NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Aaron

Default Obscure Baseball Card Poster

Hi All,

I was talking to my LCS owner yesterday and he was reminiscing over a poster he used to have in his shop. The poster was of a woman dumping her son's baseball cards into a fire. He said that the poster read something to the effect of "The Great American Tragedy." He was saying that this poster was quite popular when he first started out in the early 80's.

Does this poster sound familiar to anyone? I apologize if this is should be posted in a different section.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Not sure about the poster, but I love your Net54 name (and the food too)!!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Howie Schenker

Aaron,

I totally recall that poster from many years back.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Yep, I remember it but haven't seen one in a while.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:33 PM
qualitycards

Here ya go

Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Aaron

Greg, I agree with you! I love lahmejoon!

Jay, that HAS to be the poster he was referring to. Awesome! The. next question would be, can this be found for purchase anywhere?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:52 PM

Wow... Mom doesn't even look to of gotten ta half of the tragedy yet!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Aaron

I was doing more digging online and found a write-up from 2013 describing the poster. Here is the excerpt from the write up:

At the National Sports Collectibles Show in Anaheim about 20 years ago, one of the dealers had posters for sale. The picture was of an elderly woman in a housedress with her gray hair in a bun. She was standing next to a metal barrel that had flames coming out and she was tossing baseball cards into the fire. The title at the bottom said, "The Great American Tragedy."

It appears that there is another poster out there. The one described in this write-up is more consistent with the description the LCS owner described (cards being thrown into a fire).

Does anyone recall this poster as well?