NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Newbie PSA ticket grading questions

I am pondering whether to get into collecting tickets-full and stubs--and would appreciate some basic info on how they are graded. I see some stubs graded authentic while others receive grades with appearances that seem indistinguishable to me. What are they looking at/for? I have seen stubs parted cleanly at the perforation given the "A" while others with uneven edges--either tears inward or surplusage beyond the perforation receiving numbers. Is there at least some logic and consistency that escapes me?

I see from PSA's website that submitters can request a non-numeric, "A" grade for stubs, but did not see that option for full tickets. What advantages are there to foregoing a number? Why would a full ticket receive an authentic grade?--seems even staple holes or writing would make it a poor 1 and not just authentic.

Third,what is the ticket collecting hobby's view of PSA or any other TPG when it comes to grading tickets? I am no fan of the company, and at this point would use them merely to guaranty authenticity. Does their involvement noticeably increase value, and are there significant jumps in price/value between one number and the next?

Finally, what is the value drop-off from a ticket stub that receives a numeric grade to one that is slabbed as "Authentic". I have seen a few World Series stubs marked "A" that look to be nicer than their numeric counterparts-- 1968 comes to mind.

Any help appreciated.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:17 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

You can ask for any ticket or stub to be graded authentic. Most tickets do not grade very high numerically because they get handled more than a baseball card. They have to be taken to a game and then kept in your pocket all night. What tends to happen is that bidders see a low grade on a ticket and use baseball card mentality on it and bid low. Quite frankly a lot of collectors on here don't believe in grading. Personally I've won graded tickets for a low price, cracked them out and sold them for more. Just my opinion.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Richard Simon

My opinion of putting any piece of memorabilia into a plastic tomb: (save your money)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack-PSA.jpg (50.1 KB, 101 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM

If there is a real question of authenticity that you can't resolve on your own or with the assistance of folks here, then I could see using the services of a TPG to help. I doubt that would happen very often. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend spending the money for a grade or an A. And if you want to protect your tickets, there are much cheaper and more attractive ways to do so. I would buy a ticket in a TPG holder but not at a premium, and I'd promptly crack it out.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Todd Schultz

Thanks guys,
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.