NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default Fan for a Fan issue

Posted By: Scott M.

I am still searching for high resolution images of the Cobb and Doyle fans from this series to help complete a short article that I wrote for Old Cardboard magazine but, in the meantime, I thought I would share some information that I recently came across regarding this beautiful issue.

These fans have traditionally been listed in the SCD catalog as a 1910 issue and generally attributed to the American Tobacco Company.

This makes sense as you can make out a faint copyright statement on the lower portion of the fan when it is magnified but it is still hard to make out the exact year.

After doing a little research on the issue, I happened to luck out and find the following advertisements which show that the fans were only available for a limited time during the summer of 1913 (not 1910 as listed in the Standard Catalog) and also that these premiums can be directly attributed to the sale of Bull Durham Tobacco.

http://home.comcast.net/~croftscocoa/misc/1913_06_18_Mansfield_Ohio_Fan_Ad.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~croftscocoa/misc/1913_07_31_Grand_Forks_Daily_Herald_Fan_Ad.pdf

I've already passed this information along to Don at SCD but thought the forum might enjoy the information and advertisements as well.

Scott

Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Scott - Great stuff!
I enjoyed seeing your fans in person a couple of months ago.
Looking forward to the article.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy W.

That is the kind of information that money can't buy. You should also post this on the memorabilia site if you haven't already. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

great stuff indeed.. love that Prince Hal fan!!!

martyOgelvie

Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Brennan

Great stuff Scott. I really would be interested in how you came across the ads in your research. Was it a stumble or did you look at countless baseball ads or tobacco ads?

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

great stuff and thanks for sharing.....best regards

Old 08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I wonder if I can contact Mr. Clark or Mr. Burnett and still get my shipment of Fans?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

So the fans were actually tobacco premiums...interesting. We can now catalog them a T-Unc.s, and they will suddenly morph into baseball cards.

Edited to add I was not aware they were already attributed to the ATC.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

I once missed out on a rppc of a cigar store interior. There were about 10 Mathewson Fan For a Fan Fans in the store. It was truly an awesome postcard. I would say it was definately tobacco related.

Clint

Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice work Scott! So are all those Durham tobacco pouches I see all the time going to start commanding a premium?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Scott M.

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

I know it is a long shot but since there are a lot of collectors out there who mostly lurk and only post occasionally, such as myself, I thought that I'd take a chance and see if there is anyone out there who has the Cobb and/or Doyle fans from this issue that wouldn't mind sharing some high resolution scans of either or both of those fans?

I'd really like to add good high resolution images of those two examples to the other three fans which I have access to in order to complete a gallery of the images (in better resolution than what I've displayed above) and maybe even revisit submitting an article to Lyman from Old Cardboard magazine which I had started a couple of years ago on the issue.

If someone can help me out but would rather not post on this thread, I'd be happy to receive the scans (anonymously if you wish) to my email address of phlflyer1@comcast.net.

Regards,

Scott
Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
John Harrell

Default Fans

Those are just awesome. I'd love to have 'em in my memorabilia room.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Archive had been suspended.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.