NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Babe Ruth's "Called Shot"

I don't believe the story of Ruth pointing to the outfield beachers in a World Series game indicating he intended to hit a home run was ever discussed on Net54. Fable or fact?

Several years ago I wrote about the event and put the story on my website.

Two audio embedding codes were used for different OCs.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jspillman/babe-cs.htm
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Johnny S

Great story and one that Lou Gehrig backed up when he said " can you believe the nerve of that big monkey calling his own home run like that !"
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM
David McDonald

Root said that Ruth hadn't pointed to the bleachers. "If he pointed to the bleachers, I would have put one in his ear and knocked him on his ass."
Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Eric Bea.chley

About 5 years ago a video surfaced of the event.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

I thought it was longer ago than that, or was there another one found?

I made a special point of watching the show on TV that showed the film. It was pretty bad film, taken fron under a grandstand roof, so you got underexposed and overexposed images at the same time. It was hard to tell it was even Ruth, but whoever it was waved an arm (or bat) and appeared to point somewhere. But it wasn't clear if he pointed toward the outfield or the dugout, or waved for a hot dog.

On the whole, it was nearly as bad a bit of tv as Al Capones vault.

Steve B
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I worked at Wrigley in the 80's and was able to talk to a few old timers that were there for the game. These were guys that worked at the stadium as grounds crew and an electrician and even George Brace and to a man, they said he never called his shot.

Apparently the Cubs traded for Mark Koenig that year but only voted him a half share of the world series bonus. Since he was a favorite of many of the Yankees, they were giving the Cubs alot grief in the series. When Ruth came to bat the Cubs bench was giving him the business and after the 1st pitch that he let go by he held up a finger and said "thats one!". The next pitch went by and looked towards the Cubs dugout and said "thats two". The next pitch he would hot into the right field bleachers for the infamous home run.

Like I said, each man I talked to said that Ruth never called his shot. I think Ruth even called himself a lucky SOB for that home run!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Mark

It's well established (at least by serious historians) that he did not call his shot. One good source is the very well researched book "Root for the Cubs" by Roger Snell. And yes, if he did - the next pitch would have been thrown at him.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Joe

As is usually the case the story was highly embellished after the fact. Who knows if he called his shot, but it has been clearly described, in many accounts, that Ruth was having a quarrel and words with the cubs players and bench before and throughout the game. Below is a detailed account of the game from a Chicago newspaper the following day. Notice the description of Ruth's at bat in the Fith inning - no mention of a called shot, but an exchange with the Cub's dugout. The Called Shot twist probably came about days or weeks later.