Elaine and have two wonderful children
full time cartographer/engineer
started collecting when I was 9 years old
I setup at local shows and the Wilmington, MA show
sometimes a few New York shows and Philly
I have my own website www.jbsportsauctions.com
support net54, because it’s one of the best resources
collect much of what I sell, but mostly pre-war cards and memorabilia
bought my first T206 collection in 2001, and started collecting pre-war in 1999
I really enjoy the day to day of the hobby, and always find time to learn more.
helping others with one item or a collection is always fun

Take care

Jimmy
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Rhett Yeakley

31 years old. I have been married since 2001, and in 2007 we had our first, a daughter.

I began collecting in 1986 right as I was getting over collecting G.I.Joe figures and have never really stopped (with a small hiatus while living in Southern Ecuador for two years as a 19-21 years old).

My main collecting focuses are Colgans Chips (E254 & the two E270 sets), Zeenut cards (mainly the pre-B/W 1911-1923 cards), E121 & all related backs, and Player Pinbacks pre-1930. The last one goes in spurts, I really love the Cameo Pepsin pinbacks but I rarely get to add them to my collection (currently own 10-11 of them).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-23-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Max Weder

Max Weder

Vancouver, BC

Mainly a book and ephemera collector, but have dabbled in Pacific NW cards for the last 10 years or so.

My main claim to fame is a talented spouse Jennifer Ettinger who paints in the baseball area (as well as dogs, kids, etc).

Photos thanks to kawika

Last edited by baseballart; 08-23-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Bradley Holt

Max, that's sure an awesome PCL jersey, do you sell them?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Max Weder

Brad

It's an Ebbets Field Flannels jersey of the Vancouver Beavers of the NW league. They are being sold at Nat Bailey gift shop, and if I recall correctly, there's one left -- medium size. I don't know if Jerry Cohen has made anymore but if medium isn't your size, you can connect Jerry at http://www.ebbets.com
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Bradley Holt

Default the jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Brad

It's an Ebbets Field Flannels jersey of the Vancouver Beavers of the NW league. They are being sold at Nat Bailey gift shop, and if I recall correctly, there's one left -- medium size. I don't know if Jerry Cohen has made anymore but if medium isn't your size, you can connect Jerry at http://www.ebbets.com

I’d rather preserve and get the Beavers NW jersey framed hung on a wall as a collectors piece. Max thanks for the info I’ll make sure to get one.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Jeff

Default My turn

Jeff Schwarz
53 years old
Strikingly handsome bald guy
Like sunsets and walks along the beach...........oops, not a dating site...

Anyway, been married for 25 years this Oct. to someone who liked wrappers and press pins because they are cool sports art, so those have been a collecting concentration.

Have 3 great kids, a boy who graduated from the University of Illinois and actually got a job (Yippee!), another boy who is a senior at the University of Iowa is an RA and is taking the LSAT in a couple weeks. The princess is last in line and is a senior in a suburban Chicago high school, playing tennis and badminton. They like my collection because I get into it but don't really collect.

Luckily had a pack rat for a mom so all my cards survived. On my wedding day, as my wedding present, my uncle comes up to me during the reception and hands me the flap of a cardboard box with about 40 Orbit Gum pins on it. I ask where they came from, and he says there is a box of stuff that came from my late grandma's house. Turns out Dad's collection from the 30's survived!

Dad and I were staples at all the Chicago area shows for years. Even brought the kids when they were little to get their pictures taken with the autograph signers (luckily, no extra fees for a photo op back then). Dad worked on sets from his era (Goudeys, Play Balls, DeLongs, Tatto Orbits, premiums, and exhibits) and I did Topps from 1953-1990. After that, I went to tobacco and finished T200, T201, T205, T206. Also did some autographs and have a complete Perez-Steele set and all the Gold HOF plaques signed. After discovering this Board about a year ago, I was sucked in by the passion for caramel cards and finished sets of E93, E95, and E98.

Dad is 89 now and I miss going to the shows with him but I am trying to finish the sets he started (Exhibits from 1923-24, 1925 - need only Terry, 26 31/32, 33, 25-31 Exhibits, Dietsche, Grignon, Morgan Red Belt, $ in Shield, E121 series of 80, R303-A, R314, R315, and a couple elusive Orbit Gum unnumbered pins).

After getting out of teaching, coaching, and athletic directorship in an elementary district, I coordinate 225 sports officials in 5 sports and assign over 12,000 games per year. Also, I run basketball and baseball tourneys and a 55 team Fall baseball league that started this weekend.

In my spare time, I walk our cock-a-poo, Kelsey (the only female in the house that listens to me), and will come out of retirement this Tuesday to play slow pitch softball with my eldest son. It is a dream come true, but after our two hour practice earlier today, various body parts are screaming in agony and I am being reminded why I stopped playing in the first place.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Johnny S

Johnny Harmonica Stefanich

Turned 39 in June still can't believe how fast time flies. Been collecting since 1978. Last spring turned my focus to collecting Chief Bender and having a blast doing it. Married over 10 years with a almost 5 year old daughter and 2.5 year old son. Hoping to get back to painting sometime soon, been making lots of music over the years- here are a couple videos I did last summer. 'So Alone' was shot up on minnesota north shore highway 61 for any Dylan fans out there-

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...10/RLwxq9mNomE

'Me and my harmonica' shot in north minneapolis just a couple miles from where the new twins stadium will be !!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...11/JTVrg2d7jLE
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 AM

Im Mark

Turned 24 in July.

Did 4 years in the Marines, 2 combat depoyments.

I collect HOF autographs, and will branch into pre war when im not a poor student.

Nuclear medicine will be my bread maker.

I love reading all the knowledge that members have on this board.

No wife and no kids.

Look forward to dealing with some of you in the future.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 AM

1st post ever on this site, here goes

My name is John and i am addicted to baseball cards. Wow, that was easy.

I have been a lurker on here for 2-3 years.

I am 40 years old and live in Cleveland, Ohio.

I started collecting cards in 1976 and have never stopped. I normally work on a set from each era. t-206, w572, 1950 bowman, 1968 topps are my current selections.

I post over at gameuseduniverse and enjoy the memorabilia side of the addiction, excuse me, hobby.

I was married in 2003 and we adopted our daughter in 2006 from russia. I sold a lot of my collection at that time to fund our journey and it was well worth it.

My job is in equipment recovery, imagine Richard Gere in Pretty Woman buying companies and breaking them apart. Just without the hookers.

Some interesting facts about me,

I have over 12 Buddy Bell game used jersey's in my collection

I have been involved with the demo company that has taken down Cleveland Municipal Stadium, The Orange Bowl and currently Yankee Stadium

I once had a 1 in 4,000 chance of winning "The Card' the Gretzky/Mcnall Honus Wagner. The card was won by Patricia Gibbs and sold for $640,000, not that I would remember THAT at all.

I enjoy reading the posts on this forum, even the train wrecks. I have learned a lot about vintage cards and always to take the high road.

take care
John

jonincleve@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Joshua Levine

37 years old. Living in Southern California with my girlfriend.
I started collecting in 1977 and never really stopped.
After 11 years of teaching first grade, for the last two I have been teaching 4th grade in a small suburb north of L.A. (district only has 4 schools).
Other than baseball (Dodgers and Phillies) I like to read, go to movies, and surf the net. I also make mosaic art (latest piece was a desk).

I have two rather large collections. The first is a Phillies collection that spans 1886-1989. I am trying to collect one of everything. My wantlist started out as a 21 page 10 point font monster. Ten years later it is down to 13 pages at a 14 font. Most of it is still prewar.

My other passion is T205s. I have been working with this set for nearly 15 years now. I have been tracking sales for 11 years and have done a great deal of research on the set itself. I have 1 complete master set minus the Hoblitzell no stats. I am still missing a Drum back as well. I have nearly 500 distinct front back combos and nearly 1000 T205s total. I love this set and am always looking to add to the collection (raw, lower grade).
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Barry Sloate

It's great to see so many new posters coming on the board in this thread. Here goes:

Barry Sloate, Age 57
Married for 24 years, no children
Have lived in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn, NY for the past 35 years (same apartment).

Got my B.A. from C.W. Post College and my Master's Degree in English Literature from New York University. Taught college English for three years.

I've been a full time baseball card dealer since 1983, but not very active in the hobby at the moment. My collecting interests include baseball display pieces, rare baseball books, and large cents, but even those have taken a back seat lately.

Love classic rock and jazz, listen to music all the time...that's all I can think of at this time.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Nick Edson

Default Longtime Hobbyist

Nick Edson
55 years old. Married 33 years. 3 kids, 2 grandchildren.

Set up at my first hobby show in Troy, MI in 1972 at age 17. Wrote a monthly column for Baseball Hobby News for years. Hosted a seminar called The Good Olds Days Of Collecting at the first Chicago National.

Was a daily newspaper sports editor for 24 years and was elected to the Michigan Basketball Hall of Fame as a writer in 2004. Produced a book of my favorite 50 columns called Beyond The Games a couple years ago.

Started collecing at age 6 in 1959 and my folks kept all my cards went I went off to college. Later sold all my Bowman sets to Charlie Conlon to help finance a new house. I've completed my Glendale set and now I'm working on a raw Diamond Stars set.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Scott Mt. Joy

Age 41, Single living in Houston, TX, I trade Oil for a living.

Started collecting in 1976 to 1988, took a 15 year break and got back in 2003. Mainly collect everything Roberto Clemente but I'm down to only a few I need so I just could not resist the urge to get into pre war. I am working on a complete run of exhibits 1921-1966 and various E, T and whatever else I like.

I am not much of a baseball fans these days, the last strike ruined it for me, well that and 17 years of losing for my Pirates but I am a die hard Steelers fan and that has more than made up for it.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Hello everyone

I recently joined this forum, so I should introduce myself as well.

Tom Sandlin; 45 years old.
Born and raised in Northwest Indiana.
I'm am aircraft maintenance inspector for a regional airline based at Cincinnati, and have been in this industry for 20 years.
Graduate of Purdue University.

I have been collecting (with various breaks inbetween) since 1969, when my dad would bring a pack or two home with him after he got off from work.

My main focus is building/upgrading my raw sets of 52-79 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, and 65-69 OPeeChee - but I have recently begun a prewar type set of my favorite team, the Chicago White Sox.

While I build my type set, I'm hoping that I'm able to glean as much information as I can about prewar cards from all of the knowledgeable collectors on this board.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Josh Adams

Josh Adams
31 years old, live in Chicago. Great to see another Sox fan on here! Hi Tom!

I am an attorney, practice criminal defense.

Been collecting for a while, got into vintage cards when I found this site about 5 years ago. Finishing up a 49 leaf baseball set,need 1 card for my 1933 Goudey set (yellow ruth), and recently started a pre-war type card set.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Kenny Cole

Kenny Cole

48, attorney. Married, two kids, 21 (and making me crazy) and 8. I now limit my practice to prosecuting insurance bad faith cases which, fortunately for me, keeps me very busy.

I started collecting in 1966, when my dad took me to my first pro game and I saw Koufax pitch during his last season. He became my instant hero and that game is one of my most lasting (and cherished) memories. While I have slowed down on occasion, I never really stopped. Currently I mostly collect stars, HOFers, negro league and latin cards. While I'm not really a set collector, I still occasionally pick up some of the E, T and N cards I still need to knock out the sets, especially when I can't find (or can't afford) the HOF/negro/latin stuff I really like.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Ken Wirt

48 year old chemist/drummer from Springfield, MO. Huge Cardinal fan!

HOF collector - been at it seriously for about 5 years. On this board for about 4.

My collection:
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/triwak/
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Richard Cline

52 years old - High school teacher for 30 years, mainly the "Welcome Back Kotter" types - Have coached basketball, cross country and track at the varsity level for most of those years.

Married, 29 years, 2 daughters and 1 son, the youngest daughter went with me to the Net54 dinner this year and realized her dad is more of a geek than she had thought.

Collect '33 Goudeys and anything Reds as well as anything else that happens to strike my fancy and my budget.

I spend way to much time on this site!!!!

RC